Just need a note of clarification

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
In the Old Testament (specially in the Book of Jeremiaha) we read many times of God's ever consistent promise to uphold Davids Throne:
he says many times that as long as their is day and as their is night, shall their be a descendant on David's Throne.
Im just guessing, but is this descendant on David's Throne, Christ himself, making us the "ever protected people of Israel"?
or is there something I'm not getting?

Comments

• Dear gregory,

After the Incarnation of the Logos all the inheritance promised to Israel in the old Testaments were given to the spiritual Israel, the holy church. The Jews can reclaim back the promises by believing in their Messiah and Lord Jesus Christ.
  • Jesus is a descendent of David through St. Joseph. Jesus has been called by some people in the Bible "the son of David"
  • [quote author=gigglyshy link=topic=6113.msg81687#msg81687 date=1201846167]
    Jesus is a descendent of David through St. Joseph. Jesus has been called by some people in the Bible "the son of David"

gigglyshy is 100% correct, and in addition to his explanation, consider that the word Son in this context does not mean the literal son, but more of a descendant. Hope this helps!!!
  • [quote author=gigglyshy link=topic=6113.msg81687#msg81687 date=1201846167]
    Jesus is a descendent of David through St. Joseph. Jesus has been called by some people in the Bible "the son of David"

Christ Jesus is also a descendent through our Holy Mother of the Church, Virgin Mary (Luke 3).
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=6113.msg81789#msg81789 date=1202075072]
    [quote author=gigglyshy link=topic=6113.msg81687#msg81687 date=1201846167]

Christ Jesus is also a descendent through our Holy Mother of the Church, Virgin Mary (Luke 3).

Oh I didn't know that... thanks for telling me!

Jasmine
  • Well, I could be wrong. Some say that the lineage drawn from the genealogies in Matthew and Luke, are both from the father's side, and having not examined it exhausitively, it doesn't appear to be the case. However, H.G. Bishop Youssef makes this case here http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?qid=232&catid=167 .