Myron

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I was reading about Myron on this website and i found a statement thats kinda shocking... "Then the sanctification of the Myron was fulfilled in Alexandria, and Pope Athanasius was  entrusted with the holy oil (leaven), which contained spices which touched the Lord’s body whilst in the tomb", " What is joyous and comforting, is that whoever is baptized, is anointed by the Myron which contains the spices which were laid on the body of our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ."

Are they saying what i think their saying? or is this a misunderstanding? The the Myron i recieved when baptised contained spices that actually touched Jesus's Body while in the tomb?

Comments

• yes it does... they mix with with those spices every year on pentecost i believe please correct me if i am wrong. then the churches get from it.
  • actually there is another story behind this.

some say that when Jesus was a Child in egypt, st.Mary left a cloth full of Jesus's sweat. Some one found it and smelled it and found a great smell. so he dryed it and took the sweat and put it in a bottle (or somthing like that) and sold it, as a perfume. and who ever bought it found out that the bottle never finishes. so that news spread and some how this perfume/sweat was brought to the apostles long after Christ's death. now they mixed that with the spies from Christ's body and there St.Mark got it and brought it to egypt.
  • It is true I got it from my sunday school teacher.Its hard to believe but I think thats cool
  • I've heard about the first story. That is true. And I believe that every time that it's running low, the Pope adds to the original batch and distributes a portion to every church.

Sleepy
  • When more is added to the batch, there is a big process that the pope and many bishops go through with special prayers on the myron
  • is this only the coptic orthodox church that has this myron? or do any other churches like the greek orthodox have it?
  • I'm pretty sure that only the Oriental Churches have it because when an eastern orthodox is baptised as coptic, we don't do a whole new baptism, the priest just annoints the person with the myron like any other person who is baptised. But like I said before the priest doesn't dunk the person in water again. So, I'm pretty sure they don't have it.
  • and i'd like to add 1 more point,

My Priest once said in a sermon that just like how anything in the church is consecrated with the myron like the paten and chalice which are used solely for communion, we are not to be used for anything but the service of Christ. That is because by our baptism and confirmation, we "consecrate" ourselves as Christians. And our purpose as Christians is to serve God with all our heart.
  • Thats really good to hear. I cant believe im just finding out about this now this is really interesting. Thanx everyone for your reply's. But jsut one more question. When i read about Myron on this website it said that it contained the spices that touched Jesus body while in the tomb, but others here are saying its Jesus sweat from when he was a baby. Does anyone know which story is the correct one, or what the Pope said is the right story?
  • [quote author=His Servant link=topic=6084.msg80979#msg80979 date=1200261329]
    yes it does... they mix with with those spices every year on pentecost i believe please correct me if i am wrong. then the churches get from it.

i think they only do it during holy week. I could be wrong.
    Oh Ya, and I beleive H.H. made a new batch inHoly week of 06
  • [quote author=abkarino22 link=topic=6084.msg81001#msg81001 date=1200363113]
    [quote author=His Servant link=topic=6084.msg80979#msg80979 date=1200261329]
    yes it does... they mix with with those spices every year on pentecost i believe please correct me if i am wrong. then the churches get from it.

i think they only do it during holy week. I could be wrong.
    Oh Ya, and I beleive H.H. made a new batch inHoly week of 06

maybe. but i doubt it. cuz the processes takes DAYS....that's why it's done in a monastery.
  • [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6084.msg80988#msg80988 date=1200296831]
    is this only the coptic orthodox church that has this myron? or do any other churches like the greek orthodox have it?

I believe all the sister churches who share the same beliefs would share the same myron because it would mean the same to all.

Also, I remember hearing that the new batch is usually made during Pentecost. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sleepy
  • no as minagir said the process to make more myron takes days, and is not set to a certain time of year but just when the batch runs low
  • that isnt what i was taught by abouna... i was taught that on the feast of Pentecost the Pope makes more... not when it is running low.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=6084.msg80981#msg80981 date=1200269159]
    actually there is another story behind this.

some say that when Jesus was a Child in egypt, st.Mary left a cloth full of Jesus's sweat. Some one found it and smelled it and found a great smell. so he dryed it and took the sweat and put it in a bottle (or somthing like that) and sold it, as a perfume. and who ever bought it found out that the bottle never finishes. so that news spread and some how this perfume/sweat was brought to the apostles long after Christ's death. now they mixed that with the spies from Christ's body and there St.Mark got it and brought it to egypt.

where did you get this story from? Im having my doubts about it. From what i learned it was the spices
  • [quote author=His Servant link=topic=6084.msg81027#msg81027 date=1200443722]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=6084.msg80981#msg80981 date=1200269159]
    actually there is another story behind this.

where did you get this story from? Im having my doubts about it. From what i learned it was the spices

am not saying it's a FULL true story......it's one that i learned from our rite classes couple of years ago. but again, the spices one is the one that is full true.
  • [quote author=His Servant link=topic=6084.msg81026#msg81026 date=1200443617]
    that isnt what i was taught by abouna... i was taught that on the feast of Pentecost the Pope makes more... not when it is running low.

I heard that when it is running low, it's made during Pentecost. Not just one day or two days, but a process of time. It isn't a yearly thing, nor is it performed at set intervals. When the batch is nearing an end, it is prayed upon and added to. I may be wrong, but that's what I've been taught. It feels like we've all been taught many different things...lol

Sleepy
  • [quote author=sleepymusician link=topic=6084.msg81048#msg81048 date=1200529205]
    [quote author=His Servant link=topic=6084.msg81026#msg81026 date=1200443617]
    that isnt what i was taught by abouna... i was taught that on the feast of Pentecost the Pope makes more... not when it is running low.

I heard that when it is running low, it's made during Pentecost. Not just one day or two days, but a process of time. It isn't a yearly thing, nor is it performed at set intervals. When the batch is nearing an end, it is prayed upon and added to. I may be wrong, but that's what I've been taught. It feels like we've all been taught many different things...lol

Sleepy

well there isn't a set teaching really.....except in the book of the rite which i'll try to find and post.
  • The Myron is  explained in the first half of this page
    http://www.coptichistory.org/new_page_483.htm
    its in Arabic and may require Unicode or Arabic fonts enabled

If you need translation let me know I could do it in the weekends

GBU
  • [quote author=John_S2000 link=topic=6084.msg81067#msg81067 date=1200557833]
    The Myron is  explained in the first half of this page
    http://www.coptichistory.org/new_page_483.htm
    its in Arabic and may require Unicode or Arabic fonts enabled

If you need translation let me know I could do it in the weekends

GBU

why not. if you can. of course if this copy online approved thoo.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6084.msg80986#msg80986 date=1200285808]
    When more is added to the batch, there is a big process that the pope and many bishops go through with special prayers on the myron

How often do they make it? the Armenian Church makes more myron once every seven years, and enough to last that long I guess. They're doing it this year and Armenians from all over the world go to watch whenever they do it. It sounds like the Coptic Church doesn't make a public ceremony out of it.
  • [quote author=gigglyshy link=topic=6084.msg81091#msg81091 date=1200608616]
    [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6084.msg80986#msg80986 date=1200285808]
    When more is added to the batch, there is a big process that the pope and many bishops go through with special prayers on the myron

How often do they make it? the Armenian Church makes more myron once every seven years, and enough to last that long I guess. They're doing it this year and Armenians from all over the world go to watch whenever they do it. It sounds like the Coptic Church doesn't make a public ceremony out of it.

well...i think in the papacy of HH pope Shenouda III, he normally does it every 4 yrs.
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6084.msg80992#msg80992 date=1200316791]
    I'm pretty sure that only the Oriental Churches have it because when an eastern orthodox is baptised as coptic, we don't do a whole new baptism, the priest just annoints the person with the myron like any other person who is baptised. But like I said before the priest doesn't dunk the person in water again. So, I'm pretty sure they don't have it.

The Eastern Orthodox Churches also have myron. And when an Oriental Orthodox person is received into the EO Church, he is not baptised, but only annointed with the myron as you described above. The practice is the same.

I know the myron used at my church is made in Constantinople. I think it's done anually, but can't remember exactly.
  • This might sound retarded but what is the difference between oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox.
  • [quote author=mannan link=topic=6084.msg81201#msg81201 date=1200836830]
    This might sound retarded but what is the difference between oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox.

As of right now- there isn't much of a difference. WE aren't one church but getting to that point God willing there are a lot of forums and books and documents online about it. Basically- its counsel of chalcedon
  • I found a COC book about the subject. It's a big book also in Arabic, so I will try to translate bits here and there to give you more info to cover the main points. This will be done in several posts.

The book explains and reports in great detail the first two Myron preparations recently made since HH Pope Shenouda era. The second preparation was very important because it helped to accurately outline the best ways and correct steps for preparing larger amounts of Myron, the needed precautions and the introduction of modern instruments like electric saw and mill and gas heaters, also when to use metal, glass or plastic containers. It seems the Myron was prepared about six times by HH since he sat on St Mark's Apostolic Chair.

GBU
  • I managed to read about 70% of the book and started translating a very small part, it's in the attachment (word document). Please forgive any inaccuracy of terminology and I do ask you to correct it, also for the following ones. If you prefer it as PDF or else please tell me.

Dates of Holy Myron preparations I know of:
    They was done in about the sixth week of the Holy Lent in 1981, 1987, 1993, and during the feast of the Apparition of the Theotokos in Zeitoun in 1995, and in 2005 (not sure of the last).

I will scan some of the photos in the appendix later. Please pray for me.
    GBU

ps: couldn't upload the zip file (upload folder full again) please take it from here:
    <please go to my last reply - further down>
  • Dear John_S2000,

Thanks a lot for translating the book, it is a good work.

So during 1981 when the Holy Myron was made, it was during HH Pope Shenouda house arrest at St. Bishoy Monastery.
    In addition to that HH made it one time to the Syrian Orthodox Church in Syria and another time to the Eritrean Orthodox Church in Eritrea. The total numbers are eight during his Papacy, May the Lord keep him for many years to come
  • Dear Safaa,

Thank you so much for your big encouragement - though it's a really small part and partial too that I started to translate and thanks for the nice info. With the Lord's Grace I will translate more, at least to give a general idea about the subject.

Please pray for me.
    GBU
  • It's a little addition to the previous translation, this time also as PDF so coptic font displays right.
    Some pages take more time than I planned to read and translate, more soon.
    <please go to my last reply - further down>

GBU