Max Michel

edited December 1969 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
Does anyone of you know how much members Max Michel (the man who thinks he´s a pope) has?
How much (we can´t say churches) buildings this organisation has?... How much men who call themselves priests and bishops?
I´ve heard with our bishop one of his "sermons" on an audiocasette... He´s screaming and shouting in this "sermons" (like a possessed man)... He often shouts "Al Kouwa" - "The power"...

I feel so sorry for him and for all who are following him. I feel so sorry for his wife and his kids (he has two girls). We as christians need to pray for him and for all his followers...he needs mental help and spiritual guidance... We need to pray for him that god will open his eyes...

[coptic]Gewrgioc[/coptic]

Comments

• Dear Georgios,

We should, indeed, pray for him.

I am sure that you are familiar with the joint statement from the Pope and the Greek Patriarch at this site: http://www.copticpope.org/downloads/commondec/commondec-2-2006eng.pdf

His heresy will come to nothing, but, like you, I am sorry for the harm he causes and for those close to him; and we are always enjoined to hate the sin and love the sinner. It is so sad.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • what do you mean he "thinks" he is the pope, does he have like a mental problem, or did he just start a new organization with a similiar religion, and has people following him?
  • The Synod has pronounced him a teacher of heresy, so we wouldn't want to be going into what it is he teaches, because the Synod has said it is wrong.

He is, alas, like too many people, someone who cannot accept that he may have things wrong and the Church has got them right.

if you would like to know what the Church has said about him in more detail, do have a look at this site: http://www.coptic.org.au/modules/news/article.php?storyid=317

In Christ,

Anglian
  • Anglian,

I think Max Michel should have never accepted this ordination by bishops of whom he never knew.
  • From what I read on teh Internet
    His main church in el moqattam by the name of St. Athanasius
    serves about 50 families

but thats all i kno
  • That isn't a big Church at all. Maybe one of the reasons why this happened is because he didn't have a solid Sunday School education or was slacking off when he was in the Class for the Khudam.
  • He went to clerical college what do you mean he didn't listen in Sunday school?
  • Oh didn't know, but then that means that he intentionally left the Church. What I heard was that the bishops ordained him because he wanted to be a bishop. So he wanted to be a bishop of a Coptic Orthodox Church until some unknown bishops ordained him. That was how I understood the story of Max Michel.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Max Michel is a self-appointed pope of a heretical 'church'.  He was never ordained by any bishops.  From what I heard, the man is married with children.  As such, the Church law would not allow him to be ordained at all.  I did a quick web search and found this on the Diocese of Sydney and affiliated regions:

The Holy Synod talked over his issue and the church’s view of his ordination as an orthodox bishop taking the name of Mar Maximous Youhanna!!

The presentation is summarized as follows:

+ Max Michel was a student at our Theological Seminary. And after his graduation he served in St. Mina Church, Shobra;

+ A disagreement took place then so he left the church and served in Meet Ghamr where also a disagreement took place and he also left the service there. Afterwards a private service of his own started outside churches, in halls. Disagreement became more intense as regarding his sect and how orthodox-related it was.

+ At the time of President Sadat and during the problem with him beginning of 1981, he considered that God abandoned the church and handed her over to him. It was said then that he ordained two bishops at that time Finally, a year ago, he declared that he was ordained by America and became a bishop taking the name of Maximous Youhanna while he is married.

+ It is well known that there isn’t any married bishop in any Orthodox church in the whole world. Through investigation it was found that he took this ordination by bishops who are separated from some orthodox churches and whom our churches do not acknowledge them.

And so, we cannot accredit his ordination as a bishop nor his new name.
    And as he joined some of those bishops who are separated from our church, and has his own private church now, by that he separated himself from the Coptic church and ended his membership in the church.

Unfortunately, he is also now calling on marrying of bishops and that it is the legitimate status.

He also started to draw some of the priests whom the church had deprived them of their priesthood duties due to specific mistakes.

He published a magazine where he attacks the church and calls for un orthodox thoughts. He established a theological seminary for himself and drew to him Dr. George Habib Bebawy who was also a student in our theological seminary then joined the Anglican church.

He also interfered in personal affairs issues claiming that he solves them by his own ways, which are of course far of the bible’s teaching!

The church warns of this movement and warns of anyone who joined it.

• [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5504.msg77814#msg77814 date=1191332948]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Max Michel is a self-appointed pope of a heretical 'church'.  He was never ordained by any bishops.  From what I heard, the man is married with children. 

Through investigation it was found that he took this ordination by bishops who are separated from some orthodox churches and whom our churches do not acknowledge them.

It states inside your source both theories except I read in St. John of Covina's magazine that Max Michel was ordained by bishops who remained unanimous. The Greek Pope and H.H. were trying to figure out if Orthodox bishops ordained him because if he was ordained, then truly he would be an Orthodox bishop. I guess your source says that the bishops that ordained him are unorthodox.
  • The Greek Pope and H.H. were trying to figure out if Orthodox bishops ordained him because if he was ordained, then truly he would be an Orthodox bishop.

As a matter of principle:

Each bishop or synod has jurisdiction over a certain well defined area or group and that cannot be exceeded and beyond which the ordinations are void and the bishop or synod members become subject to church canons and laws of discipline.

Even among churches in our communion, the Coptic Orthodox bishops cannot decide to ordain bishops in Syria, for example, or in Armenia, which already has orthodox bishops and synods. Even within the same church, such as the Coptic Orthodox Church, the bishop of episcopate X, even if he is the Pope himself, cannot decide to ordain priests or even deacons in another episcopate Y. Only by authorization of the local bishop and for valid reasons, such as health concerns or persecution, it can be tolerated.   

• [quote author=Stavro link=topic=5504.msg77987#msg77987 date=1191648767]

The Greek Pope and H.H. were trying to figure out if Orthodox bishops ordained him because if he was ordained, then truly he would be an Orthodox bishop.

As a matter of principle:

Each bishop or synod has jurisdiction over a certain well defined area or group and that cannot be exceeded and beyond which the ordinations are void and the bishop or synod members become subject to church canons and laws of discipline.

Even among churches in our communion, the Coptic Orthodox bishops cannot decide to ordain bishops in Syria, for example, or in Armenia, which already has orthodox bishops and synods. Even within the same church, such as the Coptic Orthodox Church, the bishop of episcopate X, even if he is the Pope himself, cannot decide to ordain priests or even deacons in another episcopate Y. Only by authorization of the local bishop and for valid reasons, such as health concerns or persecution, it can be tolerated.   

Stavro,
    I said, I read that in the St. John's magazine. I remember seeing it months ago on the Pope's website: CopticPope.org. Also, how about the Pope and the British and French Orthodox Churches? Can he ordain priests and bishops there? Obviously, if he ordained the metropolitan, then he can ordain anyone in the area.
  • Why must Bishops not be married? The disciples were married; many of the Apostles were married. Even St Paul said that Bishops should be with reputable family. What was the evolution of this canon, and is there any chance for it to repudiated? How can we call this Orthodox, when indeed it is not Apostolic?

pp4m

(By the way, I think having Bishops not be married is a really good thing, with a few negative aspects; we have a dedicated Shepherd, but I am not sure whether they can identify well with the family life, but then again we have our spiritual mentors, the priests for that.)
  • Actually, Doubting Thomas, the Bible only mentions that Peter was married by saying that "Simon's wife's mother" but there is no other reference in the Bible of a disciple or apostle having a wife.
  • Bishops have to come from monasteries anyway. You can't have a married monk, therefore, you can't have a married bishop.
  • Eh...aem and Severus:

The fact is that monks were not prominent before St. Anthony, and that we had a Pope that was married (though living as brother-sister). As for many Apostles, all were married except John. (c.f. 1 Corinthians 9:5: Don't we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas?)

So, let's get back to the question; the evolution of this restriction.
  • Dear Thomas,

Clearly there could have been no requirement about bishops being monks before the development of monasticism, so any example from Apostolic times cannot speak to this one. What we do know is that since the fifth century it has been the custom for bishops to be monks and celibates.

In this sense we and the Eastern Orthodox are more faithful to the teachings of the early Church than the RCs, who used to follow the universal custom but which, from the eleventh century began to insist on priestly celibacy - partly to avoid Church lands being alienated to the sons of priests.

It would be interesting to hear more about this.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • i was told that it became tradition to have celibate bishops since the council of Nicaea.. that an Egyptian preist suggested that bishops and priests should be celibats to be more dedicated to their service ..but the council saw that this should be restricted to bishops only because of the expansion of their service but preists should be married because they're more involved in peopl's problems and it's easier to get people to trust a married priest than an unmarried one ....but still i want to check a reliable source for that piece of information.   

In this sense we and the Eastern Orthodox are more faithful to the teachings of the early Church than the RCs, who used to follow the universal custom but which, from the eleventh century began to insist on priestly celibacy - partly to avoid Church lands being alienated to the sons of priests.

intresting ....
  • If bishops were allowed to be married then they would have other things to do like look after their family. If they aren't married (like all bishops) then they have got more time to do church jobs and be fully dedicated to church. Nowadays bishops have to have been monks. Before monasticism bishops were still not married. Only a few bishops were married in our church. One of the popes (I can't remember who) was a priest and because of his saintly status he was chosen to become pope. Obviously after he was ordained the people were disturbed about the fact that he was married. One day in chuch, he tooh his wifes scarf and put the charchoal and insence in it and used it as a shouria. The scarf didn't burn and it became clear to the people that although they were married they were both celibates living like brother and sister. They left each other and each one lived on his own after it was revieled to the people and both were very saintly.
    Back to max michel. It has happened before in our church and soon people will forget about him. I really feel sorry for his children who had no choice in this.
    pray for me
  • Dear Michael,

Quite correct; we should pray for his repentance too.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • A problem with the stand of the Coptic Church against Mad Max is the focus and the concentration on the "married" bishop issue, a stand that is not particularly wise as it defers the attention from Max Michel's many theological errors and his schismatic actions by treason into a discussion about whether a bishop can be married or not.

His heresies should be emphasized, his relations to the government and schismatic groups and their ongoing plans since Saddat to divide the Church should be exposed, and the foundation of the Unity of the Church and the boundaries of the Church should be studied and expounded to provide a basis for the rejection of Mad Max rank and office.
  • Dear Stavro,

You make an excellent point; it is those theological errors which risk the souls of others, and against which the Church is now, I think, warning.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • [quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=5504.msg78581#msg78581 date=1192946486]
    How can we call this Orthodox, when indeed it is not Apostolic?

The apparent dichotomy you present rests upon a superficially narrow understanding of 'Apostolic.' Throughout the Church the term 'Apostolic' has, at its core, been used to define a thing which conveys the 'Apostolic spirit.' Hence, St Athanasius the Great has gone down in the records of the Church as "St Athanasius the Apostolic" for his articulation of the Trinitarian mystery, which, although finding no historical precedence in the writings and teachings of the Apostles, preserved the spirit of their teachings on the nature of Christ and His relationship to the Father.

When you consider the essential role and meaning of the Bishopric you will find that, considered abstractly, married Bishops are not so much of a problem. Nevertheless, the canons of the Church do not address issues abstractly but are concerned with preserving the spirit of Apostolicity in the immediate historical context. The Bishopric is in place for two fundamental reasons: 1) To lead the flock, and 2) in so doing, to preserve them in the true faith. In her wisdom, the Church has seen it proper that monastics are best fit for the Bishopric because they possess the qualities capable of best fulfilling 1) and 2): a) their withdrawal in the first place signifies total commitment to God, which can thus be generally trusted to be exercised in the bishopric as much as it was in the desert, b) their spiritual authority and charisma acquired through their ascetic struggle has made them better candidates as guardians and spokespersons of Orthodoxy. On this latter point, one only need read St Athanasius' Life of St Antony and the Life of Aphou. One of the main principles underlying these works is the principle that the monastic's personal ascetic struggles have a wider purpose for the entire Church viewed as an ascetic community; it endows them with both the ability and responsibility for purging the Church of heresy.

The Church's prohibition against married Bishops is thus founded upon Spirit-inspired wisdom, the presuppositions of which can be traced back as early as the beginning of monasticism itself. It is not intended to absolutise any notion that married persons are incapable of effectively performing the duties of the Bishopric. Certainly, the Apostles were successful in this regard; but how many can claim to be on the level of the Apostles? As always, the Spirit speaks to the Church on practical terms to realise what is in her best interest and the Church obediently follows. Only those, such as Mad Max, who, concerned with the lusts of this world and further incapacitated from understanding the Church's wisdom on account of their evident intellectual deficiencies, would make such ignorant and simplistic arguments as: "well, the Apostles were married, therefore Bishops should be married."