Women in Church

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi. Why can't a woman in CHurch read the Bible nor raise her voice. Why did Saint Paul say that she should not raise her voice (nor speak)??

Why also does it say that a woman becomes unclean after having a period, and that no one should touch her? (in the old testament).

Why also cannot a woman enter the Alter (where the alter is)??

Thanks

Comments

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5766.msg77163#msg77163 date=1190162876]
    Hi. Why can't a woman in CHurch read the Bible nor raise her voice. Why did Saint Paul say that she should not raise her voice (nor speak)??

Why also does it say that a woman becomes unclean after having a period, and that no one should touch her? (in the old testament).

Thanks

this can answer ur questions.....just go through allll the pages
    The Eucharist and Menstruation
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5766.msg77163#msg77163 date=1190162876]

No one, including men, should enter the altar unless they have a reason to be there - i.e. unless they have been ordained to some kind of office that requires them to enter. Since the holy priesthood and deaconate, as well as the lower orders (sub-deacon, psaltis, anagostis), are restricted to men, there is no reason for women to enter the altar at any time.
  • I agree with orthodox11 nobody should enter the alter unless they have been rightly ordained to do so. that includes some men too who have not been ordained are not allowed to enter the alter.
  • Hi. Why can't a woman in CHurch read the Bible nor raise her voice. Why did Saint Paul say that she should not raise her voice (nor speak)??

No one really answered this question.... ?
    The Link above doesn't really touch on it either?
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5766.msg77469#msg77469 date=1190674629]
    No one really answered this question.... ?

Because these are roles to be fulfilled by the clergy (or those of the lower ranks, which were established to assist the clergy in these things). The clergy is restricted to men.
  • Yes, but that's not what St Paul said..
    I believe it was along the lines of women shouldn't speak in the presence of a man.. or something of the sort..
  • According to what I've been told, when St. Paul mentions that a woman should not raise her voice in the church, he is referring to gossiping and needless talking. He is not saying that once a woman enters a church, that's it for her. She is part of the congregation and should partake in the praises and prayers around her, she should not, however, indulge in unnecessary gossiping and talking.

Sleepymusician
  • That is false. Let's actually go to the passage in question:

"As in all the congregations of the saints, 34women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church." (1. Cor. 14)

You can not infer "gossip" or just "needless talking". All manner of talking is forbidden in one brush.
  • I've been told this by my FOC and a number of priests. I trust them implicitly.

Sleepymusician
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=clay link=topic=5766.msg80539#msg80539 date=1198224150]
    That is false. Let's actually go to the passage in question:

"As in all the congregations of the saints, 34women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church." (1. Cor. 14)

You can not infer "gossip" or just "needless talking". All manner of talking is forbidden in one brush.

If one were to take this verse in a vacuum then yes, your reasoning may be correct.  However, as with any and all verses in the Bible, one must not only look at the context within the text itself, but also view the historical context in which it was written.  In light of the historical context, what sleepymusician says is correct.  If we look at our church today, we can see mindless gossip going on constantly, be it from women or men.  In church, this behaviour is unacceptable.  When it comes to the issue of inquiring about something, since the Church has always practiced the separation of women to the right and men on the left, clearly a woman could not inquire in the church, as that would require to leave her area and go towards the men's side.  While there is nothing inherently wrong with that, the purpose of being in church is to focus on God through the liturgical prayers.  Questions can be asked outside after the liturgy.
  • So what manner of speaking is appropriate for a woman in the Church? To discipline her restless child, perhaps.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

That is perfectly plausible.  Or, perhaps she may be singing along with the deacons or saying her own prayer, or requesting the person next to her to stop speaking.  There are many things that require a woman to verbalize which does not involve idle chatter.  And the same goes for the men as well.  One should certainly not discriminate.