My Space, Facebook, Bebo, Hi5 - Social Networking Sites

edited July 2007 in Youth Corner
I've read all the topics in these forums that mention myspace. And there is not much discussion about it, although I see it as a massive problem among youth these days.

Latest statistics show that 40% of youth aged 12-14 have a social networking account! 64% of youth aged 15-17 have a social networking account. And 70% of girls 15-17 have social networking accounts.
These statistics are from http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/198/report_display.asp

I've had a lot of thought about this, and there are 2 options to this problem.
1. Say its wrong and prevent youth from joining up - this is extremely hard since on the face of it the sites are harmless but the content is.
2. Tell them what are the bad stuff so they avoid them - this doesn't solve the problem because youth are not that strong to be able to resist such temptations that they might encounter.

So the conclusion that I have reached is...
Why doesn't the Coptic Orthodox Church start up a website that promotes social networking in a proper manner.
What this would do is:
Solve the problem by prevent youth from joining myspace and others... but at the same time still benefiting from this new tool. In fact you can also customize it so that you can have youth groups and members join youth groups and can organise events eg. church camps, church outings and you can have church groups etc. So its a spiritual environment.
There is already a company out there that is doing something similar at this website http://youthglue.com/

We have massive forums tasbeha.org, and coptichymns.net and we have our own email system copticmail.com... so y not have our own social networking site?
So what are people's ideas, feedback and suggestions about this?

Comments

• This is a great idea, if somebody knows how to create such a network it would benefit many
  • why are they harmful?
  • [quote author=billious link=topic=5518.msg73728#msg73728 date=1183485520]
    Why doesn't the Coptic Orthodox Church start up a website that promotes social networking in a proper manner.

i have to say...this is a great pure idea.
    but, first the Coptic church is living not across websites, forums, or anything else but Christ and His pride, the Church. including the Coptic Church in general is just not right in this matter.

We have massive forums tasbeha.org, and coptichymns.net and we have our own email system copticmail.com... so y not have our own social networking site?
    So what are people's ideas, feedback and suggestions about this?

now u've said it.....there is all of these christian forums and email-pased groups, in english and arabic. than what else would u need......
    the probelm is that when you include social networking, u concentrate more on the social part. so basiclly that network wont be about church, but people socially.

also even if u do, and do start it up, it would only be a matter of time till it becomes like MySpace....becasue no one is secured today online. facebook is allready becoming like MySpace even thoo it was created to be diffrent.
  • i seee nothing wrong with it besides the fact that its a waste of time.......thats it
    its quite controlllable........u can delete or add wat u like.........

i think if the site is utilised correctly and adequately then its fine....at work most of the youth i work with use bebo and majority have no fones....so i communcate with them thru bebo...........

• i thinkn there is nothihing wrong with these things besides the bad things they have... like pictures that are digusting and people trying to ruin other pples lives. and most of al, the way you use it. it brings you away from God most of the time
  • Anything can become "bad" it just depends how it is used, i feel that there's nothing wrong with myspace other than the waste of time part.
    I think if you were to create that website you were talking about, it would be more like this website
  • I don't know if it is a good idea or not (you are talking about something like msn for copts right?)

But it seems that for people who are called to serve others and have deep relationships with believers.. it is not a waste of time.. brothers and sisters in Christ can get to know each other online and shy people might learn to trust others... also shy people who do not have anything to say when they meet people .. they can talk to their friends whom they see face to face online and when they meet each other next time they have something to talk about.. . as long as the purpose is not to waste time and have fun telling jokes that do not benefit those who hear.. there should be a moderator who kicks out others who continue to speak idle words after warning.. the talk should be mostly spiritual and prayer should not be ignored.. because prayer helps us in our relationship with others and with God.. I do not think all jokes are bad but we should not follow the worlds jokes..

it is not a good idea for dating maybe.. it should be a group chat and group meetings face to face..

I don't know why most of us do not join a chat forum on msn to meet each other at least from time to time.. I know I hardly ever go on msn but if I know I will benefit I will go hopefully..

forums like tasbeha.org , coptichymns.net and mycopticchurch.com are good because the posts stay for longer and the same topic can be talked about again without having to say everything from the beginning.. for chat groups you have to stay in the chat room until different people come in to ask them which may take really long and waste time... but for forums people can answer when they have the time and people will find posts that are similar to their problems even when the person who posted is not there..

and we can welcome non believer searchers... as long as they are not there to confuse us..

OKAY I SEARCHED UP MYSPACE AND FOUND IT WAS SOMETHING DIFFERENT.. SORRY .. I STILL think it might be a good idea for organising events eg. church camps, church outings and to have church groups ... though I may not go to such things because I am shy and mute sometimes.. still I think the chat forum might be good too atleast for holidays and when someone is in deep need and wants to talk to someone quickly.. as long as the person does not confuse a person on msn and that person is lost alone..

• [quote author=minagir link=topic=5518.msg73786#msg73786 date=1183559157]
    [quote author=billious link=topic=5518.msg73728#msg73728 date=1183485520]

but, first the Coptic church is living not across websites, forums, or anything else...

**AHEM**AHEM**TASBEHA.ORG**AHEM**
  • [quote author=tenoosht link=topic=5518.msg73847#msg73847 date=1183680849]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=5518.msg73786#msg73786 date=1183559157]
    [quote author=billious link=topic=5518.msg73728#msg73728 date=1183485520]

but, first the Coptic church is living not across websites, forums, or anything else...

**AHEM**AHEM**TASBEHA.ORG**AHEM**

hmmmmmmmmm....
    Tasbeha.org is a site and a fully free service that shows our acts as copts. it doesn't represent the church fully.

the church doesn't live through the site but what we do through it to present our church.
  • I am the original poster
    Thanks for your feedback...
    I will go back to stating why I thought of this idea..
    Is MySpace wrong?
    Majority say "It's not wrong its just how you use it"
    And since any social networking site eg. facebook... has a chance of turning into MySpace, then why join these public social sites in the hope that you wont be tempted by it. So a solution would be to create a social networking site.
    Now I agree with minagir to an extent when he said

including the Coptic Church in general is just not right in this matter

because it is a

social networking site

But not everything at church is spiritual. There are some social activities. But as long as they are inline with the teachings of Christ.
    Now I'm not suggesting that this be a purely social site. I think we can and must utilize this site as a service for the church like what mikeforjesus said:

organising events eg. church camps, church outings and to have church groups

In my opinion we should use it for youth meetings. The majority of internet users are youth.
    This idea came to be from facebook. At the moment we have a Coptic Society group for our university. And we can create an event and invite the members of our society to it. Then they have to RSVP if they are coming or not. After the event is complete you can add pictures of that event. So it definitely is not purely an alternative to MySpace... its a Coptic Christian version, adjusted to meet our needs.
    Finally, about it becoming corrupted and turning into MySpace... if it is monitored well then I think it won't get corrupted.
    I'll give an example. If each servant of a youth meeting creates a group and invites his youth to join, then that servant will be a monitor and an admin for his own youth. That's besides the monitors that you have monitoring all profiles. I don't think it's that hard, because if it is then tasbeha.org would have gone corrupt as well.
    Lastly, once this website is in place then the 55% of youth that are in MySpace, Bebo, Facebook etc. will tend to use the coptic social site rather than the other ones.. and hopefully even delete the other accounts with other sites all together.
  • ^ wat he said

I'd have liked to add more to this post, but ill wait for the discussion to continue to see other views and thoughts
  • I don't see the point.
    Some people use these sites in the right way.. these are the people that willl most likely use a Christian social network... others will probably consider it boring because they use if for purposes that this network won't provide....
    My point is... what's the point?
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5518.msg73949#msg73949 date=1183955037]
    Some people use these sites in the right way..

Thats fine... but are they affected by the other people that use it in the wrong way?
    The youth most probably out of peer pressure.
    So in other words the people that do use these sites the right way shudnt use it at all... but that unfair since its not the tool thats wrong, its the way it's used.
  • using it in the right way means only communicating with people you know and trust.. how would they get influenced..?
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5518.msg73963#msg73963 date=1183978811]
    using it in the right way means only communicating with people you know and trust.. how would they get influenced..?

and also, the site miight have inappropiate things, so thats another way it may be wrong

but i think if you ignore all these things, it won't be wrong to use........
  • [quote author=billious link=topic=5518.msg73962#msg73962 date=1183974675]
    [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5518.msg73949#msg73949 date=1183955037]

Thats fine... but are they affected by the other people that use it in the wrong way?
    So in other words the people that do use these sites the right way shudnt use it at all... but that unfair since its not the tool thats wrong, its the way it's used.

u can never know who's good and bad. especially on online life.
  • Hey, if such a thing is organized... then it should be for the whole 5 oriental churches.  ;)
    It would help us get to know each other well.

In fact, there should be a dialoge even with the Eastern Orthodox Churches through the site.  I read somewhere in this forum that there is currently a dialoge between these churches  and there is even a website for it I think. I don't know, I hope someday we can solve our differences and be part of one Church. Not with Catholics though... I really do not like most of the history of the catholic church. And definately not with protestants, because that would just be a waist of time.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5518.msg73978#msg73978 date=1183997570]
    [quote author=billious link=topic=5518.msg73962#msg73962 date=1183974675]
    [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5518.msg73949#msg73949 date=1183955037]

u can never know who's good and bad. especially on online life.

hmm.. ii don't think you understand what these sites are meant for..  the aim is not to make new online friends, but to communicate with your existing friends in a fun and interactive way...
    This being said, I know that the majority of people use them in order to make new friends online.. and this is not always safe. these are the people, whom, i believe, will not join a Christian social network as it does not contain the diversity and excitement that exists on others.
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5518.msg74094#msg74094 date=1184161748]
    hmm.. ii don't think you understand what these sites are meant for..  the aim is not to make new online friends, but to communicate with your existing friends in a fun and interactive way...
    This being said, I know that the majority of people use them in order to make new friends online.. and this is not always safe. these are the people, whom, i believe, will not join a Christian social network as it does not contain the diversity and excitement that exists on others.

i disagree....who says that christian forums or social network sites wont be diverse and exciting.........it depends entirely on wat u hope to get out of it.......
    i think use existing sites and utilise it wisely......
  • i didn't read all the reply, but i think thier is nothing wrong with facebook for example. u can use it by a good way. in facebook there is groups for the saints and even i know a priest have a page. i know he is not doing it to socialize with other people but at lest if it is bad and aganist the church he wouldn't do it. right?
  • organising events eg. church camps, church outings and to have church groups

I think that is the problem, the reason kids are getting involved with MySpace and other sites like it, is because the kids are finding a lot of free time, to go on such sites. If they were caught up in such events as in the above quote, they wouldn't have time to go on these sites. Kids are so involved and caught up in MySpace and other sites like it, that at High School Conventions, they sometimes skip Agpeya to check their MySpace.

I think if there were more events that kids liked to go to they wouldn't have time to do this at all.

God Bless All and Please Pray for, I the weak one.
  • [quote author=abosefien link=topic=5518.msg74934#msg74934 date=1185811791]

organising events eg. church camps, church outings and to have church groups

I think that is the problem, the reason kids are getting involved with MySpace and other sites like it, is because the kids are finding a lot of free time, to go on such sites. If they were caught up in such events as in the above quote, they wouldn't have time to go on these sites. Kids are so involved and caught up in MySpace and other sites like it, that at High School Conventions, they sometimes skip Agpeya to check their MySpace.

I think if there were more events that kids liked to go to they wouldn't have time to do this at all.

well yes. free time, the bored time is always what brings us to sin. especially in the summer where there is just nothing to do. so this goes back to the events that the servants set up for those youth or kids to fill their time with good things to do.
  • i'll tell the truth i have a my space , and it does influence bad things in so many ways thats why i say its a great idea that we have a coptic orthodox site for kids.
  • If this coptic social networking site can save just a handful of youth then i think thats a valid enough point, right?
    Now I do agree with all that billious is saying: now if anyone of you here has a MySpace or a bebo account you've seen the types of provocative (don't know if spelling is correct) images that some youth post of whether it be themselve or others.. its terrible.. soo therefore if these sites were monitored by their servants i highly doubt that anyone will be putting up such images whether it be of themselves or someone else.
    And I know that people choose what they post on their page, but keep in mind who uses these sites. These sites are mainly used by youth aged 12-17. Most youth in that age group don't really put God as their main priority. The only thing on their minds are their friends and the opposite gender, therefore if they have a picture that they can see is a little provocative and post it and get some hits from guys or girls telling them how good they look, they're not going to stop just because its wrong. NO they like the attention. Therefore the idea of a monitored coptic social networking site is a great idea.
  • yea, there is TASBEHA.ORG -- but if your talking about having your page, with friends, and having religious things in it. START IT...it might also, make people forget about myspace etc.
  • How about instead of making a whole site for social network, the admins here could make a category for Social Network on Tasbeha Forums. And if they (the admins) don't like any of the posts they can delete the category, its just an IDEA.

Pray for me, I the weak one.
  • [quote author=abosefien link=topic=5518.msg74990#msg74990 date=1185935045]
    How about instead of making a whole site for social network, the admins here could make a category for Social Network on Tasbeha Forums. And if they (the admins) don't like any of the posts they can delete the category, its just an IDEA.

A Social Network means a whole new site. can't be on a forum.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5518.msg75001#msg75001 date=1185937323]
    A Social Network means a whole new site. can't be on a forum.

I just thought it would be a start, until it gets bigger, then we could make a whole new site.
  • well, if you actually make it, starting small wouldnt help much, if you wanna do a social network, you should make it as it is. not start small and work your way up
  • [quote author=He Wept link=topic=5518.msg75010#msg75010 date=1185945813]
    well, if you actually make it, starting small wouldnt help much, if you wanna do a social network, you should make it as it is. not start small and work your way up

OH I GET IT NOW THANKS
    PRAY FOR ME I THE WEAK ONE