Marriage within our Church

13»

Comments

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=4444.msg72720#msg72720 date=1182183979]
    We love God by keeping His commandments.

i can keep His commandments but not love Him. i can do what He said to do but not love it or Him.

I can't tell my wife I love her and then go and sleep with anotehr woman!? Can I?? If I loved her, I'd keep holy in my life what was sacred to her.

well of course u can. love is shown and felt not said. telling her wouldn't make much diffrence....but making her feel that i do make every diffrence.

Keeping the Lord's commandments IS when you start to love Him. He even said that... look
    "For me to abide you, and you in me, keep my Commandments".

so i can't keep His commandments becasue i was forced to. the verse is great...but that's one verse of the bible that filss part of the whole picture.

We express our love THROUGH keeping His commandments. That's it.

i disagree. that's not a full statemnt that can refere to our faith in Christ. again as i said above, it's only one part of the big picture.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

No, it is not impossible.  People will do things for two reasons.  Either they will obey out of love or out of fear.  Now, it is possible to follow Christ's commandments without love, it would be done out of fear.  Fear of what?  Well, fear of eternal damnation perhaps.  Look at children with their parents.  They will listen to their parents because either they love them, or they are afraid of them.  Say a father beats his child often.  That child will only know fear and thus, will do whatever his father says out of fear.  Now, this is not the relationship God wants to have with His children (i.e. one of fear).  No matter how you try to word it, everything we do boils down to our emotions.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=4444.msg72727#msg72727 date=1182184618]
    Impossible!! Even Christ said that... He said "... people will do miracles in My Name, and I say unto them, I do not know you, you lawless".

The word Our Lord uses here is "LAWLESS" - Lawless = someone who has NO respect for commandments nor for God's statutes.

actually the verse just proved what i said to be right.
  • i have a question...........IF, working on probability here.....IF i fell in love with a christian guy but from a different denomination and decide to marry in his church, not all churches ask u to convert........wud i still be 'allowed' to continue services and participate in the other holy sacramenst in the orthodox church???
  • There are some things that we won't like to hear but are for our benefit. Just as much as I wish we would be able to marry whomever we "click with", it is obvious that such a marriage would have lots of problems. Firstly, do you think he would allow you to continue services in another Church. Do you think that he would allow it that you guys go to seperate Churches. Think about what will happen when you have kids- which Church would you raise them in. There is so many issues other than whether you will be anathematized, that the threat of the excommunication is like an act of mercy!
    I have never felt such strong attraction to anyone... that "falling in love" thing perpetuated in the media or whatever, so I can't say this is easy, I am just saying there is more than marrying the person you most go along, because ultimately, during marriage, you won't.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=4444.msg72882#msg72882 date=1182329670]
    [quote author=kerestina link=topic=4444.msg72876#msg72876 date=1182325533]
    i have a question...........IF, working on probability here.....IF i fell in love with a christian guy but from a different denomination and decide to marry in his church, not all churches ask u to convert........wud i still be 'allowed' to continue services and participate in the other holy sacramenst in the orthodox church???

You'd be excommunicated Kerestina from the Coptic Church.

kerestina, by doing that you break 1 of the sacraments, why should u care about the others?!!

So it's as what QT_PA_2T said.....actually it's more like you excommunicating yourself by yourself.

• why wud i be excommunicated if im still a practicing christian??? damn my husband!!! ill raise my kids how i want to and ill go to wateva church i plz lol

btw....just to ease ur innocent mind i have no intention of marrying a non-coptic its far too complicated as doubting thomas explained
  • lol i was totally joking about the kids thing......id neva want to disrupt their lives or make them feel divided................

perhaps i shouldve made it a third person scenario lol

in regards to ur scenario? people will always think there is enough coptic men n women in each nation.....not much thought goes into it tho

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=4444.msg72890#msg72890 date=1182338736]
    OK, she'd be excommunicated, but I think it doesnt mean she'd be far from God if she still goes to another Church??

[quote author=kerestina link=topic=4444.msg72893#msg72893 date=1182339579]
    why wud i be excommunicated if im still a practicing christian??? damn my husband!!! ill raise my kids how i want to and ill go to wateva church i plz lol

yes...she'd/u'd have the choise to do anything she wants. but as we got to, she'll be out of our church.
    the thing is that there are many churchs here as u see Kerestina.

WHat i fail to understand is this:
    How is it a Coptic priest can give you the absolution to have communion in a catholic church on the grounds that there are NO coptic churches where you live, and yet at the same time excommunicate u for marrying someone catholic in the Catholic Church. DId it occur to him that there are no Coptic girls either where u live??? I mean, we're not THAT numerous! Are we???

communion is a holy thing. we try to as much as possible not to lose it.
    marriage on the other hand is a long term relationship that is dafinitly changing you.
    also don't tell me there isn't any...none of what so ever....spouse taht are copts. if not, and u really found somone that u love and that love u, they should convert. if not, than u need to choose ur spouse or ur God...talking as knowing that we as Orthodox have the right full faith which was proved before in many posts.

btw....just to ease ur innocent mind i have no intention of marrying a non-coptic its far too complicated as doubting thomas explained

lol....great to hear.

[quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=4444.msg72894#msg72894 date=1182339850]
    So, for example, this lady married a coptic man, he divorced her, she remained coptic with her kids. She was allowed to ahve communion. Then, she married an English man outside the coptic church. She wasnt allowed to have communion again. She just used to come and stand in Church without having communion.

example of someone who left communion for some person.....with all do respect to their reason for that....what ever they are.

[quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=4444.msg72905#msg72905 date=1182343772]
    If a priest allows you to have communion in a catholic church ONLY on the condition that there are NO coptic churches where u live, then why not allow u to marry a catholic girl based on the fact that there are NO coptic girls where u live???

in my opinion, even thoo i wouldn't belive that their communion wouldn't be fully true, priest would try to make people not fully lost. for example if there is no coptic church in the area, what's better go to another church with an apsolution to do so, or not to go at all and than sin and do other things that will make u forget ur faith?!!!!
    also in my opinion, i don't thing that is right to do becasue about sure at some point u'll just forget our church and be part of the other.

OR, and this is real people as i met a person as so,
    be a Coptic Catholic which is a person who was from the coptic church but than that group of people in the church, sparated themselfs from us and becasem part of the Catholic church. and now, wrongly as they know it, they go to both churchs to pray.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=4444.msg73361#msg73361 date=1182871591]
    Mina,
    U don't believe that the Catholic communion is "fully true" ??!! WHy not? Our Sunday School teacher said it was the real Body and Blood of Christ. We just can't communion because we have to be faithful to our Church. Period.

u trully answered your question. we're just not in communion with them in the faith. Period.

The Orthodox Church does not recognize the Sacraments of the Catholic Church as valid (based on what I have been told).  The reason is that we are in schism with one another and as such, we do not share the same faith (entirely).  There are doctrines in the Catholic Church that the Orthodox Church does not recognize and since we are not in communion with one another, the Orthodox Church does not recognized the validity of the sacraments of the Catholic Church.  Whether God views them as valid or not is another issue altogether, and one we will never know the answer to.  What we do know is that our sacraments are valid.

They believe that what they are partaking of is the Body and Blood of Christ.  However, to the Orthodox Church, that is not the case. I do not believe that the Church recognizes the validity of their Eucharist.

Just so we're clear, your Sunday School teacher told you that the Church recognizes the validity of the Catholic Eucharist?

I don't know then.  He is probably far more knowledgeable than I.  As far as I know, this is not the case.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=4444.msg73423#msg73423 date=1182943565]
    a) A guy will tell a girl he's open minded to try and go far with her sexually, when she let's him, the egyptian man would never consider marrying her. He'll say :"Ouff! Never, if she let me do that to her, then she'll do that with other men".

THat is actualy true...
    HOwever, a guy sometimes would promise the girl with marriage and all of that stuff to get what he wants... and when she is not hesitating... he'd be like "well.... we are goning to get married any-ways" and after el fas youa3 fe el ras (after what happens happens) he won't marry her! So in this case it is the guy's fault!

[quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=4444.msg73423#msg73423 date=1182943565]
    Heck! I even know a story of an Egyptian man that married an Egyptian woman because after he tried to "Get fresh" with her, she slapped him. He was so impressed, that he married her. You see how they think??!!

Hahahaha.... OH yeah!
    Bas fe el se3ead... If a guy tried to "GET FRESH" with a girl/woman, he'd be shot in his head!

[quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=4444.msg73423#msg73423 date=1182943565]

Its hard to distinguish whether a girl is a virgin in Egypt because the culture/traditions of that country permit it, OR whether she has made a committment to God for purity. A girl in Egypt will talk the talk, and know what to say; but this makes it harder for egyptian men to get to know them. She's just said the same speach as the girl next to her. What kind of girl would she be like if she lived in Europe?

mosh kolo keda...! Last time i went to egypt... I saw what I thought i would never see.... Egypt now is adopting the american style.  Girls 3alla el bahr are a mess.... some are well mannared.... and some would beat the bananas out of you by just leam 3aleak all the people on the street...

Concerning shabka... againe.... Not all girls want to be dressed from head to toe with gold and diamonds!
    To me the valuable of el shabka is not how much he pays for it, but it is how much it means to me!

Vas,
    sometimes i think you are very wise and well experienced, and sometimes i think somebody took over you account and start writing stuff out of the blue!

bentBABAyasooa`
  • DOn't believe everything you hear in the media.

Also, when was the last time have you been to egypt????
    3ala fekra y3ani....
    Girls in egypt today, even thoug some MAYBE well knowledge about sex, it would be a fedeha (Scandel) for a girl to lose her virginity.  Her family may kill her for disgrasing the family's honor and flushing it down the magary.  Christian grils... would never do such a thing.
    Except if they were kidnaped etc...

Mira,

Sometimes i think the same thing about u too ya mama.

hahahahahahaa.....
    I have an evil twin, who is taking over my life!

by the way... ana mosh oum haad ( I am not anyone's mom)

bentBABAyasooa`
  • I think there is truth to that.
  • Life may be unfair.... but never that complicated, to add type I and II, and who knows there may be type III IV V ...........

There are people who are perfect match... in everything even spiritualy.

I don't care how many types you come up with... but these types don't go in Egypt.  Guys may be are not as pure as girls are in Egypt.  But Girls are pure....there are some who go to beat el da3ara... but Girls who live and remain and marry in egypt... are 120% pure and are virgins.  Because of the Culture and Tradition in Egypt, that not you nor me nor anyone else can change.  I belive this is the true tradition and culture because it goes with what the bible says, and if you use your common sense... you will find it that it makes sense!
    Having your husband/wife to be the first in your life or Sleeping around and have 3/5 kids before you get married??? That is what i don't understand about the american Culture.... How do couples move in together, have kids, and then think about getting married??????  ???

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=4444.msg73476#msg73476 date=1183037279]
    I equally fail to understand that how girls and guys that are raised in that so called "culture" u talk about that's soo "biblical" end up living and making others live a prodigous life when they leave egypt and come to the west?!!

1st of all... I was talking about Guys and Girls who are living in EGYPT! I Said......

Guys may be are not as pure as girls are in Egypt.  But Girls are pure....there are some who go to beat el da3ara... but Girls who live and remain and marry in egypt... are 120% pure and are virgins.

However, when they move to the west... NOt all of them become soo French nor Americanized.. I know people who are keda.... and I know people who are keda.....

[quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=4444.msg73476#msg73476 date=1183037279]
    How? You'd think they'd come to the west with some of the good things they picked up from Egypt!? no?

It realy depends on the parents and know carefull they'd be when their kids grow up.  Some parents would leave their kids and give 'em their freedom, and some who comments about everything no matter how small. Some people who move to the west... in their youth hood.... it would depends on their morals and how much they'd stick to their original culture and tradition.

[quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=topic=4444.msg73475#msg73475 date=1183037072]
    I don't care how many types you come up with... but these types don't go in Egypt.  Guys may be are not as pure as girls are in Egypt.  But Girls are pure....there are some who go to beat el da3ara... but Girls who live and remain and marry in egypt... are 120% pure and are virgins. 

That is a rather blatant double standard if ever I saw one.  You can't possibly believe this is true.

You know, on the outside, Egypt does look like a conservative country because of the culture and Islam.  However, the words Christ used when talking about the Pharisees is appropriate here as well: 'For you are like whitewashed tombs, which on the outside look beautiful, but inside they are full of the bones of the dead and of all kinds of filth.' (Matthew 23:27).  Everything happens behind closed doors and under the table in Egypt.  What happens in Europe and America does happen in Egypt.  It is not visual, but just because you do not see it, does not mean it does not happen.  What makes it worse in Egypt is the hypocrisy that arises because of it.  They attempt to pass themselves off as religious and conservative, when the reality is, they are as bad (if not worse) than the Europeans and Americans.
  • Fe haga that you prob don't know/ never heard of and that is called " akhlaa we mabadaa"
    There are some people who still live with their akhlaa we mabadaa in society in Egy today.

If girls are losing their virginity when they move to the west.... I believe in that, then they lost their mabadaa, and applying whatever the country's culture is.

That is a rather blatant double standard if ever I saw one.  You can't possibly believe this is true.

Why not, Κηφᾶς ??

Knfoc,

I heard the exact opposite. So, i don't believe its true either. I think the culture in Egypt is one of restriction; and the culture and islam IMPOSES itself on people so they are restricted. When they come to canada, and in "Free" socieities, their TRUE colors start to show!!

"You heard" you actualy didn't live it.... nor saw anyone live it.  Mosh kolo once they go to this "FREE" society show the colors they have.... many people don't have colors to show.

I hate this term "FRENCH" or "AMERICANISED" . it means u do not respect the american culture that u happen to live in. America is NOT such a bad place. There are VERY good descent people there also.

Don't interpurt things in a way that i didn't say.

And to prove your point , look at the statistics:

where can this info be found? Please do cite it, if there is a citation for it!

I know PERFECT PERFECT examples of when people immigrate from Egypt to U.S, Canada, etc... and are still living with their Morals and true culture.

I live in u.s., I still follow my culture and I find it the most respectfull one there is... I saw the American culture... and it is the way it is because of the FREEDOM, people don't know how to use FREEDOM wisely.  I still live with the EGYPTIAN CULTURE even i have grew up here, and I am an american.
  • Holy Crap!

You all are like a big dysfunctional family.  But still a good family huh?

Taylor
  • I don't think he meant to be derogatory. I think he was just overwhelmed at our comments on this thread- that's all. I know Taylor respects us more than that to be explicitly obnoxious and defamatory.

[quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=topic=4444.msg73524#msg73524 date=1183085396]
    Fe haga that you prob don't know/ never heard of and that is called " akhlaa we mabadaa"
    There are some people who still live with their akhlaa we mabadaa in society in Egy today.

If girls are losing their virginity when they move to the west.... I believe in that, then they lost their mabadaa, and applying whatever the country's culture is.

Why not, Κηφᾶς ??

I, also, am very familiar with the terms 'akhla2' and 'mabadi2'. While there are some girls in Egypt that possess them, there are also boys in Egypt that possess these qualities as well.  I have always hated double standards, regardless of whether they are applied to boys or girls.  To claim that girls in Egypt are 120% pure and virgin is ridiculous.  It would be equally ridiculous for me to make the statement that boys in Egypt are 120% pure and virgin.  Both sexes have examples of individuals who do practice their faith in truth and honesty (and thus are pure and virgin), and there are also examples of individuals who put on an act.  THAT is a reality.  Regardless of whether they are in Egypt or immigrate to some other country, you will find bad apples (whether they be Christian or Muslim, there is no differentiation here).  The fact that there are some Egyptians who have adapted certain aspects of the society they live in is not a crime.  God knows there are certain things found in Egyptian culture and society that are completely irrational, illogical, and serve no purpose except to annoy the crap out of you.  Likewise, you will find the same thing in Western culture and society.  The smart person takes the good from both societies and melds them together.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=4444.msg73533#msg73533 date=1183106150]

Hi Mira,

I think you're a nice girl, but don't you think that's a very rude thing to say someone? There's something i've never heard of called akhlaa2 and mabadi2?! 

Qt_Pa_2t,
    Akhlaa we mabadaa is 3nd el ppl who still live up to what they were taught, and they are still living up to it today.

Also, If i was prefered to be called by my old name, I'd put it as my name.  If i'd be prefered to be called Hasan, i'd have that there as well!

All of your sources only come from BBC! 

That is my opnion, I still think el donya lessa feha khere mosh kolo behegry wara masalho we their worldly desires.  Againe, mosh kolo who move from Egypt lose their virginity. and girls do keep their virginity 'till marriage, outside or inside egypt!
    ;)
    You say everyone does that, and i say mosh kolo...! That is the end of that!

I, also, am very familiar with the terms 'akhla2' and 'mabadi2'. While there are some girls in Egypt that possess them, there are also boys in Egypt that possess these qualities as well.  I have always hated double standards, regardless of whether they are applied to boys or girls.  To claim that girls in Egypt are 120% pure and virgin is ridiculous.  It would be equally ridiculous for me to make the statement that boys in Egypt are 120% pure and virgin.  Both sexes have examples of individuals who do practice their faith in truth and honesty (and thus are pure and virgin), and there are also examples of individuals who put on an act.  THAT is a reality.  Regardless of whether they are in Egypt or immigrate to some other country, you will find bad apples (whether they be Christian or Muslim, there is no differentiation here).  The fact that there are some Egyptians who have adapted certain aspects of the society they live in is not a crime.  God knows there are certain things found in Egyptian culture and society that are completely irrational, illogical, and serve no purpose except to annoy the crap out of you.  Likewise, you will find the same thing in Western culture and society.  The smart person takes the good from both societies and melds them together.

so basicaly.... mosh kolo falls in the category of "Youth when they move, they lose their virginity right away!"

i was trying to make a point with el Akhla we el mabadaa!
    Κηφᾶς, nothing personal! I respect you very much! and I also, think you are a good person!