rape

floflo
edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Just wondering if anyone could tell me what the church's views are on rape?

Comments

• I don’t really understand what you mean. Views on whether its good or bad? I can assure you… BAD. I don’t think that’s what you’re asking though… what do you mean the views?
  • Can't tell you what the Coptic position is, but Christianity in general forbids it. The crime is almost spiritual in nature, because the intent of the harm goes beyond the mere physical.
  • i don't mean the actual act of rape but how the church responds to it. cos whenever we asked about it, we would never get a straight answer
  • responds to who, the victim or rapist? I think we don't understand your question, can you be more specific?
  • sorry guys am new at msg boards, i expected everyone to know wot i mean without telling you.
    i mean how does the church respond to the victim. cos not a virgin, would they be ostracized? etc.
  • [quote author=flo link=board=1;threadid=431;start=0#msg6249 date=1089236625]
    i mean how does the church respond to the victim. cos not a virgin, would they be ostracized? etc.

Ostracize!!!! No I don't think so. I mean why the church would take this extreme course of action. I would think that the church would do its utmost to comfort and support the victim through whichever way that seems fit.

Fady
  • Victims of rape did not voluntarily lose their virginity, they are still pure. They were forced to have sex, so they are not ostracized. They should be esteemed for trying to save their virginity.
  • well, for the vicitims the church has pity on them. but as egyptians think and gossip, "de moseba" u guys know how egyptians think and talk.

as for the rapist, they could be ostracized, not sure though.
  • on the contrary, egyptians at church WOULD NOT think and gossip cuz this is a victim here.. they would cover the victim.. in arabic its called "dary sham3et" the victim instead of making it hot news on the street or in the coptic community...

when it comes to these things ... reputations get jeopordized, and its a very sensitive situation...

GBU
  • thats not wat happened to a girl i know who got raped. and im only talking about how pple talked about her and such, nothing else.
  • that's really too bad
  • If a person is raped from the coptic church how does the church deal with this person.............i mean where all egyptian right and i knw for a fact tht people in the church well disrespect this person........... wht u think ?
  • the person who got raped?!

why in the world would we disrespect the victim?

its sad to say, but that person wouldnt show up at church because she would know that the people in the church would know.
    they'd end up going back to church when all settled down.

-Chris
  • Rape is a horrible act. Consequently, it is considred a sin. It is against God, against the victim and against the whole community.
    As for God, He does not like the selfish, the fool, the unjust and unmerciful (rapists). His sons and his church on earth everywhere follow His commandments and react mercifully towards the victims. They try to comfort and direct the victims to come back and look for God's gentleness, compasion, and mercy.
    As for rapists, they are treated as if ther were misled lambs who need a good sheperd. If they are ready to repent, they can confess before God and they will be forgiven. It also depends on the spiritual level of the rapist. For example, if he is a thief, a sinner who has no intention to repent, he will be punished if not by the church, it will be by law. (Rape is Rape)
    As for the victim, he must trust in God's mercy; God knows that this horrible action has happened to him against his will. He must believe that the purity is the purity of the heart before it is the purity of the body.
    Barsoom
    Egypt
  • [quote author=Banoub link=board=1;threadid=431;start=0#msg6371 date=1089292906]
    the person who got raped?!

why in the world would we disrespect the victim?

its sad to say, but that person wouldnt show up at church because she would know that the people in the church would know.
    they'd end up going back to church when all settled down.

-Chris

Personally I agree with the opinion that church people will talk and gossip. Thats exactly what I expect people I know to do, and are extremely likely (to the point of absolute certainty) to gossip. Unfortunately there are people who delight in other peoples misery and unhappiness....its true. Unfortunately also that one can not do anything about that i.e. their self centered, selfish and malicious nature/ personality. I believe, however, that the church will take care of the victim. As for the perpetrator.....even though the person repents and regret...... there MUST be a serious punishment in this life. Thats the law and justice

Fady
  • Faultlessly said.
  • Personally I agree with the opinion that church people will talk and gossip. Thats exactly what I expect people I know to do, and are extremely likely (to the point of absolute certainty) to gossip. Unfortunately there are people who delight in other peoples misery and unhappiness....its true. Unfortunately also that one can not do anything about that i.e. their self centered, selfish and malicious nature/ personality.
    Fady

i agree with you on that , and i think it must be so much harder for the person cos of that. cos unfortuantly there r ppl out there who say stuff like this person musta have done something to encourage it. not just in our church but anywhere.
    what do other think about the way ppl react?
  • i'm sure it happens.. but i think most people are guilty of gossipping, but no one likes to admit it.
  • Sorry guys, I know this is going off on a tangent, but I remember talking about this with my FOC, and he said something about how if someone is going to rape you, regardless of where, when, who, etc that you need to scream out. That screaming out is proof that you are a victim and that you're not just giving in to your attacker. I think that if this is put into play that egyptians won't find anything to talk about because you did all you could, but I do agree with you guys on that point of gossiping people.

sleepy
  • Apparently we are good at gossiping about people with blame and blameless...

Mike
  • Yea, I have to admit, I have gossiped before, but, thank God, I 've gotten better at it now, and I don't care what anyone says anymore...to a certain point...lol.

sleepy
  • well good for u, I hope the same here....I remember once seeing the Archdeakon in our Church with his pants ripped from the belt to under and I saw it when he went and bowed down, howvere I was young and I couldn't stop laughing and I gossiped the whole day, the next day the whole Church was...ehem....informed... :'(

I can't believe he wore something to Church like that though...HAHA! ;D

Sorry.... :(

Mike
  • [quote author=sleepymusician link=board=1;threadid=431;start=15#msg6434 date=1089343438]
    Sorry guys, I know this is going off on a tangent, but I remember talking about this with my FOC, and he said something about how if someone is going to rape you, regardless of where, when, who, etc that you need to scream out. That screaming out is proof that you are a victim and that you're not just giving in to your attacker. I think that if this is put into play that egyptians won't find anything to talk about because you did all you could, but I do agree with you guys on that point of gossiping people.

sleepy

screaming, other forms of defence, etc. r all good. except sometimes they dont always work. thats the truth and thats life. im not saying not to try, but if there is no one around to hear u, how will people know that u did? u know wat i mean? pple wil still gossip.

• Well i certainly have an openion.

before that thought, i am abit illitrate so i wouldnt know what [glow=red,2,300]ostracized[/glow] is.

To my openion:
    Hell with all gossip, i can't hack it. and when i do it (rare), i don't forgive myself for it because like one priest said gossiping is like scattering a bag ful of feathers, you can ever collect all the feathers nor undo the harm done.

I would try to befriend that person who got raped.
    Just because they involenterliy and violently LOST their virginity that i'd try to wreck teir reputation by gossiping.

On the other hand...
    Some ppl just ask for it like the other day this girl who was wearing very short shorts and almost bra lie top (can't find a better name), but then no one really deserves to get raped, not even prostitutes.

peace
  • [quote author=peet link=board=1;threadid=431;start=15#msg6631 date=1089553164]

Well i certainly have an openion.
    before that thought, i am abit illitrate so i wouldnt know what [glow=red,2,300]ostracized[/glow] is.
    On the other hand...
    Some ppl just ask for it like the other day this girl who was wearing very short shorts and almost bra lie top (can't find a better name), but then no one really deserves to get raped, not even prostitutes.
    peace

k well ostracised, If i can spell it right, means something like to be left out or something like that ( i am not clever, i just saw it used in a film i saw!)

anway u can't say ppl bring it on themselves (well u can , its ur opinion). ppl choose to dress certian ways whether thats right or wrong doesn't mean that some one has the right to take away their freedome.
  • [quote author=flo link=board=1;threadid=431;start=15#msg6648 date=1089579709]
    [quote author=peet link=board=1;threadid=431;start=15#msg6631 date=1089553164]

Well i certainly have an openion.
    On the other hand...
    peace

k well ostracised, If i can spell it right, means something like to be left out or something like that ( i am not clever, i just saw it used in a film i saw!)

anway u can't say ppl bring it on themselves (well u can , its ur opinion). ppl choose to dress certian ways whether thats right or wrong doesn't mean that some one has the right to take away their freedome.

ostracized - disscommunicated? thats what i take it as... someone have a dictonary?

ASM
  • Webster's dictionary describes it as:
    to banish by voting with potsherds;
    to exclude from a group by common consent
  • back to the clothes point raised here... why would someone dress in that certain provocative way? common sense tells us it is to attract attention ... to show off their bodies, to let others lust for them.. etc... and girls who dress as such KNOW what might happen because its NOT somehting just modern nowadays, its somehitng ancient...

i really hope i have enlightened some of you here..

lates
  • just out of curiosity.....do u really think someone whos about to rape someone cares what they are wearing?
  • [quote author=mtm link=board=1;threadid=431;start=15#msg6660 date=1089589066]
    just out of curiosity.....do u really think someone whos about to rape someone cares what they are wearing?

i agree with you on that one, cos if someone is in that sort of mentality that they are going to rape someone then i don't think it matters to them how the paerson is dressed. but then you have to think if the rapist has planned on doing it or they saw someone with not a lot of clothes on and they are tempted.

in response to the other msg. i know ppl who just like to dress in certain ways not cos they like the attention, just cos its their style. ???