Where did it happen?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi, I have a problem:

Can you please tell me the location (geographically ) of the following events:

Abraham Married Sarah
They had Isaac (supposedly in Palestine!)
Abraham Offered Issac as a sacrifice (supposedly in palestine)

Isaac has Esau and Jacob (Land of Goshen - Egypt!)
Jacob has joseph and 11 other brothers.
Joseph becomes the King of Egypt

Moses is born (in Egypt!)
Moses and Israelites flee Egypt and cross the red sea and end up in Canaan and then later on Jerusalem..

But, that's where Abraham started!! He started out in Jerusalem, so how is it they ended up in Egypt, and then had to work their way back to Jerusalem).

Today, its in the news that the Israeli's wish to do some DIY on the Holy Mount (this is where Abraham offered his son Isaac as a sacrifice!).

So, if Abraham started out in Israel, how did his sons end up in Egypt, only for them to escape from Egypt???

I'm probably missing something. Thanks for any clarification.

(thanks in advance orthodox11!!!)

Comments

• You missed something....

Joseph's brothers didn't like him and wanted to kill him. They sold him the Ismalites. He was sold as a Slave to an Egyptian ruler (not king). He refused to sin with the ruler's wife. He was put in Jail. When he Interpreted the dreams of some of his convicts, he was released and he became "the second man in all of Egypt". The reason he became so was he was able to interpret the dream of Pharaoh that there will be a famine in all the land for 7 years. He was right, there was a famine in Palestine and the surrounding area. Jacob and his other children moved to Egypt since there was food there.

They were treated fairly since they were related to Joseph. The Bible says that after Pharaoh died, a new king took over and he didn't know Joseph. He was worried that the Isaraliets were multiplying and he enslaved them.

You can read all about this in Genesis starting from chapter 38 onward.

That is why they need to move out of Egypt.
  • [quote author=Coptic boy link=board=4;threadid=4963;start=0#msg67150 date=1170782552]
    You missed something....

Joseph's brothers didn't like him and wanted to kill him. They sold him the Ismalites. He was sold as a Slave to an Egyptian ruler (not king). He refused to sin with the ruler's wife. He was put in Jail. When he Interpreted the dreams of some of his convicts, he was released and he became "the second man in all of Egypt". The reason he became so was he was able to interpret the dream of Pharaoh that there will be a famine in all the land for 7 years. He was right, there was a famine in Palestine and the surrounding area. Jacob and his other children moved to Egypt since there was food there.

They were treated fairly since they were related to Joseph. The Bible says that after Pharaoh died, a new king took over and he didn't know Joseph. He was worried that the Isaraliets were multiplying and he enslaved them.

You can read all about this in Genesis starting from chapter 38 onward.

That is why they need to move out of Egypt.

No. You are missing the point. Im asking where did all things happen - not WHY they happened.

I just want to know the geographical location. It just seems that Abraham was already in Palestine before, yet the descendants of Jacob ended up in Egypt to only find themselves lost in the wilderness afterwards, and searching for Palestine.
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=4;threadid=4963;start=0#msg67147 date=1170771215]
    So, if Abraham started out in Israel, how did his sons end up in Egypt, only for them to escape from Egypt???

I'm not sure about the exact locations of the other stuff, other than the countries they happened in; and you already mentioned those (Palestine and Egypt).

The reason the Israelis ended up in Egypt is described in the book of Genesis, chapter 37. I'm sure you already know the story about Joseph getting thrown into the pit by his brothers.

Then it says that "Ishmaelitish [Arab] travellers came from Galaad, and their camels were heavily loaded with spices, and resin, and myrrh; and they went to bring them to Egypt.......and [his brothers] sold Joseph to the Ishmaelites for twenty pieces of gold; and they brought Joseph down to Egypt."

(thanks in advance orthodox11!!!)

;)