Fasting and Praying

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello, could someone please tell me why we fast for? What are the benefits of fasting and praying? WHy do both go hand in hand?

Also, the people of Ninevah, they fasted and prayed, and God had mercy on them. Why did fasting appeal to God.

Why did even Our Lord fast for 40 days ? What did He gain by that??

What is it about abstination of a certain type of food, or not even eating at all (in some cases) , that's so beneficial for us spiritually??

If one answer is : The body is against the spirit, and the spirit against the body; but, surely you don't want to kill the body? If you think this way, why not go and commit suicide? That way, you are sure that you've actually killed the body 100%. Fasting just seems to make u weak and tired.

Many thanks, also, if you have any books on fasting on the internet, please let me know.

Many many thanks,

Comments

• saba7 el kheir ya 3am vassillious. bos ya 3am, 3al internet hatla2y kotob keteer 3al soum (fasting). feeh site lesah meshteryah minoh kitab Asasat fee Khedmit El-Shemas ismoh www.orthodoxbookstore.com
    hatla2y 3andak categories keteer te2dar tena2y minhom... w'good luck ya 3amina!

Fibo
  • [quote author=filobateer link=board=4;threadid=4930;start=0#msg66773 date=1170083374]
    saba7 el kheir ya 3am v***illious. bos ya 3am, 3al internet hatla2y kotob keteer 3al soum (fasting). feeh site lesah meshteryah minoh kitab Asasat fee Khedmit El-Shemas ismoh www.orthodoxbookstore.com
    hatla2y 3andak categories keteer te2dar tena2y minhom... w'good luck ya 3amina!

Fibo

Yes, but i was looking for something that was public domain.

THe Pope had a book on fasting. Does anyone have it in PDF??
  • oh okay... asfah 3al misunderstanding. i thought you were interested in buying books that discussed fasting. laken mafeesh moshkelah because if you go to the following link, you will find everything you need to know about fasting. la, w'eh kaman... it's composed by Pope Shenouda.

http://tasbeha.org/content/hh_books/fasting/index.html

3alalah yekoun dah helpful. :)

Fibo
  • Thank Fibo,
    That's exactly what i need.

It would be cool if the tasbeha.org team could have a look at presentation. Its good material, but hard to read ;)

THanks again, and God bless

Oh and kola sana wentom tayebeen for Jonas' fast!
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=4;threadid=4930;start=0#msg66771 date=1170078388]
    Hello, could someone please tell me why we fast for? What are the benefits of fasting and praying? WHy do both go hand in hand?
    becasue you fast to be granted mercy as you mentioned below. or also repentence. but you can't get that without prayer and connection betwwen you and God. fasting is to control yourself and not let your body or thoughts control you.

Also, the people of Ninevah, they fasted and prayed, and God had mercy on them. Why did fasting appeal to God.

Why did even Our Lord fast for 40 days ? What did He gain by that??

to give us an example like the rest of the secrements we have.

What is it about abstination of a certain type of food, or not even eating at all (in some cases) , that's so beneficial for us spiritually??

food is one main thing you need to live, in flesh. by controling that, you can control yourself and not let food, or anything else control you. also what goes with that is prayer and loving God by your own choise since you are now under no power except your own will.

If one answer is : The body is against the spirit, and the spirit against the body; but, surely you don't want to kill the body? If you think this way, why not go and commit suicide? That way, you are sure that you've actually killed the body 100%. Fasting just seems to make u weak and tired.

the spirit is not against the body to the point of death no. don't forget, the spirit lives through the body until the body dies. but also don't forget that the body is the temple of God and He gave you control over the body to keep it until you go back to Him. He gave you control over the body, not the other way around.
  • I remember in Sunday School a teacher taught us about a saint (cant remember the exact one) and one of his quotes was: Fasting without prayer is nothing and prayer without fasting is nothing, so i think your interpretation of the two being side to side is absolutely correct.
  • well u teach urself control on ur hole body. not to eat , curse...

imagine livin in solitude. well not realy....hmm.

it keeps the devil away. prevents temptation.