Do we know the day Jesus will return or not?

edited December 2006 in Faith Issues
In the Bible it says noone knows the day or the hour...

but don't we not know that He will come 45 days after the 1290 days?

This is from reading Abouna Tadros Malaty's Commentary on the book of Daniel..

You can get it from the site below

http://www.stgeorge-sporting.org/books/frtadrosEn.htm

Comments

• [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=4813;start=0#msg65503 date=1167299986]
    In the Bible it says noone knows the day or the hour...

but don't we not know that He will come 45 days after the 1290 days?

This is from reading Abouna Tadros Malaty's Commentary on the book of Daniel..

You can get it from the site below

http://www.stgeorge-sporting.org/books/frtadrosEn.htm

45+1290 days from the murder of the antichrist.

the bible never gave an exact date or hour cuz no ones knows when except God. but we do know what would lead to it. like the antichrist and a lot more signs christ have listed and were put indrictly in the old testement.
  • no one really nos. sry!! only God our savior Knows. ::)
  • also as written in the gospel a day on earth is not the same as a day in heaven as everyone else said no one knows except the father (GOD)
  • won't He come 45 days after the 1290 days (from the commentary)?

I thought when Jesus comes then the antichrist will die.. not that the antichrist would be dead before Jesus comes..
  • tell me wwhere in the comentary does it say that
  • see page 134 near the bottom
  • I really don't know but i am sure that only God and only God knows about that day. Also in the comantary of St. Mark's Gosple by Father Tadrous he said that is not good for the man to know the hour and we sould wait for him to come any time.
  • i think your topic is very intersting but i agree with st. monica and if god would acually gave us the day he will come then most of people wouldn't care and do a lot of sins and then like a week or so before the day they will repent

do you catch my point got want us to be always waiting for him and it is saying in the bible that he's going to come as a thieve so no body acually knows the day

even when the people asked jesus he said no body knows not even the angels in heaven not the son either

but the son really does know but he just didn't want to tell them

got bless u all!
  • are you sure the Son did know?
  • of course he knew he is God and in no way shape or form less than God. so can how God keep something from himself. the Father is in the Son and the Son in the Father together with the Holy Spirit. not one seperated from another for a single moment nor a twinkling of an eye.
  • The son know the hour because he is God. But i think he said that even the son doesn't know the hour was to keep the disiples from even asking him beacuse if the son doesn't know then they will never ask.
  • Ok even if we do know its 45 days after the death of the antichrist that doesn't prove anything because we don't know when the antichrist will come or when he will die
  • there is a verse in the bible that says not even the angels know when Jesus second coming will be, im trying to find it..But anyways, theres your answer. No we do not know the day in which Jesus will return
  • Also it is written that in 2 Peter 3:8
    But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.
    So saying 45 days doesn't exactly mean 45 days also this was asid by St. Jerome you never know if he is right or wrong because it says nothing in the bible about 45 days after the death of the antichrist.

• [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=board=1;threadid=4813;start=0#msg65808 date=1167885935]
    there is a verse in the bible that says not even the angels know when Jesus second coming will be, im trying to find it..But anyways, theres your answer. No we do not know the day in which Jesus will return

this is where that verse is
    Matthew 24:36
  • What is the churches interpreatation of Luke 17:30 ?

apart from that verse is it true some believers will not die but they will be taken up when Christ comes again?
    I know we as orthodox do not believe Christians will be taken up before the tribulation period..

• [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=4813;start=15#msg65848 date=1168050364]
    What is the churches interpreatation of Luke 17:30 ?

apart from that verse is it true some believers will not die but they will be taken up when Christ comes again?
    I know we as orthodox do not believe Christians will be taken up before the tribulation period..

where does it say that some believers will not die but they will be taken up when Christ comes again.
  • From an orthodox site I read I think the 45 days may be symbolic and not literal and that makes sense if we do not know when Christ will return.. but im not sure thats true..

where does it say that some believers will not die but they will be taken up when Christ comes again.

1 Corinthians 15:51 (King James Version)

51Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

FROM
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Corinthians 15:51;&version=9;

Thessalonians 4:17 (King James Version)

17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

FROM
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Thessalonians 4:17;&version=9;

And this verse I think

Matthew 24:31 (King James Version)

31And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

FROM
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew 24:31;&version=9;

Good christians might be taken up when Christ returns which might be after the tribulation period..
  • Hey,

To answer the original question:

"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." (Mark 13:32)

"Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming." (Mattew 25:13)

Merry Christmas
  • In the story of the rich man and lazarus... lazarus went to abraham's bosom.. but Jesus was not dead yet so how could anyone go to paradise?
  • hi, i think that this discussion is useless, bcoz the day you really should care about it is the day of your death ... you don`t have any idea when will this day come, and i think that no one know except god, so i read about it a book for pop shenouda, says .. that the day that jesus`ll come is human death, in this day will be that human`s second raise, this day is nearer than the other so, think about it
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=4813;start=15#msg65962 date=1168327266]
    In the story of the rich man and lazarus... lazarus went to abraham's bosom.. but Jesus was not dead yet so how could anyone go to paradise?

this was a proable not a real story even thogh Christ included a name. the name lazaruz means my beloved and that just simplizes how beloved of Christ only will go to heaven.

What is the churches interpreatation of Luke 17:30 ?

17:30
    "It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed.

that when the Son of Man comes again on the last day, He would be in His divine and great image.

this explanition might help:
    [pre]Even thus shall it be in the day when the son of man is
    revealed.
    ] In his power, when he comes to avenge himself on the Jews; and when he is revealed from heaven in flaming fire, at the last day. As in the days of Noah and Lot, men lived in great carnality and security, thoughtless and fearless of danger, so were the Jews before the destruction of their city and temple, buoying themselves up with deliverance to the last; and such will be the times of indolence and supineness, before the coming of the day of the Lord to judgment: and as the destruction of the old world, and men of Sodom, and the adjacent parts, was sudden and unexpected, so was the destruction of Jerusalem, and so will be the burning of the world; that day will come, as a thief in the night: and as in the above calamities, there was a remnant saved, who were taken care of; as Noah and his family in tim ark, and as Lot, and his wife and daughters were snatched out of Sodom, when the rest were destroyed; so when the Christians removed from Jerusalem, and went to Pella, being directed by a divine oracle, then came on the siege of Jerusalem F18; and when all the elect will be gathered in, and brought to faith and repentance, then shall the earth, and the works in it be burnt up: and as these judgments were universal, so was that upon the people of the Jews: and such will be the general desolation in the last day.
    [/pre]

yes the ones that would be allready alive in flesh will be taken up straight to heaven if they deserve it. as orthodox we belive that we will be taken up if we are worthy and if we are still there in the time of Christ's Second coming.
    in the vreses you posted, it never said anything about the tribulation time. atleast not for every one. i guess the tribulation time ur talking about is the time of the antichrist and the time of the release of the devil and that ...but that doesn't have to do with us takin up to heaven.
    basicly it's this:
    who ever dies now and is worthy of heaven in general, goes to the waiting place, Paradise. who ever is not, goes to hedes the aiting place of hell. than on the second coming, the Day of the Lord, on the day the Son of Man is revealed, the worthy ones that are still alive on earth willb etaken up by Christ with those in paradise and will be judged and every one will be in their proper estate or level in heaven. same to hell and to Satanael, he will be cast down to thelower hell where he was before, the un worthy will go to those in hedes and will be judged and will be in there proper lever in hell to.
  • What is the churches interpretation of luke 17:31-37?

Luke 17:31-37 (King James Version)

31In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.

32Remember Lot's wife.

33Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

34I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.

35Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

36Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

37And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.

FROM
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke 17:31-37&version=9

• [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=4813;start=15#msg66413 date=1169360556]
    What is the churches interpretation of luke 17:31-37?

Luke 17:31-37 (King James Version)

Here this is from the commentary onthe whole bible by Matthew Henry This is the website: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/henry/mhc5.iii.xviii.html

"He that shall be on the house-top, when the alarm is given, let him not come down, to take his stuff away, both because he cannot spare so much time, and because the carrying away of his effects will but encumber him and retard his flight." Let him not regard his stuff at such a time, when it will be next to a miracle of mercy if he have his life given him for a prey. It will be better to leave his stuff behind him than to stay to look after it, and perish with them that believe not. It will be their concern to do as Lot and his family were charged to do: Escape for thy life. Save yourselves from this untoward generation. (2.) When they have made their escape, they must not think of returning (v. 32): "Remember Lot's wife; and take warning by her not only to flee from this Sodom (for so Jerusalem is become, Isa. i. 10), but to persevere in your flight, and do not look back, as she did; be not loth to leave a place marked for destruction, whomsoever or whatsoever you leave behind you, that is ever so dear to you." Those who have left the Sodom of a natural state, let them go forward, and not so much as look a kind look towards it again. Let them not look back, lest they should be tempted to go back; nay, lest that be construed a going back in heart, or an evidence that the heart was left behind. Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt, that she might remain a lasting monument of God's displeasure against apostates, who begin in the spirit and end in the flesh. (3.) There would be no other way of saving their lives than by quitting the Jews, and, if they thought to save themselves by a coalition with them, they would find themselves mistaken (v. 33): "Whosoever shall seek to save his life, by declining from his Christianity and complying with the Jews, he shall lose it with them and perish in the common calamity; but whosoever is willing to venture his life with the Christians, upon the same bottom on which they venture, to take his lot with them in life and in death, he shall preserve his life, for he shall make sure of eternal life, and is in a likelier way at that time to save his life than those who embark in a Jewish bottom, or ensure upon their securities." Note, Those do best themselves that trust God in the way of duty.

7. That all good Christians should certainly escape, but many of them very narrowly, from that destruction, v. 34-36. When God's judgments are laying all waste, he will take an effectual course to preserve those that are his, by remarkable providences distinguishing between them and others that were nearest to them: two in a bed, one taken and the other left; one snatched out of the burning and taken into a place of safety, while the other is left to perish in the common ruin. Note, Though the sword devours one as well as another, and all things seem to come alike to all, yet sooner or later it shall be made to appear that the Lord knows them that are his and them that are not, and how to take out the precious from the vile. We are sure that the Judge of all the earth will do right; and therefore, when he sends a judgment on purpose to avenge the death of his Son upon those that crucified him, he will take care that none of those who glorified him, and gloried in his cross, shall be taken away by that judgment.

8. That this distinguishing, dividing, discriminating work shall be done in all places, as far as the kingdom of God shall extend, v. 37. Where, Lord? They had enquired concerning the time, and he would not gratify their curiosity with any information concerning that; they therefore tried him with another question: "Where, Lord? Where shall those be safe that are taken? Where shall those perish that are left?" The answer is proverbial, and may be explained so as to answer each side of the question: Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together. (1.) Wherever the wicked are, who are marked for perdition, they shall be found out by the judgments of God; as wherever a dead carcase is, the birds of prey will smell it out, and make a prey of it. The Jews having made themselves a dead and putrefied carcase, odious to God's holiness and obnoxious to his justice, wherever any of that unbelieving generation is, the judgments of God shall fasten upon them, as the eagles do upon the prey: Thine hand shall find out all thine enemies (Ps. xxi. 8), though they set their nests among the stars, Obad. 4. The Roman soldiers will hunt the Jews out of all their recesses and fastnesses, and none shall escape. (2.) Wherever the godly are, who are marked for preservation, they shall be found happy in the enjoyment of Christ. As the dissolution of the Jewish church shall be extended to all parts, so shall the constitution of the Christian church. Wherever Christ is, believers will flock to him, and meet in him, as eagles about the prey, without being directed or shown the way, by the instinct of the new nature. Now Christ is where his gospel, and his ordinances, and his church are: For where two or three are gathered in his name there is he in the midst of them, and thither therefore others will be gathered to him. The kingdom of the Messiah is not to have one particular place for its metropolis, such as Jerusalem was to the Jewish church, to which all Jews were to resort; but, wherever the body is, wherever the gospel is preached and ordinances are ministered, thither will pious souls resort, there they will find Christ, and by faith feast upon him. Wherever Christ records his name he will meet his people, and bless them, John iv. 21, &c.; 1 Tim. ii. 8. Many good interpreters understand it of the gathering of the saints together to Christ in the kingdom of glory: "Ask not where the carcase will be, and how they shall find the way to it, for they shall be under infallible direction; to him who is their living, quickening Head, and the centre of their unity, to him shall the gathering of the people be."
  • Is Matthew Henry Orthodox
  • we dont know but god tells us to be ready for it at all times
  • no body knows..................... not even st. Mary
  • actually no one knows this. only god of course.
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=4813;start=15#msg66452 date=1169451342]
    Is Matthew Henry Orthodox?

I am not sure but this commentary is from an Orthodox site so I think we can read this commentary