Educational lessons for hymns

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hi All
I have got a question that came into my mind. I love coptic hymns to the point of madness and I would like to learn hymns in the proper way, unfortunately I tried contacting the theological college but they said that I can't do a distance study for hymns. So now my question is: does anyone know where i can get EDUCATIONAL CDs for hymns, what I mean by educational is that a teacher is teaching the hymns so that I can learn them, because when I learn hymns from Ibrahim ayad or something, i find it a bit hard, so I need like a teacher that can teach me. Also does anyone know where I can find video CDs or something that are for educational (again like a teacher teaching hymns and breaking the hymn to bits and pieces???) I have tried listening to Cantor Gad Lowis on Tasbeha but unfortunately he doesn't have all the hymns,
If you can help me with that, that would be very very great.

thanks

Baladoos

Comments

• I dont know about any educational CD's but i guess there would be some around.

There is a T.V program called Aghapy which has many Alhan lessons and its really helpful.
  • i think if u talked to one of the elder deacon in your church (What church do u go to ?) and i am sure they will help you coz after that you will help them in the liturgy coz u will already be taught.. thats how i got taught
  • i agree with crazy4christ i think you should talk to a deacon that can teach you everything with you right there to catch your mistakes. also because each church might say stuff just a little bit differently. not enough that the song can't be recognized by someone from another church but just enough to make you stop singing so as to not disturb the flow of the hymn. that they know. i know this from experience. i learned a hymn from another teacher besides the deacons that sings it. and when it came time to sing the song it was a different way of singing it in some parts. note that this song was in pascha so if you mess up someone who is singing and take their attention from the song thats pretty much asking for a disaster.

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • Hi there,
    Well basically i'm the head deacon on my church and I know lots of hymns, but what I'm talking about is a teacher that teaches the very hard hymns, e.g the long teoy enhikanos, the Kihak long hoos start......etc, stuff like that. because hymns like that are a bit hard to learn by just listening, so if anyone can help with that, that would be great.
    Also does anyone have recordings of that Agape TV stuff. Mainly I am looking for videos for teachers that can teach the very hard hymns not the basic liturgy hymns.

thanks

Baladoos
  • GO TO COPTICHERITAGE.ORG!!!!!! learn from the HCOC CLASSES!!!!! they are the best! they say them hymns the correct way. From what many people have been saying, the HICS ("higher" institute of coptic studies) is the standard in which people learn the hymns. However, this is uncorrect. Our standard should be muallem MIkhaeel girgis el batanouny the "Great." Basically without him, we wouldnt know hymns peroid. The HICS were taught by the great maullem, however some of his disciples came to teach them as well and have made a couple of mistakes. The HCOC is trying to fix this and a couple of the pronouciations within the coptic, which our arabic language really screws up. So they are the most dedicated to finding the correct version of a hymn..........plus they have soo many classes.....i have already learned soo much from them