Is this true?

edited November 2006 in Faith Issues
Hi everyone,

I hope people will respond to this:

I heard, from the Coptic Church, that adultary is inherited. What they said was that if the parents commit adultary, the children are also most likely to follow suit.

Is this true?

Also, if it is true, it means that adultary is in the genes??

Also - has anyone else heard this saying?? It sounds like an old wive's tale, i know, but i heard from servants in the Church in fact.

Regards

Comments

• [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=4686;start=0#msg63897 date=1164657581]
    Hi everyone,

I hope people will respond to this:

I heard, from the Coptic Church, that adultary is inherited. What they said was that if the parents commit adultary, the children are also most likely to follow suit.

Is this true?

Also, if it is true, it means that adultary is in the genes??

Also - has anyone else heard this saying?? It sounds like an old wive's tale, i know, but i heard from servants in the Church in fact.

Regards

Vassilios,
    can i just ask you to not include the Coptic Church as a whole. you can just say i heard from someone or some bady from the church but not the whole church every single person on earth is resposible for his own except if your a clergy man, than you might have others on your back. 1 person of a community is not enough to justify its beliefe. except if the community put in his hand that power.

now to answer your qution,
    No adultry is not inherited. sin is not inherited.

Also genes don't control you as to commit adultry or not.
  • Well, i heard it from a bishop, and also Church servants. That's why i placed it under the topic of faith.

Now Mina, easy.. i mean... let's wait and see what others have to say. THat's why i asked "has anyone else heard this before".

Has anyone heard of Dr . Nabil Baki? I was listening to one of his cassettes and i remember him saying that.

Perhaps the words arent the same.. but it was on the lines of :if u commit adultary, then this sin is passed on to your kids... 7aga izaya keda?

• Now, i m not saying its genes!! NOT AT ALL...
    that's my whole point.

THe underlying message was:

If parents, or one of, commit adultary, then the children will learn this spirit of infidelity and also live the same way.

• [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=4686;start=0#msg63900 date=1164658801]
    Now, i m not saying its genes!! NOT AT ALL...
    that's my whole point.

THe underlying message was:

If parents, or one of, commit adultary, then the children will learn this spirit of infidelity and also live the same way.

well that depends on the situation of the parents, the childern and what going to happend next. because like i said sin is not inherited but it's consiquence would be. so the child would be alon if the parents get divorced and would lose his faith if he is not strong enough.
  • i agree vas,

i also heard that........... if the mom and dad smoke and drink the kids are more likely to do so when they grow up!

and if the parents got divorced! it affects the child's mind and emotions! and it will has an effect on him later on!

the children look to parents as a ROLE MODEL! I work with kids, and they look up to me! I even watch out for what I say around them!

• Well, again in my opinion that the situation vaires, but what i can say is that not every single parents that are bad get bad children. We heard about Soul and his son jonathan and how Soul used to be a jelous person but his son Jonathan was not like that. But ofcourse the way the parents behave does really effect the behaviour of thier children, because children get their experience from their parents. But again that doesn't NECESSARILY mean that if parents used to drink, or smoke then children will be the same. But this is just my opinion really

Baladoos
  • My opininion is that what they're ( 'the Coptic Church') trying to say is that the environment of sin caused by the parents influences the child. For example, a chile could be born into a family that deals with drug and alchohol-related addictions, and so because the child has grown up all their life only knowning this environment, they accept it as their only possible lifestyle. It would take a very strong person to avoid following their parents habits or this would require a huge influence in thier life (e.g. meeting an orthodox christian who could convert them) for them to change.

I dont think that sin is 'inherited' from the parents, but rather 'given' to the children because they live through the negative environment constantly.