Im deeply sorry

edited November 2006 in Personal Issues
Hi Everyone,

I received a couple of private messages telling me that i offended others in this room.

I just like to say im sorry if i have offended anyone.

I hope we can all learn to communicate and share our ideas without offending anyone. Im still learning this.... its hard. I admit.

But anyway, i think u are all good people at least.. Oh!! AND BY THE WAY!! GUESS WHAT:

Remember how i was complaining that the youth in our Church no longer like to sing the tasbeha etc.. (this is the youth in London). ACtually, they NEVER have sung the tasbeha with us. In fact, they started bringing to the prayer meetings songs from the Protestant Church that were (in my opinion) really REALLY lame.

Remember that?

Well - these australian guys came, and apparently have taught all the youth the tasbeha. They sing it with them in English. The girls still sing their silly protestant songs, then they all sing together in Coptic/English the tasbeha. That's amazing. We were so divided. They hated the tasbeha.. Now we're more united.

I THINK ITS EXTREMELY RUDE to bring protestant songs to the COptic Church. I go to a catholic church in France, but i wouldnt bring ANYTHING to dilute what our Coptic Church gives us.

Well done. If u are australian - "a TRUE BLUE", feel proud of yourselves!!!

You DINKY DYES!!!

Comments

• I appreciate that, thankyou Vas...

One of the many things Orthodox Churches do in general by tradition is holding people together!

God Bless!
  • fair dinkum!!!!

aussie aussie aussie - oi oi oi

I hope we can all learn to communicate and share our ideas without offending anyone. Im still learning this.... its hard. I admit.

Amen brother!! i think we all need to pray for each other!

Kristina123
  • vas thanks for comfirming my thoughts lol finally australia is known for doing something good in your eyes lol
  • hay whats wrong with protestant songs? i personally love them.. hymns rnt meant to be categorised by different denominations.. if its all to do with praising God then y not? ye i agree with you.. tasbeha really is the bomb and i love it so much.. but there's nothing wrong with other spiritual songs.. and again.. please do not call them silly or lame.. even though everyone has different taste its all a praise to God isnt it?

+FROG+
  • your story made me hungry and all i could think about while reading it was food and macdonalds.

If what is being discussed here is whether or not to sing protestant songs in our Coptic Church then I would agree its not appropriate and is definantly disrespectful but if we are talking about singing these praises at youth meetings then im going to support FULLY RELY ON GOD.

shine Jesus shine, here I am Lord, Come sing a song, Lord i lift ur name, Father we adore u, you are my world, amazing grace, how could I, Jonah are only a few of the many protestant songs that we here in Australia sing during our meetings.

I don’t see it as disrespectful to be praising with these hymns and do not consider them ‘lame’ or 'junk'. Im not sure what happens at your church or what you sing perhaps you would like to enlighten us.

We are not saying to replace what the Coptic Church offers but we appreciate the hymns song by protestants and thus use them cause their songs are quite beautiful. I think your referring to music which have melodies that lead us astray from the true meaning of praise. Im not sure but could you please clarify as this is an interesting topic.
  • No. They refuse to sing any coptic songs in Coptic Orthodox prayer meetings. Its not fair. If they wish to sing protestant songs in the Church, then at least compromise and participate with others. But to force to sing that stuff...

Right after the coptic mass, they all rush off to Holy Trinity Brompton (HTB) and get really into charismatic prayer...

I like to listen to protestant music even, but to bring it into the coptic church and use it to replace what was prepared for us already by the coptic church is disrespectful.
  • ahhh i see where your coming from and i agree if protestant songs are used in place of coptic songs then it is indeed disrespectful. it would be most appropriate in such situations to as you state compromise.

btw what is the Holy Trinity Brompton (HTB)?
  • sorry i was just told it was part of the anglican church, may i ask then why coptics are going there after the mass???
  • Yes, when i went to the prayer group (in the Coptic Church), i was glad to see at 1st that the youth were singing english songs. I then noticed that they had even produced a booklet of all the protestant songs. Then it started to become a problem when they catagorically refused to sing ANYTHING coptic or even arabic (from the Coptic Church, whether tasbeha, or praise, or church mass hymns).

Its starting to change a bit (like i said, thanks to a few true-blue dinky dye aussie guys).

HTB is one of the largest protestant churches in the UK.
    Its in central london. I went once to meet a friend there - and i have nothing against it.. i just don't want whatever they have in my Coptic Church.
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=10;threadid=4640;start=0#msg63286 date=1163597997]
    Right after the coptic mass, they all rush off to Holy Trinity Brompton (HTB) and get really into charismatic prayer...

how would you know unless you went...
  • I must agree with vass....protestant songs dont belong in the coptic church.......my all time pet hate.

Its not as if we ran out of hymns.........our hymns are beautiful and can never be written again........i think its our duty 2 cherish these hymns by learning and singing them when we can.

i alway ask myself the question?. r we going 2 be the generation thats responsible for the loss of our hymns!.....i truly hope we are not
  • Because they told me. They told me that right after the coptic mass, they rush off and go every sunday.
  • do they also tell u they get into charismatic prayer or is that another assumption?
  • [quote author=FULLY RELY ON GOD link=board=10;threadid=4640;start=0#msg63291 date=1163599119]
    [quote author=vassilios link=board=10;threadid=4640;start=0#msg63286 date=1163597997]

how would you know unless you went...

Because they told me. They told me that right after the coptic mass, they rush off and go every sunday to HTB.

Forget about the hymns, im scared that they will be introducing into the church other stuff they learnt there such as:

a) Its OK to pray with tongues (they've already begun thinking like this) - and how do i know? : THEY've ALL TOLD ME! This is the most worrying thing!!

b) They may introduce new dogmas or protestant ideology...

c) They will influence the other Coptic kids by this nonsense
  • Its not as if we ran out of hymns

then why arent we singing hymns from our coptic church as much as protestant songs??

i truly love coptic hymns, i love unique hymns
  • Not only have they told me that they believe in praying in tongues, but on kid (who was protestant and now Coptic), i asked him :"tell me, i notice that u are a deacon now, do u understand the coptic hymns when u sing as a shamass??"

He said: "Well, its hard to sing in arabic or coptic, but thank God , when i don't understand, i start to sing in tongues during the mass whilst the other deacons are singing in coptic".

He is a major figure in the Church youth with us!!
  • [quote author=catch me if u can link=board=10;threadid=4640;start=15#msg63297 date=1163599529]
    Its not as if we ran out of hymns

then why arent we singing hymns from our coptic church as much as protestant songs??

i truly love coptic hymns, i love unique hymns

They seem to love the protestant movement. They go often to HTB. At uni, when they go to prayer meetings etc, they hear that stuff... ITS FINE. I don't have a problem. But its disrespectful to leave or not even TASTE what your own church has and then to replace it with stuff like that...That's awful!!!

You see now why Australians are looking good in our eyes?? Because they've managed to bridge the divide between our youth.
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=10;threadid=4640;start=15#msg63299 date=1163599811]
    You see now why Australians are looking good in our eyes?? Because they've managed to bridge the divide between our youth.

so if an australian does 1 mistake u curse the whole country n all the people in it but if another 1 does sumfin gd u suddenly love them? way to go matey!
  • hhahaha.. NO ONE has any more comments to make now that my last sentence was :

"You see why now australians are looking good..."

I admit, its good, because we ALL tried to make them taste the Coptic hymns , whether tasbeha or mass, but they refused. All of them.

believe me, abouna Thomas was so sad about this. He was worried a lot. We all were... we felt our church had been overtaken by protestants pretending to be Coptic christians - and worse part is : they have servant-positions within the Church!!!

Man... we're becoming Charismatic, AND NONE OF U CARE BECAUSE so LONG AS AUSTRALIANS ARE NICE, THEN IT DOESNT MATTER!!?? HAHAHHA

Someone MUSt have something else to say???!!!
  • [quote author=FULLY RELY ON GOD link=board=10;threadid=4640;start=15#msg63300 date=1163600429]
    [quote author=vassilios link=board=10;threadid=4640;start=15#msg63299 date=1163599811]

so if an australian does 1 mistake u curse the whole country n all the people in it but if another 1 does sumfin gd u suddenly love them? way to go matey!

I never said "ALL Australians are bad"!!
    I just said those that i know ... and i apologised for that 10000 times. I even got sworn at. U have had ur fair share of revenge on me for this FROG!!

Do u feel like giving it a break ?
  • well i was going to ask what sex was the majority as in those who are replacing coptic hymns with protestant songs? but through discussions i have realised that im wrong and it depends on the individual.what i mean is that most deacons have coptic tongues and can therefore learn coptic hymns quicker in comparison with females i know myself i love listening to coptic hymns but ive struggled when trying to learn it but enshallah ill grasp it

something that he noted that i agreed with was that the replacement of hymns was possibly due to society's influence and new the hip hop culture.
  • No Catch,
    Basically, the girls also are starting to pray in tongues.. or make themselves pray in tongues. they ALL think its a gift of the Holy SPirit (speaking jibberish).

Its all of them. There's just a handful of deacons that do the tasbeha in coptic, and go and do not mix with the rest of the youth.

I go to a catholic church, and i admit that the songs i like, are so close to what we sing in the tasbeha. In fact, its literally a word-for-word copy of the upsulmodia. But, i fear that with protestant songs, comes protestant idealogy within the songs... and there is a reason why we do not have this in our Church.

• yeah vas you have valid points and i certainly agree but i think even tasbeha is taking in protestant songs, in the hymns section, i only noticed this song not sure if theres others but 'All things are possible' is a song by HillSongs.
  • Hey guys 'n gals,

Why don't you all participate in the topic "Please explain" which disucsses more the differences of protestant songs and coptic songs.

This topic was under personal issues, and we got side-tracked into talking about protestant influence in our church.

Betwee n u and I, this is even a problem in the Catholic Church, where many now are considered "Catholique Charismatique" - i mean, its a sect now (a growing sect!) within the catholic church that's very charismatic. All they say is "Lord, we love u".

Now, we've just noticed something very very important:

Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus say :"I love u"
    Nowhere in the tasbeha nor the mass, do we say "we love you".

Yet, protestant hymns are FULL of "i love u".

Let's discuss it further in that section as its related to our faith.