Keep the sabbath day holy

edited October 2006 in Faith Issues
If we are commanded to keep the sabbath holy

I want to know if it is okay to work on the sabbath.. I know its okay to do good and help those who need help in some cases.. which may require work..

But is it okay to help someone on the sabbath with his business.. the person works on the sabbath...

Im not sure im making sense..

I know the law was made for man and not the man for the law...

do you think we can choose to obey the command or not depending on whether we want rest or not? would it be a sin to work on the sabbath for worldly gain..

I think I am lacking in discernment and understanding the spirit sometimes..

Comments

• This post was previously on colossians 2 I accidently edited the post and so I changed the name of the post..

I still want to know about colossians 2

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians 2;&version=9;
    King James Version..

About the verse below..

16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

So we do not have to keep the sabbath?

And I want the verses below explained...

20Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,

21(Touch not; taste not; handle not;

22Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

23Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.
  • Does anybody have any information about this? This is a very intersting topic that should be addressed.
  • :S:S sorry if this is completely wrong.. but isn't all that stuff before Christ ??? I don't know where i got that from.. must've picked it up somewhere along the line.
  • Christians are not obliged to keep the Sabbath (Saturday) as a day of rest anymore, although this is still custom in some places (like Ethiopia).

The OT commandment to keep the 7th day of the week as a day of rest (Heb. Shabbat) has been fulfilled in our observance of the Lord's Day, which is the 1st (or rather 8th) day of the week, on which our Lord rose from the dead.

What St. Paul is telling us in Colossians is that we should not judge those who chose to keep the Sabbath, and those who keep it should not judge the ones who don't.

Atleast that's my understanding of it.
  • are we obliged to keep the Lords day?
    can we judge those people who do not keep it as sinning?
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=4559;start=0#msg62597 date=1162377434]
    are we obliged to keep the Lords day?

Yes,, though I'm not certain it needs to be a day of rest.

can we judge those people who do not keep it as sinning?

"One is the Lawgiver and Judge, Who is able to save and to destroy. But who art thou who judgest another?" (James 4:12)
  • no I do not mean judging them as bad people but that they are sinning..

is it a sin not to go to church on sunday (the LORD's day .. am I right?) ?

If I know I can't take communion one sunday I don't want to go to church.
  • The Sabbath should be a day of delight and rejoicing, a day which we forsake our thoughts and words for God's thoughts and words. Isaiah 56, 58

The Sabbath is a time of healing. Matthew 12, Mark 1, 3, Luke 13, 14

The Sabbath is a time to do good and visit and comfort the sick. We should do spiritual work on the Sabbath, serving others. John 5

The Sabbath is a time of prayer. Acts 16:13

The Sabbath is a time to reason with others about spiritual principles, and for ministers to teach the word of God. Acts 17:2, 18:4, 11

"I do not mean judging them as bad people but that they are sinning.." one must acknowldge their own sin otherwise they will not change, thats where friends come in supporting each other and uplifting one another

i dont think it is not a sin if u dont go to church, but it would spiritually benefit u if u did even if u dont take the holy communion,
    if your child is hungry will u not cook them something to eat the Lord gives this eg. ' what man is there among you who has one sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the sabbath, will not lay hold of it and lift it out?' Matthew 12:12
    therefore i think its important to keep the sabbath holy but it doesnt necessarily mean not to work
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=4559;start=0#msg62653 date=1162463370]
    no I do not mean judging them as bad people but that they are sinning..

is it a sin not to go to church on sunday (the LORD's day .. am I right?) ?

I think you should be careful in thinking of sin just in the context of a list of rights and wrongs.

The Greek (and therefore Biblical) word for sin literally means to miss the target, or something to that effect.

Likewise, the word metania (repentance) means to turn around; to realign ourselves with the straight path, which is Christ.

So it would be silly to say "missing church on a sunday is a sin," and equally silly to say absolutely that it isn't. It just isn't that black and white.

If I know I can't take communion one sunday I don't want to go to church.

This is a selfish approach (I'm not saying you're selfish btw, just saying we shouldn't think about it in this way).

The whole part of going to church is that we are with other people in the Body of Christ (i.e. the Church).

As my FOC keeps telling me, "one Christian is no Christian."

If one consider going to church purely in terms of "me" and what "I" can receive from it, then you're missing the whole point of church.

• well to tell you the truth if I am not taking holy communion I do not want to go to church on sunday... I can read the bible in my own home... when I do go to church maybe most of the time I do not stay long to talk to other people I just want to go home...

I don't have much to talk about and id rather be alone.. why stand and listen to bad talk also?

So I want to know if its okay not to go to church on sunday if I am going to try to spend time with God in my own house..
    considering what I said..
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=1;threadid=4559;start=0#msg63146 date=1163277641]
    well to tell you the truth if I am not taking holy communion I do not want to go to church on sunday... I can read the bible in my own home... when I do go to church maybe most of the time I do not stay long to talk to other people I just want to go home...

So, appart from Holy Communion, all church is to you is talking and reading the Bible?

If that's all it is, what's the point of Vespers, of Matins, of the raising of incense, etc.?

Do you talk during the service? I'm guessing you don't. So its obviously not the reason you go to church.

To ignore the communal aspect of prayer is unChristian. We pray together, as one Body.

So I want to know if its okay not to go to church on sunday if I am going to try to spend time with God in my own house..
    considering what I said..

If you're unable to get to church because you're disabled, sick, can't afford the journey, etc. then of course its OK to stay at home and pray by yourself.

But if you're able to go to church, and you chose not to, this is not good. You are separating yourself from the other members of the Body of Christ.

We are saved together, not as individuals. Its not healthy to hold this attitude.

Please pray for me, a sinner.
  • hey mike,
    i have a story for you:

A church goer wrote a letter to the editor of the newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every sunday. "ive gone for 30 years now", he wrote, "and in that time i have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, i cant remember a single one of them. so i think im wasting time and the pastors are wasting theirs ny giving the sermons at all". This started a real controversy in the 'letters to the editor' column. it went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:

ive been married for 30 years now. in that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals but for the life of me, i cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But i do know this: they all nourished me and gave me the sttrength i needed to do my work. if my wife had not given me these meals, i would be physically dead today. Likewise if i had not gone to church for nourishment, i would be spiritually dead today

• are shops allowed to open on the sabbath?

• Matthew 12:1-21

Jesus Is Lord of the Sabbath

1 At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. And His disciples were hungry, and began to pluck heads of grain and to eat. 2 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath!”
    3 But He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him: 4 how he entered the house of God and ate the showbread which was not lawful for him to eat, nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests? 5 Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless? 6 Yet I say to you that in this place there is One greater than the temple. 7 But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless. 8 For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Healing on the Sabbath

9 Now when He had departed from there, He went into their synagogue. 10 And behold, there was a man who had a withered hand. And they asked Him, saying, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”—that they might accuse Him.
    11 Then He said to them, “What man is there among you who has one sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not lay hold of it and lift it out? 12 Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.” 13 Then He said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and it was restored as whole as the other. 14 Then the Pharisees went out and plotted against Him, how they might destroy Him.

Behold, My Servant

15 But when Jesus knew it, He withdrew from there. And great multitudes followed Him, and He healed them all. 16 Yet He warned them not to make Him known, 17 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying:
    18 “ Behold! My Servant whom I have chosen,
    My Beloved in whom My soul is well pleased!
    I will put My Spirit upon Him,
    And He will declare justice to the Gentiles.
    19 He will not quarrel nor cry out,
    Nor will anyone hear His voice in the streets.
    20 A bruised reed He will not break,
    And smoking flax He will not quench,
    Till He sends forth justice to victory;
    21 And in His name Gentiles will trust.”

Luke 6:1-11

Jesus Is Lord of the Sabbath

1 Now it happened on the second Sabbath after the first[a] that He went through the grainfields. And His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate them, rubbing them in their hands. 2 And some of the Pharisees said to them, “Why are you doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath?”
    3 But Jesus answering them said, “Have you not even read this, what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him: 4 how he went into the house of God, took and ate the showbread, and also gave some to those with him, which is not lawful for any but the priests to eat?” 5 And He said to them, “The Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

Healing on the Sabbath

6 Now it happened on another Sabbath, also, that He entered the synagogue and taught. And a man was there whose right hand was withered. 7 So the scribes and Pharisees watched Him closely, whether He would heal on the Sabbath, that they might find an accusation against Him. 8 But He knew their thoughts, and said to the man who had the withered hand, “Arise and stand here.” And he arose and stood. 9 Then Jesus said to them, “I will ask you one thing: Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy?” 10 And when He had looked around at them all, He said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And he did so, and his hand was restored as whole as the other. 11 But they were filled with rage, and discussed with one another what they might do to Jesus.

Luke 14:1-6

A Man with Dropsy Healed on the Sabbath

1 Now it happened, as He went into the house of one of the rulers of the Pharisees to eat bread on the Sabbath, that they watched Him closely. 2 And behold, there was a certain man before Him who had dropsy. 3 And Jesus, answering, spoke to the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”
    4 But they kept silent. And He took him and healed him, and let him go. 5 Then He answered them, saying, “Which of you, having a donkey or an ox that has fallen into a pit, will not immediately pull him out on the Sabbath day?” 6 And they could not answer Him regarding these things.

funny: they told the healed infirm it is not lawful to carry his bed

John 5:5-15

5 Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, “Do you want to be made well?” 7 The sick man answered Him, “Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me.”
    8 Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.” 9 And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed, and walked.
    And that day was the Sabbath. 10 The Jews therefore said to him who was cured, “It is the Sabbath; it is not lawful for you to carry your bed.” 11 He answered them, “He who made me well said to me, ‘Take up your bed and walk.’”
    12 Then they asked him, “Who is the Man who said to you, ‘Take up your bed and walk’?” 13 But the one who was healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, a multitude being in that place. 14 Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, “See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you.” 15 The man departed and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well.

a conclusions in the following verses:

Mark 2:27-28

27 And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. 28 Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

I think it is a kind of work even to speak, eat or drink; you have to be literally totally relaxed in bed and not stand up or move at all from sunrise to sunset in the sabbath day to follow the law to the very letter.. but the sabbath was put to give ppl the chance to find some time to worship God, learning the scriptures and making good deeds for their very own benefit - otherwise they would not find the time - but because of human ways of thinking and behavior this was twisted, added to and was no more the right spiritual teaching.

John 7:22-24
    21 Jesus answered and said to them, “I did one work, and you all marvel. 22 Moses therefore gave you circumcision (not that it is from Moses, but from the fathers), and you circumcise a man on the Sabbath. 23 If a man receives circumcision on the Sabbath, so that the law of Moses should not be broken, are you angry with Me because I made a man completely well on the Sabbath? 24 Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

The Lord of the Sabbath does miracles, saves many and teaches without rest on that day, likewise on every day of the week. He rested from creating, but He never stopped working.

The Manhood of our Lord of the Sabbath rose from the dead early sunday, making it a more Holy day than the Sabbath. It is the new Covenant. Every day is now considered Holy, and we should remember the Lord every minute.

Psalm 118:21-24
    21 I will praise You,
    For You have answered me,
    And have become my salvation.
    22 The stone which the builders rejected
    Has become the chief cornerstone.
    23 This was the LORD’s doing;
    It is marvelous in our eyes.
    24 This is the day the LORD has made;
    We will rejoice and be glad in it.

About the shop: if you think you want, can or need to spare a day for doing good deeds, praying, going to church and reading the Bible then do go ahead. It would be great if you (and any of us) would make it a generalized attitude to almost every day of the week, but God did command to work in order to eat, so it is ok to work everyday and to salt the days with good deeds and prayers.

Dedicating one day to the Lord is essentially for our spiritual benefit, our peace and our salvation. Suppose also you would give away sweets to children or foodstuff to the poor on that day, after church I mean (worship plus good deeds).

I believe no one should cheat clients any day ;D

God bless you.
  • Thanks for your long reply
  • If the sabbath was made for man and not man for the sabbath then why did God have people punished with death for breaking the sabbath?