The Eucharist and Menstruation

edited September 2006 in Faith Issues
Why can't the Church commune females during thir period of menstruation?

Comments

• His Grace Bishop Youssef says concerning this issue:

The Second Canon of St. Dionysius, the thirteenth Archbishop of Alexandria, and student of Origen who lived, in the mid-third Century states:

“Concerning menstrous women, whether they ought to enter the temple of God while in such a state, I think it superfluous even to put the question. For I opine, not even they themselves, being faithful and pious, would dare when in this state either to approach the Holy Table or to touch the body and blood of Christ.”

To support his opinion, Dionysus refers to the New Testament, “For even the woman who had the 12-year discharge and was eager for a cure touched not him but only his fringe.” And finally, rooting the purity law in ancient Jewish tradition, he explicitly conflates Christian altar space with Temple space, stating that anyone “who is not completely pure in both soul and body shall be prevented from approaching the holy and the holy of holies.”

It is important that the holiness of the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ be kept within us after the Holy Communion. A person bleeding for any reason either due to a physical illness, menstruation or a cut should not partake of the Holy Communion. In such cases we consider them as non-fasting and not unclean.

• so if you did... it would be counted as a sin???
  • yes unfortunately it is a sin if that happens and u would have to confess it :-[ Also i hear that u shouldnt confess if u have ur period, im not sure if that is correct or not but thats wat i heard
  • o...gosh....confessing it...that would be sooooo horrible!! :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[.......anyways...ok so unclean/unpure...but WHY????? and one more thing...how come the words are changed?...like i worded the question a little differently....
  • umm i dont get it ? how is it impure if its just a normal bodily function ? isn't just because you should keep Holy Communion inside you .. ?

I heard that its even okaiie as long as you burn the discharge .. ? comments ?
  • i heard that u cant have communion becuase when u menstrute the holy blood will also menstruate i dont kno how to say it but try to figure it out lol
  • ummmm maybe....but anything that goes thru your body....comes out either way!! guy or girl...right? wrong? i dont get it...and like what if ur at the very end? like can u take communion?
  • yh.. answers people ??
  • well.... copticcross3

the communion part is ture, and yes whatever u eat/drink comes out either way boy/girl! but not the holy blood and body! cuz it lives with in us, it makes us alive ( not by breatihng) by peaceful inner peace! and inner love towards god! if u hear abona when he is getting read to do communion.... he say " ture blood for those who are taking communion" "damoon hakiki leman yatanawel menaho" and he says the same thing for the body "true body for whoever is taking communion" gasodan hakiki leman yetanaweal menho"
    and before we take communion, we bow down about 3x, it is because the holy spirit is present and coming down on the holy blood and communion!
    so the holy blood and communion is not regular food for it to come back out! it lives within us!
    the wine and the bread we eat during the mass it true does turn into a holy body and a holy blood of our beloved!!

so about menstruation..... ( i apologize i don't want to gross any-body out!) WARNING: if you are a guy DO NOT read this!

sometimes with some females, during menstration there is alot blood! and they are red blood cells!! and ofcourse if jennifer is using a pad or a tampon, ofcourse she is gonna through it way! so what happens when jennifer is on her menstruation and she go take communion??? the holy blood will of course gets mixed up with hers and it will be not just her blood that is menstruating but also our beloved!
    back then in the old-testment: women we considered unholy and unpure if they have it or even if they were pregnant! they weren't supposed to go to the temple!! and they were considered unholy and unpure!!

and copticcross3 if your abona is married, i am sure you can talk to his wife and ask her about it..!! she will be more than welcome to asnwer you! or if he has any daughters old enough! they will answer ur quetion! if you are still not understanding!

u can PM me if u have questions!
    bentBABAyasooa`
  • and r u tellin me dat if ur sick n bleeding u cant have holy communion b4 u die

dunno, but what i know is that i'm not brave enough to ask my abouna

and bleeding due to a cut or physical illness apart from the period , i think this would be really mean if people who are bleeding for other reasons cant have communion as well, it's like some ppl have illnesses which makes them bleed till they die so won't they get communion?

people who are going to have an operation they will DIFINITELY BLEED but they do go and have communion lest they pass away god forbids..

i also don't like such things especially because little sunday school kids whom i kinda teach hymns come every week and stand with me in the queue to take communion and i had a smart girl coming and asking me several times why am i not having communion, so i told her i ate in the morning lol regardless of the lie i don't like that canon..
  • i had a smart girl coming and asking me several times why am i not having communion, so i told her i ate in the morning lol regardless of the lie i don't like that canon..

hahahahaa............ sorry! that is soo funny!!

for ppl who bleed cuz of an injury! i am sure their wound won't bleed 24/7 if it is closed and the person had proper medial attention!! so they are ok to take communion!!

but for ppl who do operations, that is ok as well! cuz no one knows if they are gonna live or die! so they take it for inner peace and assurence!! and how knows the communion might be a big help and make a miracle!!

kerestina, it is different for a female that is on her period than a person who is sick/bleeding to death! the female is gonna through wht ever she is using for her menstruation away! but for the sick... i heard that abona go and give them communion at home/hospital! and i have also heard that my abona went to somebody who had an operation done and gave him communion!! so that person with the operation.... they draw blood out for tests and stuff.... and no one knows if the operatoin had effect or not! untill he/she recovers!!

bentBABAyasooa`

• Are girls allowed to take communion if they have discharge? Yes, right? . . . because there's no blood involved.

And, if someone has a small cut, they can take communion, right?

I also heard that boys aren't allowed to take communion when they have secretions. Is that true?
  • i don't understand what ur asking god's kid

• [quote author=Gods kid link=board=1;threadid=4421;start=0#msg61033 date=1158714378]
    I also heard that boys aren't allowed to take communion when they have secretions. Is that true?

This is true. Atleast 24hours have to pass before he would be admitted to Holy Communion.
  • hahahahaa............ sorry! that is soo funny!!

lol tell me if u have a better suggestion as an excuse!
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=board=1;threadid=4421;start=0#msg60947 date=1158547470]
    His Grace Bishop Youssef says concerning this issue:

In such cases we consider them as non-fasting and not unclean.

How is it considered non-fasting if you didn't eat?

I don't think anyone has answered these yet:
    Are girls allowed to take communion if they have discharge? And, if someone has a small cut, can they take communion?

And copticcross3, secretions are fluids that come out of males.
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=board=1;threadid=4421;start=0#msg61010 date=1158686397]

people who are going to have an operation they will DIFINITELY BLEED but they do go and have communion

I have a story about this.. I'm not sure if its relevant to the overall topic but Im going to say it any way

In my relatively short life I have had a number of operations and thanks be to God there have been no major catastrophes or major incidents in theatre..... except....In my lastest operation

On this particular occasion I had recievd communion in the morning and the operation was for midday.

When I was waking up for the anaesthetic the doctors where waiting anxiously for me to wake up. When they saw me recover well they explained that during the operation my blood pressure dropped dangerously low and they could not find out why.

Pondering over their words I was thinking why would this happen on this particular operation especially as this wasnt the most major one ive had. Then I realised that that I had communion. Maybe God did not want His precious sacrament to be spilt so dropped the bloodpressure to reduce bleeding. Glory be to Him
  • I don't think anyone has answered these yet:
    Are girls allowed to take communion if they have discharge? And, if someone has a small cut, can they take communion?

if youstina has a small cut, then i am sure that youstina is gonna get first Aid attention to cover it, and it will stop bleeding! so that is ok for communion!
    one time i had a small cut around my finger nail, and was bleeding a couple of mins before communion! and i pressed on it soo hard and that made it stop a little, and when i took communion it completely stoped!!!

what do u mean if a gurl has a discharge??? like she is mentaly retarted?? physicaly retarted??? a discharge in a body means more than one thing!! so plz explain so i can answer ur question! ;)

bentBABAyasooa`
  • if u mean a discharge as in a menstratoin then NO NO NO NO!

big NO NO!!

• lol estany dont no no till we know what she's talking about loool
  • wat does discharge mean :-[
  • that's the point, it has loads of meanings n we dont know what was meant..
  • discharge, as in the clear stuff that comes out.

Hiz Child, I'm a girl too.

about the cut, so if it doesn't bleed anymore after communion, you don't have to confess it, right?
  • i dont think that discharge is counted cos it kinda comes out all the time so that'd mean no communion
  • noo...ur wrong there mnc-hnn

discharge happen all the time, even if ur out for a run!
    if it is hott a discharge happen
    if ur wearing tight pants it happens!!

U CAN TAKE COMMUNION DURING DISCHARGE!! it is not a sin, cuz there is no blood!!

about a cut, if u got medical attention already then it is ok,
    if not and it is a big cut then no no no no.... medium size no no no no..., small one and i mean tiny then it is ok!!

thankx for explaining wht a discharge was! like soo many ppl said discharge means more than one thing!!

bentBABAyasooa`
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=board=1;threadid=4421;start=15#msg61112 date=1158935374]
    lol estany dont no no till we know what she's talking about loool

mashy ya seat monica!
    :'( ya gelsaa!!

ur not my friend anymore!!!

hahahaha.....!!
    i hope u will c-u later mnc_hnn!!

bentBABAyasooa`
  • hey, the holy blood is gods blood, and when you have your peroid that its also dirty/unpure blood, we u have youir peroid it is consider a sint ohave communion b/c if u have a cut on the day of u got communion, u r supposed to lick it. when u have ur peroid, u are bleding a lot so...u should not hve coomunion. u do not want the holy blood to ocomem out of ur body :)
    ~cgfe~
  • ;)

ana swoti raah trying to say that!!

but good job in putting that way!!
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=board=1;threadid=4421;start=0#msg60947 date=1158547470]
    His Grace Bishop Youssef says concerning this issue:

The Second Canon of St. Dionysius, the thirteenth Archbishop of Alexandria, and student of Origen who lived, in the mid-third Century states:

“ A person bleeding for any reason either due to a physical illness, menstruation or a cut should not partake of the Holy Communion. In such cases we consider them as non-fasting and not unclean.

I still don't get how it is considered non-fasting if you didn't eat.
  • Hiz Child, I'm a girl too

LOL oops .. yur name didnt give it away .. sowiie ;D