Video Games

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Hi Everyone, its been a while since ive last discussed or started a topic. Well, ive decided to start a topic about Computer games, console games or any game in general which only requires you to sit down and move your thumbs.

Anyway, the main question is this: When you purchase a video game (Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, etc.), do you consider the ratings on the games? To make it clearer, do you avoid buying a game simply because its for mature audiences or because its against your ethics/morals? Also consider if your parents or christianity affects these choices...

I'd like everyone to answer or give their opinion. I for one avoided to purchase any games that were offensive or had harmful material, but i did buy games that had violence (nothing with too much blood or gore though).

I remember a couple of years back that everyone in my grade attempted to purchase the GTA series of games, but i refused to even consider them because they were far too offensive. I stuck to buying simpler or more intriguing games such as mythical RPGs. But that was just me. Im wondering if the same psychology exists within todays society (Such as people always buying the highly violent, high use of coarse language games)?

Also, id like to ask if we as Christians should only buy games from certain genres such as sport or puzzles (I'll get alot of replies for that one ;D)?

God Bless...(and awaiting answers)...

Comments

• What is this people, no replies?

i'm upset.... :-[ and :'(
  • umm well coptic dragon...

personally speeking, ratings are not considered when buying video games for my brothers...

HOWEVER... there were scense in this specific video game that is by no means suitable for children or teenagers for that case....

HOWEVER, some rating are absolutely RIDICULOUS...there is this bike game that is RATED M..pretty much becuase when he falls down, we see him land striaght flat on the floor...

PERSONALLY i dont think u hae to be above 15 YEARSSSSSSSSSS old..to see THAT!!

so i come to my conclusion... make ur mind up on the spot..but the ratings INTO CONSIDERATION but i dont think PREVENTING ur self to try out a specific game is a bit extreame...

once again..this is just my insight on this issue
  • Coptic dragon,
    i for one have about 15 games all in a wide variety
    i have a world war 2 game and i have adventure games and i have racing and some my mom is ok about some she plays with me but really i comes down to what u think is right. i hate gta. its mindless and pointless. its gets extremely boring but my ww2 game is realistic so i would think it would be more justified because its based on real facts

just commenting :)
  • Thanks guys, any more opinions?
  • Guys what about fighting games, eg Tekken, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, etc? Are there certain fighing games you would avoid, or would you just buy the game because of its 'good' reputation?

Any more wise advise or opinions you guys can contribute to? It would be highly appreciated to get feedback since i dont often get the chance to discuss such topics between my friends. Most pass off these sort of considerations when buying a game.
  • Well I'm not too sure really, I occasionally play fighting games that you mentioned like Tekken, Soul Calibur etc, I mainly play it because I enjoy the challenge of trying to win against another person - provided you don't play for the violence, and it doesn't consume all your time, I don't see what the problem is.
  • hey
    ostaz coptic dragon!

here is what video games mean to doctors k?!

it stress you, and makes you tense and on the edge cuz you can't make it to the next level! so you become tense! and it worries you!
    and it completely misses up with your nerve system!
    my little brother is infront of his PS2 24/7 and he is becoming skinner and tense and more stressed about a "GAME" and he eats nothing drinks nothing! just leave him alone infront of the T.V.

so watch out!
    instead you control the "GAME", the Game will control you!
    BE-CAREFUL!

GBWU

ur sis in faith
    bentBABAyasooa`
  • here is what video games mean to doctors k?!

it stress you, and makes you tense and on the edge cuz you can't make it to the next level! so you become tense! and it worries you!
    and it completely misses up with your nerve system!
    my little brother is infront of his PS2 24/7 and he is becoming skinner and tense and more stressed about a "GAME" and he eats nothing drinks nothing! just leave him alone infront of the T.V.

What kind of games does your brother play? Because thats pretty dangerous. You know, stressing out usually occurs to people who are constantly addicted. If you can stop the addiction (mainly by preventing them from playing for a long period of time), they will eventually calm down. Oh yeah, the meaning of video games just doesnt mean that to only doctors...

If theyre trying to beat the game but cant, then they should use cheatcodes or walkthroughs. For fighing or sports games, you can change the difficulty setting. The point of a game is to enjoy it, not stress out. Seriously, ive played alot of games and the only reason i stress out is because people disturb me during a critical point in the game where it takes alot of time to complete. For example, if im 'versing' a boss and someone gets in the way of the scream, then i die or something else like that, id be infuriated. I guess that can be excusable. But to tense out to the extent where someone would leave food behind, Oh God help us all! Youd have to do something.

Anyway, i rarely play games anymore, with my HSC and all, so i dont worry to much...
  • For example, if im 'versing' a boss and someone gets in the way of the scream, then i die or something else like that, id be infuriated

Pardon my spelling, it was supposed to say 'gets in the way of the screen'... :P
  • Strictly speaking, I would say that video games are bad from a Christian point of view, just like non-religious TV-shows, movies, magazines and books, since they don't actually serve any purpose other than distract you from your true goal, the aquisition of the Holy Spirit.

Except for wasting time (and possibly improving your hand/eye coordination), I can't really see anything constructive in the majority of video games.

I'm not saying its a sin to play them, just like I don't think its a sin to go to the cinema, but when you consider the fact that our goal is to draw closer to God, I can't see where video games come in.
  • Except for wasting time (and possibly improving your hand/eye coordination), I can't really see anything constructive in the majority of video games.

Would you consider improvement in english (minus the swearing) and storyline inspiration consrtuctive as well? They seem pretty important i guess...
    Personally, i research alot of the games i play and i find that they have alot of contextual value. These games that i talk about are mainly RPGs, and so they can have very good storylines which can be just as good as a novel. The only difference is that its interactive...
  • [quote author=Coptic Dragon link=board=13;threadid=4286;start=0#msg60124 date=1157191080]
    Would you consider improvement in english (minus the swearing) and storyline inspiration consrtuctive as well? They seem pretty important i guess...
    Personally, i research alot of the games i play and i find that they have alot of contextual value. These games that i talk about are mainly RPGs, and so they can have very good storylines which can be just as good as a novel. The only difference is that its interactive...

Of course there are games that are of value. Strategy games like Sim City are great for many reasons.

I think the litmus test for games, and anything else for that matter, is whether or not you can make the sign of the Cross/pray whilst doing something.

For example, if I'm reading a newspaper I would have no problem making the sign of the Cross whilst reading articles on current affairs, but I would not feel comfortable doing so if the article was about which celebrity cheated on who, or some other useless gossip. That tells me that its OK to read current affairs, but to stay away from gossipy articles about celebrities (not that I would read those anyways).

Same thing goes for games I think.
  • I guess doing the sign of the cross is a pretty good 'litmus' test. I guess it all depends on the composition of the game that will determine if its good or not.

Thanks Orthodox11
  • hey

yeah.....i completly agree on wht u said coptic dragon! but since my little brother is the youngest my parents SPOIL him much much much!
    but that spoiling has limits and so far he hasn't crossed them! now he is only supposed to play on weekends!
    cuz of school!

good luck in you high school!

hope you graduate soon! and go out to the real world!

pray for me cuz since my uncle died i can NOT focus on my college work!
    GBWU
    ur sis in faith
    bentBABAyasooa`
  • Hey,

Before I begin, I must confess that I am very prejudice about computer games, I absolutely LOVE them ;D

Video games are a form of entertainment, and should be thought of that way when people object to violent games. I can't help but see some people (I'm not talking about people on this forum) who won't object to their kids watching action movies, but become extremely touchy about games containing violence.

The undeniable truth is that no one watches action (or war) movies for because they like the scenery, or play violent games because they like pretty graphics. We play it because we want to role-play soldiers (Battlefield 1942, Call of duty 2), policemen or criminals (Grand theft auto series). Simply put, we want part of the action!

The main problem with violent movies and games is that young children do not differentiate between what they watch and what they do, so I truly believe in the ratings system, which everyone should adhere to. As an adult or an older teen (15 +), you start to differentiate, and hence these forms of entertainment become more appropriate.

From a purely religious point of view (what Orthodox11 is talking about) , the time spent on movies and games is better spent reading the Bible, praying and learning hymns. Not everyone is on the same spiritual level that is why some people pray more than others!. What's important is that we (I am speaking as a hypocrite) should not let games and movies (you can add music here too) erode our time dedicated to God. Moreover, we should strife for increase prayer time and decrease entertainment time.
    [glow=red,2,300]Easier said than done![/glow]

bentBABAyasooa`, you sound like my family, they say the same thing about games stressing you etc. Are you sure we’re not related? ---{Just a joke}---
    Games stimulate your adrenalin, and too much adrenalin can cause health issues, also sitting for too ling in front of a screen without breaks, stretches and regular exercise is also unhealthy. Moderation in everything is good. So games aren’t bad >:( their misuse is.

Told you I was passionate about games.

Peace,

His son

P.s. I would never, under any circumstances recommend games with sexual content, better to keep your purity than to lose it for silly reasons!