St Mary's Fast?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,

Im just wondering if anyone could tell me when St Mary's Fast starts and ends, and whether we are allowed to eat fish in it?

Rabana maak,

Matt

Comments

• umm it starts on the 7th and finished 21st of august AND YESSS WE CQAN EAT FISH..yay..

by birhtday is on the 12th!!
  • [quote author=why link=board=4;threadid=4181;start=0#msg58033 date=1153738802]
    umm it starts on the 7th and finished 21st of august AND YESSS WE CQAN EAT FISH..yay..

by birhtday is on the 12th!!

well, there are some people that make this special and not eat fish and somtimes just eat foods that are made with oil. it's just that saint Mary is our highest intercesser (my favorite saint)in heaven that the church give exception for people to fast the way they want so the can win her prayers.

btw:

The "Nahda" will be broadcasted here on Tasbeha.org starting from the second week of the fast from St. Mark's Church of Jersey City. Soon the schedul of speakers will be posted here on the main site for the chruch.
  • Sure thing, thank you so much for your help Marina and Minagir!!!!!!!!!

Im surprised its only for 2 weeks considering how tremendously important our Mother is!!

Again thanks.

Rabana Maak,

Matt
  • Then again, we have to remember that it's quality, not quantity.

Sleepy
  • hi

well this is the time that the disciples spent fasting and praying in order that they may see the vision of St Mary being taken up to heaven as one of their fellow disciples did.

Kristina123
  • yes as mina stated...ur allowed by the church to eat fish but many prefer not to..and some prefer not to eat anything all day and then eat salt and bread before they ate..God rest her soul... :-[
  • [quote author=matt88 link=board=4;threadid=4181;start=0#msg58031 date=1153738526]
    Hi,

Im just wondering if anyone could tell me when St Mary's Fast starts and ends, and whether we are allowed to eat fish in it?

Rabana maak,

Matt

I'm not sure about Coptic practice, but in the Eastern Orthodox Church this two-week fast is strict, like in Lent - so no fish. The only day you can have fish is on the Feast of the Transfiguration, which takes place during the fast. But the COC might have different rules on this.