i haven't start one before
i don't know where to begin
i'm stressing out...
where in the bible to start what book to start with first
what's the amount of reading to begin with
i'm waiting for your reply
hope to hear from you soon

Comments

• [quote author=donia_kiwi link=board=13;threadid=4135;start=0#msg57607 date=1152788870]
    +
    hi
    i'm new
    i need help
    i'm about to start my spiritual life?
    i haven't start one before

Your spiritual life is your life. You started it the day you were born.

i don't know where to begin
    i'm stressing out...

Have you been baptised?

If you have not been baptised, that would be the place to start. Find an Orthodox Church near you and speak to a priest there. He will be able to tell you what you need to do before you can be baptised.

Even if you have been baptised, I still recommend the first thing you do is talk to a priest, who can give you some guidance.

where in the bible to start what book to start with first
    what's the amount of reading to begin with

The best ones to start with are probably Gospels of Matthew and Luke. You should also read through the first few chapters of Genesis since they describe the fall of man and 'set the scene' for what the Gospels are talking about.

How much really depends on you. How fast you read, how long you can concentrate for, how much you normally remember from what you read.

You should also begin to pray, atleast twice per day - in the morning and evening. Don't do anything big to start off with if you've never prayed before - 10-15mins for each perhaps.

You should start these prayers with the words "In the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, One God, Amen."

The prayers you should include are:
    The Lord's Prayer:
    Our Father Who art in heaven; hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. Amen.

The Creed:
    We believe in one God, God the Father, the Almighty, Who created heaven and earth, and all things, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Only-Begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages; Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten not created, of one essence with the Father, by Whom all things were made; Who for us, men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnated of the Holy Spirit and of the Virgin Mary, and became man. And He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, suffered and was buried. And on the third day He rose from the dead, according to the Scriptures, and ascended into the heavens; and sat at the right hand of His Father, and also He is coming again in His glory to judge the living and the dead, whose kingdom has no end.

Yes, we believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Life-Giver, Who proceeds from the Father, Who, with the Father and the Son, is worshipped and glorified, Who spoke in the prophets. And in one holy, catholic and apostolic church. We confess one baptism for the remission of sins.

Psalm 50 (51) is also very good:
    Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy great mercy; and according to the multitude of thy compassions blot out my transgression. Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I am conscious of mine iniquity; and my sin is continually before me. Against thee only have I sinned, and done evil before thee: that thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged. For, behold, I was conceived in iniquities, and in sins did my mother conceive me. For, behold, thou lovest truth: thou hast manifested to me the secret and hidden things of thy wisdom. Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be purified: thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow. Thou shalt cause me to hear gladness and joy: the afflicted bones shall rejoice. Turn away thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit in my inward parts. Cast me not away from thy presence; and remove not thy holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of thy salvation: establish me with thy directing Spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and ungodly men shall turn to thee. Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God, the God of my salvation: and my tongue shall joyfully declare thy righteousness. O Lord, thou shalt open my lips; and my mouth shall declare thy praise. For if thou desiredst sacrifice, I would have given it: thou wilt not take pleasure in whole-burnt-offerings. Sacrifice to God is a broken spirit: a broken and humbled heart God will not despise. Do good, O Lord, to Sion in thy good pleasure; and let the walls of Jerusalem be built. Then shalt thou be pleased with a sacrifice of righteousness, offering, and whole-burnt-sacrifices: then shall they offer calves upon thine altar.

Hope this helps
  • i just want to thank you for replying to me
    it was very nice of you listing for me what to do?
    i have looked over the Gospel of St.Luke
    every chapter seem to long to read
    you know how every paragraph has title what if i read one paragraph per day
    what do you think?
    any Suggestion :-\
    i have quick question do i just go through the paragraph, read it and that it.
    what i do after that?
  • The Gospel of St.Luke, side-titled
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=49&chapter=1&version=50

TOC page for the whole Bible (all books side-titled)
    http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/index.php?action=getVersionInfo&vid=50&lang=2

Choose a suitable free time and read it after this small prayer: Lord help me understand Your Holy Word. Amen.
    Take a little moment of silence after reading, then think only about what you have just read for a few minutes. God will gently guide you more and more every time.

GBU
  • check out this new site, theres lots of great resources:

http://www.orthodoxsermons.org/

i think its perfect for you. theres even categories for those just starting their spiritual life and if you want to learn about many other things.
  • Reading even a verse a day is good, as long as you benefit from it, so a paragraph is ok too. also, you have to make sure that you get the message of that one paragraph, not just read it and close the bible and thats it. it pointless if you do that.
  • [quote author=donia_kiwi link=board=13;threadid=4135;start=0#msg57609 date=1152791685]
    what do you think?

Reading a paragraph per day is fine. Its up to you how much you feel you are able to read.

what i do after that?

Well, before you start reading, pray. Ask that you will be given understanding of what is being said.

Read the verse slowly. Its better to read a line slowly and with concentration than it is to read a page quickly without paying attention.

After you have read a section, try to think about what it means. It would be good if you can get hold of a commentary of the Bible, that explains the meaning from an Orthodox point of view.

The Orthodox New Testament, by Holy Apostles Convent, is probably the best, and has a lot of notes taken from the Church Fathers explaning the meaning of the Bible. Also it is the only Orthodox translation of the New Testament into English, and so its better to read that one than the others.
    http://www.holyapostlesconvent.org/hac-products.shtml

However, since you seem to be quite new to the whole Bible thing, it might be better for you to get the Orthodox Study Bible. It uses a Protestant translation (NKJV) and the notes are not as good, and not as extensive, but they are easier to understand.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0840783914/qid=1152816323/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-2911240-2007950?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
  • [quote author=donia_kiwi link=board=13;threadid=4135;start=0#msg57609 date=1152791685]
    i just want to thank you for replying to me
    it was very nice of you listing for me what to do?
    what do you think?
    what i do after that?

i personally find Bibles with alot ofSub-headings more enjoyable to read..im not sure about you but it breaks down the chapter into 'stories'

and may i add in...also..to add to my PM to you..

a bible is not determined by time or chapters..so you cannot say 3 chapters but it is when you think that you have read enough for this or that day..

and as i mention to you before..

i can read the WHOLE bible and not benefit at all whilst i can read a chapter and BENEFIT from it..and that is the whole purpose of the Bible..to benefit..and not READ it per`sue
  • hey well here i suggest some things.....

1.a father of confeesions.this is very important so u can talk to him and solve all ur problems and sins.

2.commuionion and repeantance?tasbeha?agypaya prayers?these will really help u out.try going to church once a week and attend tasbeha.

3.the bible reading try to read from the beggining and start from the holy book of genesis.this is where we learn the creation of god and all the works adam and eve noah and the ark.this will help and when u read try to take every word inside ur heart and learn on wat the word of god is telling u.

4.also try to have a spirtual friend that talk to u and help u through problems so he/she can bring u closer to the god almighty.

5.when u read the bible and ur agypeya go in ur room and lock the door and focus on wat ur saying.SATAN NEVER EVER GIVES UP!!!fight against him and always pray whenever u get the chance.

hope i helped....

They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.) (Psalm 126:5-6 KJV)
    mary
  • [quote author=Orthodox11

The prayers you should include are:
    The Lord's Prayer:
    Our Father Who art in heaven; hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. Amen.

we say

"...but deliver us from evil throught Jesus Christ our Lord. for thine is the kingdom the power and glovery forever amen."

the ending is different.
  • The part that Kristina added to the Lord's Prayer is very very important. None of the things you have just prayed for can effect without Christ Jesus our Lord.
  • I just want to thanks those who reply to me
    it's very nice of you guys
    it really helped me a lot and i benefit a lot
    so i really appreciate it

• from my point of view if u havnt already... FOC asap... he is the only 1 that wood b able to determine how much prayer, fasting, Bible readings etc u can make... no1 else can make that choice for ya....

gr8 input why... quoted from our Father... Father Bushoy Kamel ;)
  • ummm all you need is a priest, dont take my advice or anyone's advice... for all who gave advice, this is dangerous dont do that... when God tells you to give advices like these, then do it... but He didnt, He gave it to the priests, so the person who asked should go to a priest, for everyone one else... its not your business... thats how the devil plays guys... and he uses us as tools... dont be upset with me... but I wouldve felt guilty if I wouldve just passed by this thread and not said anything...

peace and love
  • the only person that will make it easy on you and tell u what to do is abouna.. just go to him .. he is like God
  • [quote author=one of the many Mina's link=board=13;threadid=4135;start=0#msg58392 date=1154319497]
    the only person that will make it easy on you and tell u what to do is abouna.. just go to him .. he is like God

WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE IS LIKE GOD?
    abouna is a regular person like us?
    the only differences (there is alot) is that he knows more and god gave him spciale blessings?
    OK I'M LOST HELP!!!!!!!!! ???
  • [quote author=one of the many Mina's link=board=13;threadid=4135;start=0#msg58392 date=1154319497]
    the only person that will make it easy on you and tell u what to do is abouna.. just go to him .. he is like God

There is only One God - the Holy Trinity. There is none like Him.
  • he is a represantive for God.. that is y u confess to him becasue is the link between us and God... i hope u understand.. if u got any questions just pm me
  • but didn't jesus dye on the cross to take away the wall between us and god (lama enshak el 7agab) ??? ??? ???
  • I can know more things than abouna... chill with all abouna knows all crap... HE DOES IT THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT... which is God... dont give the glory to the tool... but give it to the builder...
  • superman.... thanks for adding the **** to the sentence lol...