Prom?

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Hey what do you think about Prom? Go or no go? allow your kids or do not allow your kids? I still have like 3 more years until my prom...I think anyone should go if you are in a group and you won't do anything stupid and if you are going to hang out with your friends for like the last time and have a good time...my cousin went to prom and she got married to her date...lol my cousin is Coptic and her husband was Coptic before getting married(HE STILL IS COPTIC) so what's your view on prom?

Comments

• oh lord..prom again, we had a 2 hour talk about this is pre servants last week but i have a question for you..are you 100% sure everything is gonna go just fine? i am sure not..so why go and commit sin? i mean when you see something bad you're destroying the temble of god and same with hearing and blah blah..i am sure you wouldn't do anything bad BUT people ALL aroud you are doing bad stuff..please don't do anything your not sure whats good is gonna happen and whats bad is gonna happen.

GBU
    sandra
  • All I have to say is go to this weblink, it talks about stuff like that!
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=1921

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • lol im not asking for advice...i know what I'm going to do...but I'm asking you would you go to Prom do you think its a go?
  • lol guess what my answer is gonna be after what i just said..na..i don't think am gonna go because..

GBU
    sandra
  • I didn't go to my prom, and I wouldn't allow my kids to go , and if my best friend asked my advice, I would tell her not to go. I never regreted not going. I heard of things that happened to good people that should've happened. In pictures, it didnt look like what people make it out to be. I think this country dramatizes it a bit too much. I wouldn't go even if it's in a group, actually I think that's worse because people influence each other. There is so much I can say on this, but this what I think.
  • we have chruhc prom its prety nice
  • [quote author=cop link=board=13;threadid=3889;start=0#msg54835 date=1147819979]
    we have chruhc prom its prety nice

what's that like? what do you do?
  • I didn't go to my prom, and I wouldn't allow my kids to go , and if my best friend asked my advice, I would tell her not to go. I never regreted not going. I heard of things that happened to good people that should've happened. In pictures, it didnt look like what people make it out to be. I think this country dramatizes it a bit too much. I wouldn't go even if it's in a group, actually I think that's worse because people influence each other. There is so much I can say on this, but this what I think.

I totally agree with Rabi Yaso3 bey7ebeni in all what she said. men emtah kan 3andenah prom w'mish prom. eh el dala3 el mere2 dah???? what in the world is the purpose of going to prom? um.... let's see..... to dance!!!? to socialize?! no. don't even start about the socializing thing... feeh meet alf makan elwa7ed momken y'socialize feeh. prom is not the place for socialization and it's not the ideal, either. at this age, emotions are stronger than one's will. i'm not saying that it's a sin to go to prom or that if you went to prom ur going to a night club. LA2... LA2... LA2!! not at all!! what i'm saying is that you shouldn't expose yourself to a place or a situation that could have even a small chance of temptation or a feeling that is uncalled for.

dah ra2ey.... that's my opinion, brothers and sisters. i'm not in anyway imposing my view on yours. kol wa7ed mostaqel b'ra2yoh. every one is entitled to his own opinion.

salam :)
    Fibo
  • I would never go, at all, I don't care about proms for me there useless really, all you do is go and dance and hangout with your friends, you can do that at weddings-receptions or engagements, usually proms you need a date correct? Well, my family isn't like that, dating is just really not needed!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • i didnt go
  • I agree with you all prom is coming this saturday and almost all of my friends wanted me to go with them but i told them that it was a waist of time. besides they are always on Saturdays and on Saturdays I go to church for aishaiya and elhan lessons and stuff and would never want to miss out on those.
  • amen to that jydeacon, here in auzzie land we call it a formal... i went to 1 alredy i HATED IT!!!! cant express it any more HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATED it lol and i got 1 this yr and agen in a cuple of yrs... im not going this yr but id prob go in a cuple of yrs but seriously its on a fri nyt and i have youth meeting im not missing on youth meeting for a dumb boring pointless formal or prom... no point... ill go look good for God if i really need to...

+FROG+
  • Yea, we have a church prom. It's coming us pretty soon and I think the idea is really neat because you still celebrate the end of high school and have fun with your friends, and at the same time you're in a coptic atmosphere that won't hinder you or your beliefs at all.

Sleepymusician
  • thats pretty cool... but about the real prom, i dont think am going to go when the time comes... its too much to bargain with
  • I just had a bit of an argument with a friend of mine because he didn't go to his prom a week or two ago. In my opinion, it depends on the person, their school, their personal preferences, their friends, and a lot of other factors. I am somebody who LOVES to dance, despite being horribly uncoordinated. I should clarify that I don't like "dirty dancing". I don't do anything sexual or provocative...I'm talking about putting on the classical music, grabbing my friend, and doing a fake version of the tango and acting silly. So for me, prom would be a LOT of fun because it's just a fancier oppertunity for me to be silly.

Also, I have known most of my friends since about 5th grade, and NONE of them dance the way that most teenagers dance, and we all just like being silly. Also, none of us plan on bringing any form of "date" to the prom (even though their parents fully allow them to date, they don't want to). So for me, prom is not anything "filled with defilement and temptation", it's just a fancier version of our eighth grade graduation party.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I could be completely wrong. I've realized from talking with others that there is nothing wrong with not going to your prom. If don't feel comfortable in prom-like situations, or if you just don't enjoy dancing, or if you think you'll be tempted, don't go. It is probably over-rated as an event to begin with (once you move onto university/college, prom and high school probably feel like nothing), however, it still isn't something I personally would like to miss. My school's graduation ceremony is in October of the year after you graduate, because a lot of kids take summer school to boost up their marks and be eligible for their diploma. B/c of it being in October, most kids dont show up to grad, so prom would be the final oppertunity i'd have to see the people who I met and who have inspired me over my high school years.
  • [quote author=Katherine link=board=13;threadid=3889;start=15#msg56331 date=1150317033]
    I am somebody who LOVES to dance, despite being horribly uncoordinated. I should clarify that I don't like "dirty dancing". I don't do anything sexual or provocative...I'm talking about putting on the classical music, grabbing my friend, and doing a fake version of the tango and acting silly. So for me, prom would be a LOT of fun because it's just a fancier oppertunity for me to be silly.

Most proms nowadays don't have clasical music. Instead, they have A LOT of pretty dirty music-you know what I mean when I say this. This may allow you to sin and fall into temptation. Besides, aren't high school proms almost identical to clubs and parties? (excluding nice clothes and things of that sort) If you really think about it, it is not somewhere a faithful Christian should be. We must always remember that we must act Christ-like. The Church strongly opposes going to school proms, and if you think about it, it's not the Christian thing to do. If "you are the light of the world", then why would you hang out in darkness?

Please forgive me and pray for me,

Godhelpme3691
  • Hey Godhelpme3691, where can I get written proof that the church strongly opposes going to prom? Because I believe the church does not have an official stance on going to the prom, just like we do not have an official stance on dating per se
  • no our church doesnt oppose them a priest came to talk to us and he said he went and he thinks we should go but not do wat others do just stay on the side with your mates and have like coke or sumfin and sum dinner and go home thats it i respect that priest alot hes awesome and i believe thats the way it should happen with us copts

+FROG+
  • [quote author=Godhelpme3691 link=board=13;threadid=3889;start=15#msg56343 date=1150334518]

Most proms nowadays don't have clasical music. Instead, they have A LOT of pretty dirty music-you know what I mean when I say this. This may allow you to sin and fall into temptation. Besides, aren't high school proms almost identical to clubs and parties? (excluding nice clothes and things of that sort) If you really think about it, it is not somewhere a faithful Christian should be. We must always remember that we must act Christ-like. The Church strongly opposes going to school proms, and if you think about it, it's not the Christian thing to do. If "you are the light of the world", then why would you hang out in darkness?

Godhelpme3691

Yes, obviously they don't have classical music, but I go to a Catholic school, so from my knowledge the music does have to be at least "Catholic school appropriate". Also, from my knowledge, the church doesn't have a formal stand on prom either.

Also, on behalf of the people who organize prom, I'm offended by the notion that it is like a club. It is about a million times classier than any club because what most people forget is that prom is also a dinner in which people dress up well, and they are very formal. Clubs are trashy, drunken, filthy bars filled with people who are half naked (not that I've been to a club, just to clarify, but I've heard this from others).

Also, you can't just avoid social situations just because you are scared that there is a 0.0000000000000000000001% chance you will "fall into temptation". I know that there are people who go to my church youth group who smoke marijuana, but should I avoid church youth group because there is a small chance they might offer it to me? Should I avoid going to a sports game because they sell beer there? Should you not go to a shopping mall because you might be tempted to steal? It's the same thing with prom. I'm not going to avoid my prom because some girl or guy who I've never met (my school has 2200 students) might dance in a dirty fashion. I'm going to go dress up nicely, eat my dinner with my friends, and do a lame version of the waltz...whether the music in the background is Mozart or not is not my problem. I don't even know how to dance dirtily even if I wanted to (which I don't)

Again, I should probably clarify, I'm not saying that a person should or should not go to prom. Prom is not the end all and be all of your life. It's just a couple of hours at a banquet hall. I'm just saying that it should be up to each person, and a personal decision about whether or not to go because it's not a black and white issue.
  • That was awesome Katherine :)
  • You may want to know that Orthodox priests are not alone in their opposition to the prom. Many protestants who were raised here also feel the same way. Here is an article for you to look at.

http://www.wolfeborobible.com/prom.html

• Most Coptic Orthodox Priests oppose the prom. I have heard many sermons explaining why the prom is something to avoid. One time the priest (Abouna Antonious Tanios) even went a step further and passed out a 3-4 page document explaining why teenagers should avoid the prom. I urge you all to make the Christian decision and not go for it is what is right.

Here is a sermon by H.G. Bishop David on wedding receptions. It is similar to what we are discussing:

http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?s=Sermons%2FBishops%2FH.G._Bishop_David%2F5.Bishop_David_s_Comments_on_Wedding_Receptions_%282003-11-08%29.mp3
  • You can not say Prom is not a "Chrisitian" type thing if you have never gone to prom, how do you know that prom might be better than a Youth outing in some cases. Like Katherine said, some people in her Youth Group smoke marijuana, so you can not judge an event off of rumors.
  • [quote author=Godhelpme3691 link=board=13;threadid=3889;start=15#msg56343 date=1150334518]
    [quote author=Katherine link=board=13;threadid=3889;start=15#msg56331 date=1150317033]
    I am somebody who LOVES to dance, despite being horribly uncoordinated. I should clarify that I don't like "dirty dancing". I don't do anything sexual or provocative...I'm talking about putting on the classical music, grabbing my friend, and doing a fake version of the tango and acting silly. So for me, prom would be a LOT of fun because it's just a fancier oppertunity for me to be silly.

Godhelpme3691

our church odes oppose foinf to proms BEcasue of the DANCING..but becasue of the SINFUL OPPORTUNITIES u might face in such an environment!!

AND U CANT SAY NO THERE WONT BE..becasue OPPORTUNITIES are not always forseen..

BUT remember...A TEMPTATION is always a chance to prove urself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • as frog mentioned earlier, here in australia, we call it a formal. i went to my yr 10, yr 11 and will attend my yr 12 formal. i will admit that i saw things i didnt want to and things ppl didnt expect me 2 c, but as katherine mentioned above (ur post was excellent by the way) just because you attend doesnt mean that you will be provoked. i have been 2 yrs now and i had a great time and i DID NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES behave in an appropriate matter.

would you stop driving just because there is a risk of getting in an accident? ---sum food for thought

• Well put Mazza, and again, If you have strong faith you can avoid these temptations and also, it is not like everywhere you go in the Prom dance you will see temptation, you can hangout with your friends, I'm pretty sure if you are firends with them they are good and they would not be doing anything bad
  • Sorry, I know this is off-topic but people like my post :o :o ;D *clutches heart and pinches self to make sure I'm not dreaming*. Wow, I thought I was going to get ex-communicated or something :P. Thanks for the support. I'm glad to see tasbeha.org is being a little more open-minded. I remember a post I made a while back where I was just attacked for disagreeing with someone, and I was ready to leave the site...but I love it too much, and now I'm glad I didn't leave ;D.
  • yeah i agree with you too Katherine. i dont know why people think prom is like a club or party most of those people said that they didnt go so they wouldnt know if it was like that or not. prom isnt bad, but that night can be bad if someone decides to go to an afterparty then it could get ugly. My bishop had a 3 hour discussion with our church about prom and we never agreed to go or not, it all depended on the person and what they wanted to do so if someone wants to go they should go and if they think its a waste of time, then no ones forcing them to go. im only going to my senior prom.
  • I definitely third that. Everybody thinks prom is just where you hang out for fun when it can get you to Satan. It is kind of like smoking, once you do it, it just goes downhill till you completely quit.
  • I think it would be stuped not to go. I would mainly just go so I could say that I went :).