Kids

edited March 2006 in Random Issues
I just heard the weirdest thing. well in school last week a kid came with a credit card, and people were asking is that real and she said ya. and she's only 12. so i told a friend in church and he said that is bad, and the church is againist it. so i asked why and he never responded. so does anybody know why the church is againist it? and how kids can have credit cards?

Comments

• I disagree with your friend, sorry, we have credit cards when we don't have money handy, but we still pay off the debt that is on our bill, so even kids could have a credit card if they manage it correctly, that means not shopping for everything, but I agree with your friend at the same time, showing off is a big part of money-goers, they like to show off and make people asking their parents for 1 so, they are certain limits you need to set for yourself when you have a credit card! Kids shouldn't have credit cards, it's like getting a car when your 9 years old!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • I disagree with ur friend also, why wuld our church be against it ? it doesnt make sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Coptic Servent, Kids can have credit cards ?? I am 12 going to be 13 April 30 ,god willing and my dad was wondering how if i culd get 1 ? Sorry about getting off topic :-[
  • Ok well i did some research and it's a debit card not a credit card. And u basically get the ammount of money that ure parents put on the card. but i think u guys misunderstood. he said the church was againist kids having credit cards not just having credit cards. and copticcross u just go to the bank with ure mom and dad and say i want a limited debit card for my child. so ure parents put a certain ammount on the card and the ammount comes from their credit card. but i still want to know why is the church againist kids having credit cards? and wow my b-day is april 26 and i'm gonna be 13 too lol

PK
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=board=11;threadid=3390;start=0#msg49542 date=1141880396]
    I disagree with ur friend also, why wuld our church be against it ? it doesnt make sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Coptic Servent, Kids can have credit cards ?? I am 12 going to be 13 April 30 ,god willing and my dad was wondering how if i culd get 1 ? Sorry about getting off topic :-[

I said if they could manage it correctly, but then again if your showing off, and you want to buy one that's just a ridiculous reason for that, you can buy one, but you need to know how to manage it and control it, if it gets out of hand than I think you shouldn't have one, that's just how I think of it as, PopeKyrillos, I'll tell you something we have talked about credit and debit cards in family studies and if you get a debit card it's not bad, the church is not against credit/debit cards it's a way to deal with money!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • You have to be an adult (18 or older) to open an account unless it's with your parents in the bank. Credit and debit card are basically the same "card", but it just depend on the way you use it, then that's how it gets its name, like when you buy something, the cashier asks you whether you want it debit or credit. Unless you are talking about a credit card, when a certain amount is in that card and you have to pay it back later, then in that case, you definetly have to be an adult and your parents can't cosign with you on that one. The church isn't against the credit or even kids having credit cards, that's a false statement from your friends. It depend on the family and your parents who can decide whether or not you should be trusted with it.
    Guys please don't make fals statement about the church and its views without actually asking about it first.
  • i am not trying to jump to conclusions but, did the girl maybe "take it" from her parents or something without them knowing, or maybe they do know. and maybe the church said it is bad because having a credit card can lead to bad stuff. and if she did take it, then that is one of the bad things right there.
  • Why such a big issue about someone with a credit card... ???
  • well i wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it, i was just trying to say why was the church againist it if it was? i didn't really care about how she got it. and no she didn't take it from her parents. it is possible for a kid to have a card.
  • it is possible for a kid to have a card

It's all explained in my previous post. And the church is not against it.
  • I think that kids having credit cards is totally unblelievable because adults use it for their true needs, but kids could just go out and spend this card on something that they will not use like candy, a shopping spree, or a toy. I think, personally, that when parents give kids credit cards, it's like telling them to go out and do whatever they want with their money ON THEIR OWN!! it's like giving a liter of candy to a baby, it's not healthy and its not healthy for kids becuase they will learn to wrongfully use their money a lot, expect to GET lots of money, and be spoiled. This may not happen to lots of people, but I think that the majority of pepole who are involved in this kind of thing, are likely to end up, somehow, being involved in something like that. I think that it's the parent's choice, if they know that their kid can do good with money. And, if they are sure that the kid will be checked upon and they get recent emails of news about the credit card that they gave. I really think that it's not that great if you are that parent who will give their kids something as BIG as a credit card.

That was just my opinion.
  • In my opinion i wouldn't give a child a gredit card because if they are not paying for it they will not learn the responsibility of having one when they are older because mommy and daddy are paying for it. but that is besides the point. U have to be part of a joint credit card program from ur bank and thats why u see young teens and pre-teens with swipes.
  • [quote author=nene0587 link=board=11;threadid=3390;start=0#msg50419 date=1142889157]
    Why would a 12 yr old possibly need a credit card? Al yanni, can they even reach the counter lol..

Whats everything comming to, whats wrong with parents these days.. ive always dreamed of having kids and stuff.. but now im so scared to even think about being a parent because it is sooo hard these days.. and the funny thing is.. its the adults who are making everything hard, changing society norms and such.

And yea, i heard someone who was 16 and had one, it was their name on the card too.. they told me it was signed under their parents names but the childs name is the one thats on the card.. so pointless if you ask me.

I love that NENE lol good sense of humor.I asked abouna he says it's ok for kids to have credit cards as long as the parents moniter every purchase that the kid makes that way if he/she uses is for something bad the parents can take care of it rite away. thanks 4 ure thoughts

POPEKYRILLOS
  • I agree with nene. If you give it to them now, it will get out of control. It's not something you might want them to grow up to have.

love lots,
    CopticChica21
  • Some children on the other hand, know how to control things, and can be trusted, so we can't just judge one particular group, I know a lot of children that can be trusted because those kids I know and can tell me what is wrong, or sometimes even want my advice, other children will take advantage of have a credit/debit card!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • I agree with CopticServent. The only people that would know that would be the parents and they would have to have good judjement to their children and what they allow their children to have and do.

love lots,
    CopticChica21