Why do we cover our mouths adter we eat the Body of Christ?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
see subject title..

Comments

• so that none of the body falls on the ground...
  • Ya, like christ4life said, its so that it doesnt fall out, thats why we use the mandeel, because they arent washed, or thrown out, but if it was just cover by ur hand or not cover at all, there is sure some what would fall and be wasted.
  • As CopticPete and Christ4Life said, so it doesn't fall out, we all know that God's body is so sacred to us, if it fell, we would be very disappointed, but for me, I'm not scared, because I know God will never let that every happen! Also it's sacred and very holy!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • I'm glad sayedna himself, is searching as well, of course everyone is worried themselves, even at baraka!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • I like that, lol, at the same time, any priest or bishop have to pick up any left over body or blood!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • just before u lock it...
    i want to say something grose...

once the baby i was holding to have holy communion...

when it received the body...it sorta...spat a little of the bread...IN HIS SILIVA...or drool..wateva/..

anyway...so abouna had to catch the drool and EAT IT...i was in shock!!! :o :o :o :o :o but i knew he had to do it..but abounas face..one it went in his mouth was one i can neva forget!!
  • ...it is a symbol for the seal on the tomb of Christ, awaiting for the resurrection of Christ in you after the Blood is taken.
  • [quote author=nene0587 link=board=1;threadid=2943;start=0#msg51198 date=1143441069]
    marmar91... how is it 13 days untill Christmas?!?.. yayyyy christmas all over again lol ..jk

God Bless guys ;D

welll.... when she wrote that post it was 13 days till Christmas...
  • Btw, I forgot to mention, that if the blood spills they have to burn the carpet because the blood is so sacred!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • So say someone had the lefafa in there hand and covered their mouth after taking the blood, and the blood landed on the lefafa, do u burn the lefafa as well?
  • [quote author=Of All Nations link=board=1;threadid=2943;start=15#msg51238 date=1143509121]
    So say someone had the lefafa in there hand and covered their mouth after taking the blood, and the blood landed on the lefafa, do u burn the lefafa as well?
    They could do so, or wash the lefafa throughouly in a river or a running stream of water. Such actions are taken to remind the people of how sacred the blood is and make the point, through outer actions, that there is a deeper meaning to the sacrament and make people think beyond the apparent outlook.
  • Ya but sometimes ppl travel with the lefafa to the blood by accident ::)
  • [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=1;threadid=2943;start=15#msg51246 date=1143513850]
    In my church we only use the thing for the Body, not the blood, because your mouth is over the cup when we take it in, you know...

MarMar, I never heard of a church (coptic orthodox church that is) that makes you put the lefafa on your mouth for covering!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • lol..what did you think the lefafa was for?
    Anywhere you take communion (holy body)...you have to put it over your mouth.
  • The deacon must take it before they reach the blood... because back in the days they use to spit it in corporal... and they would do evil with it... Magic... but the corporal as said before is for the body so nothing would drop... and while abouna is giving you the body you should put your hand with the corporal under his hand so if anything falls it would be caught... also the corporal is as mentioned before… the stone which sealed the tomb of our lord… and why do we use a corporal instead of our hands? its because the body and blood are so sacred that even the utensils used to hold them are not touched by the naked hand... except if you are a priest....
  • That is very interesting socoolbishoy, I never knew that before, thank you for sharing!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent