Do not Eat blood?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
"

During confession he would point out the sins people had forgotten or of which they had difficulty repenting. Thus he told one woman about a person who was committing a certain sin. And when Vladyka left, it dawned on this woman that this was her sin. Then she ran after him and weeping asked him for forgiveness. The same woman had the habit of cooking blood and preparing sausages from it. Vladyka said to her:

"You know, I also used to eat blood, and did not repent of it. But then my bishop said to me: 'You know, Grisha, I have to excommunicate you from the Church for seven years.'

"'For what?'

"'For eating blood.'"

And then the woman understood that it was not Grisha who had eaten the blood, but her. And she repented.

"

From
http://www.orthodox.net/russiannm/gennadius-sekach-schema-metropolitan-04-of-06.html

So I should not eat meats with blood.. am I right?

Comments

• well what do mean dont eat blood? yes u won't go drink the blood as you eat gravy on food or ketchup yea? so what exactly is the point? i dont understand ???
  • but what i wanna ask bout is how can u eat meat with blood?

what if omg when u cook meat it's got red in it and it may hv drops of blood on it..
  • Here's a question that I've been wondering about:

If I'm not mistaken, we believe that the soul gives life to the body while the spirit gives life with God and as Leviticus 17:11 says, "For the life of the flesh is in the blood." So then, is it correct in saying, the soul is kept in the blood?
  • I think we should really take this post seriously or else some people might get into fights with their friends and family if they do not want to eat meat with blood..
  • Peace,

This is just my personal opinion, not sure if the Fathers teach anything like this, so don't accept it as anything else.

The way I see it is this: God forbade the eating of blood because "life is in the blood". I believe He did this so that when Jesus came the people would understand Him when He said "He who does not gnaw my flesh and drink my blood has no life in him".

In a like manner the Apostles continued the prohibition of eating blood in order that the importance with which people view blood (and therefore the reverence with which they view the Blood of Christ) would not dissappear.

Now, the same passage also forbids eating meat sacrificed to idols. This is obviously so you don't associate with idolatrous practices. However, St Paul says somewhere that since these idols don't actually exist there's nothing wrong with the meat itself, and that it will not affect a person with a strong faith, to whom it would be permissible.

In the same way, it could be argued that a person with a strong faith and unwavering belief in the Holy Eucharist could eat blood without it being sinful.

But, of course, this must be discussed thoroghly with one's spiritual father lest one falls into pride and declares oneself "strong" enough to eat blood.

Personally I avoid blood and would not eat a rare stake or anything like that, but I do not insist on buying meat from halal or kosher butchers.
  • :(so eatin the chickin in the states is wrong cause u know the chicken even when its veryyyyyyy cooked the bone has red big spots on it and also the meat and i dono why before this topic came i would give those pieces to my dog or i put them in the trash
    :( i dono wat is the cause of those red spot sorry if im off the topic its a concern plz answer it
  • i don hv an idea anyone plz???