Views on dating?

Comments

• Well egprincess, no matter what is said, we all support you 100% in your endeavors.
  • each circumstance determines if dating is right or wrong, in my case it is alright 8)
  • Okay, I'm bored, lets close it again...

CS
  • already CS? we jsut got started ;)
  • Nah, thats cool, these things are much better when they're kept short, sweet and before we start launching projectiles at each other... ;)

CS
  • ok give me a couple of years until i learn how to program those projectiles i am working on it though :D
  • Maybe after what happened last week its a good thing the projectiles aren't ready yet... ::)

CS
  • I love physics!
  • y am i constantly lost? ???
  • In a nutshell...Projectile motion, meaning how things move according to the force applied on them in addition to the force of gravity acting on them, those are things covered in the subject of physics. Along with other much more complex things…
  • I do not agree with dating IF 1) Teenagers are involved- no matter how mature they might seem 2) Just for fun 3) Not with the aim of marriage 4) A first step to knowing a person.
    I AGREE with dating IF 1) Its a second step after knowing the other person within a group 2) University level i.e. person preparing for marriage 3) Confession father and parents know about it 4) Within known and agreed limits

I think anyone who thinks that engagement will stop wrong practices and that dating (in the CORRECT situation and proper climate) supports these wrong pratices is very naive. 2 people may not date and then get engaged to know each other............ can anyone guarentee that nothing wrong will happen???? We can NOT. Dating in itself when approached properly is not wrong; its missuse is wrong

Fady
  • [quote author=DrFMFIssa link=board=1;threadid=22;start=195#msg4446 date=1088011495]
    I do not agree with dating IF 1) Teenagers are involved- no matter how mature they might seem 2) Just for fun 3) Not with the aim of marriage 4) A first step to knowing a person.
    I AGREE with dating IF 1) Its a second step after knowing the other person within a group 2) University level i.e. person preparing for marriage 3) Confession father and parents know about it 4) Within known and agreed limits

I think anyone who thinks that engagement will stop wrong practices and that dating (in the CORRECT situation and proper climate) supports these wrong pratices is very naive. 2 people may not date and then get engaged to know each other............ can anyone guarentee that nothing wrong will happen???? We can NOT. Dating in itself when approached properly is not wrong; its missuse is wrong

Fady

Hi Fady,

I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread, we're talking about physics! ;D j/k

God bless you,

CS
  • i hate physics ;D
  • do not agree with dating IF 1) Teenagers are involved- no matter how mature they might seem 2) Just for fun 3) Not with the aim of marriage 4) A first step to knowing a person.

Hey Fady can you explain point 4 a bit more
  • Fady, I disagree, I think dating is used to know a person more so tyhat u can get engaged to them.

Epsaltos Michael
  • [quote author=DrFMFIssa link=board=1;threadid=22;start=195#msg4446 date=1088011495]

;D
  • oops :-[SORRY! I do agree with you Fady.

LOL

Epsaltos Michael
  • [quote author=Epsaltos Michael link=board=1;threadid=22;start=195#msg4466 date=1088023821]
    Fady, I disagree, I think dating is used to know a person more so tyhat u can get engaged to them.

Epsaltos Michael

sorry, i disagree. maybe im being old fashioned here, but its worked without dating first. i dont approve of dating what so ever.
  • Hi Guys,

I think we're going a bit off the topic this is chemistry not physics!!!

God bless,

CS
  • ha ha?
    was that supposed to be funny?

jk ;D
  • Wasim I meant that I do NOT agree with dating if for example you see someone you like then decide to go on a date. I think its a great idea to get to know this person bit better first through the church i.e. church activities, large group of friends then if you are prepared for engagement/ marriage and you think this might be the preson (also with parents knowledge and father pf confession)- it would be ok to date for a while to finally decide and then go ahead with all formal steps of engagement and marriage. Egyprincess I disagree with you because (as I understand) from what you wrote it implies that a ring (i.e. engagement) will give going out with the person credibility and acceptance from society. It maybe the way in egypt- where I think there is no flexibility whatsoever and illogical. If both person are of the same mentality- I mean aiming to get married whats wrong with dating to make sure because I think engagement is an important step to take................ Personally I must be sure.
  • I promised myself not to get involved with this redundant topic again but what can I do?

Are you all under the impression that an engagement is binding? Do you think that once you get engaged you are obligated to marry the person? This is not the case at all. Engagements are broken off ALL THE TIME. There is NOTHING wrong with that. So your argument is void. You can get to know the person during the engagement and if things don’t work out, break it off. It’s not a huge tribulation, its actually quite normal…

Once again… I’m done!
  • Hi,

This issue you guys are debating is acutally a sicky area, the tradition of engagement, even by the admission of H.G. Bishop Moussa needs to be changed because culturally it isn't appropriate anymore. Its purpose was for when 2 families got together and they wanted their children to see one another the two familes would meet together and they couple would spend time in a familiy environment. The engagement was the intiation of that process so hence the Synod is working on what has to done with it... Its a big problem because while it is supposed to be an informal anouncement to the world, people go overboard and spend a bit on it in between saving for the wedding. This is problematic because people have to save a long time and the saving money has serious spiritual implications. In the history of the church the fathers have found that a couple should only be with one another for 9-12 months before they get married but because of the engagement and saving for a wedding that period is prolonged. H.G. Bishop Angaelos says that is dangerous because they church has seen so many couples that want to go one step further but can't because obviously they bond more and more over time and can end up bonding to much and and end up splitting because they can't function in the relationship anymore and emotions take control. It can be a serious issue so its wise to plan well in advance. ;)

God bless,

CS
  • Put your life in God's hands, and let Him guide you and your steps. It's that simple. If you do that, you will actually be very happy with anythingthat happens in your life, trust me.

Matt
  • There is also that thought that God blesses those who act. We shouldn't expect God to provide a perfect spouse if you refuse every offer that comes your way. I think within marriage, happiness isn't a freebie. You have to work on it, and pray together. You can't expect to have happiness handed to you.
  • [quote author=Michael_Thoma link=board=1;threadid=22;start=195#msg4543 date=1088091774]
    There is also that thought that God blesses those who act. We shouldn't expect God to provide a perfect spouse if you refuse every offer that comes your way. I think within marriage, happiness isn't a freebie. You have to work on it, and pray together. You can't expect to have happiness handed to you.

Exactly.
    Look at the Miracle of Lazarus; The people had to move the stone, whereas Jesus could've moved it Himself EASILY. This just shows us that we must do our part, and then Jesus will take care of the rest.
  • You are right Mark that the engagement is not binding. But we have to ask ourselves- the problems splitting up causes? For some its financially difficult, returning gifts etc. Forget the materialistic side of things- I don't even care about it its an insignificant point. I don't think its emotionally healthy to get engaged tens of times and then break up while in theory looking for the right person. Infact dating has the potential to not stop but minimise this. Its just not logical to go to all that degree just for the sole reason of knowing the other person....... doesn't make sense...... Anyway why should we think that by getting engaged will stop wrong practices????? For the sake of discussion this If anything encourages e.g. the two people may think its ok since they'll be getting married soon. I think you guys think that dating is wrong because the people involved will end up doing something wrong. This is not the case at all if we are wise in our approach. I am not saying lets date left right and centre....... we must be logical and wise. Personally I see the engagement as a positive and v.important step to say to the other person- you are the one I want to share my life with. I don't think dating in itself is wrong if its for the right reasons, but our poor use which I agree can lead to wrong practices. I think there are two extremes....... Egyptian society where you'll get killed :) if you go out with a girl alone and the Western societies where the attitude is too lax about dating. If we can reconcile both parts while at the same time keeping hold of our principles would be a great thing.
  • High Five For YOU!!! Great way of putting it! ;D
  • [quote author=DrFMFIssa link=board=1;threadid=22;start=210#msg4551 date=1088095174]
    You are right Mark that the engagement is not binding. But we have to ask ourselves- the problems splitting up causes? For some its financially difficult, returning gifts etc. Forget the materialistic side of things- I don't even care about it its an insignificant point. I don't think its emotionally healthy to get engaged tens of times and then break up while in theory looking for the right person. Infact dating has the potential to not stop but minimise this. Its just not logical to go to all that degree just for the sole reason of knowing the other person....... doesn't make sense...... Anyway why should we think that by getting engaged will stop wrong practices????? For the sake of discussion this If anything encourages e.g. the two people may think its ok since they'll be getting married soon. I think you guys think that dating is wrong because the people involved will end up doing something wrong. This is not the case at all if we are wise in our approach. I am not saying lets date left right and centre....... we must be logical and wise. Personally I see the engagement as a positive and v.important step to say to the other person- you are the one I want to share my life with. I don't think dating in itself is wrong if its for the right reasons, but our poor use which I agree can lead to wrong practices. I think there are two extremes....... Egyptian society where you'll get killed :) if you go out with a girl alone and the Western societies where the attitude is too lax about dating. If we can reconcile both parts while at the same time keeping hold of our principles would be a great thing.

This opinion is fine but its a making do with the situation, the engagement is very out of place these days and no one knows how to interpret it anymore...

Traditionally there was no sharing of gifts so 2 thing of happened, it first is its original significance has disappeared and the second is that it has become far more formal in the process, in its original for it is a highly informal thing that could be broken at any time so basically its needs to be reworked soon.

God bless,

CS
  • I agree ;D

Fady