Saved!

13»

Comments

• It actually was an E-mail petition. And through the grace of Jesus Christ we banned it.

Epsaltos Michael
  • in which country? it couldn't have been in the US, because the only thing that talks here is $$$
  • It was in many diffrent countries, INCLUDING the us.

Epsaltos Michael
  • Defender... i didn't know about this either.. ???

i haven't seen or heard of this movie but from what you guys are telling me, this is a disgrace. the way i see it: It wouldn't be right if we didn't complain. whether it works or not! but with God's help it will ..

moora
  • Today I saw a magazine article about this movie. The description that they give is, "...a bunch of teens in a catholic high school going through teen pregnancy, divorce, and homosexuality, but they are determined to do it like their pastor told them to. To kick it Jesus style..." How sick...

sleepy
  • Very sick... However, I don’t understand how high school students are “going through… divorce”. ::)
  • Something surely must be done, hey did anyone contact the FCC yet?

Epsaltos Michael
  • As I mentioned earlier, the FCC doesn't have the power to ban this film. In fact, I don't think any arm of the US government can ban this film due to the limits placed by the US Constitution. The best that you can do is take the matter to the private entities involved in the film's screening, like movie theater companies and film distributors. Those parties are all free to act in this matter.

God bless!
  • The movie is sucking anyway as far as I can tell... I know 1 person that saw it... let it disappear
    What I want to see is M. Night Shamylan's The Village and Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11
  • First… the Messages of this movie…
    There are 3 main messages that I got from this movie. They all fit together to make up one super message, but I am going to share them separately so that you can get a better idea of where the writers are coming from.

1) Legalism and Phariseeism makes Christianity unlivable.
    There is constant reference in this movie to the fact that Christian culture’s moral expectations are too tough to be livable. (not the bible’s moral standards, but Christian culture’s) The pressure to be perfect and not screw up is what causes all of the characters in this movie their grief... even the one’s who are a little more together. They have expectations to live up to but no grace when they fail. Sadly, this is the truth in many churches. We say that we are all sinners saved by grace, but we contradict that when we force people to conform to worldly rules and morality and then condemn people who fail. I believe that God desires us to live pure lives, but he also knows that we will fail. God is a God of justice and of mercy. Moral perfectionist and holier than thou attitudes don’t have the power to change hearts. See Colossians 2
    This movie takes a shot at the plastic perfect fantasy land that many christians live in. It's not about being perfect so you don't ruin your testimony, it's about remaining in relationship with Christ.

2) There are lots of gray areas so morals are ambiguous.
    This movie seems to teach that it’s ok to have moral standards but ultimately you can’t really know for sure what is right and wrong… things are too uncertain and there are lots of gray areas that you can’t have answers for. In the movie you can see this play itself out in the way that even the stronger, more “Christian” characters walk things out. They are pretty apathetic, and never take a stand on anything. I disagree with the relativistic conclusions that the writer draws from his observation of gray areas, but I think he makes a good point in saying that we will never have an law or rule for everything. There is always stuff that pops up that we have no answer for. I don’t see anything in the bible that talks about pot, or video games, or movies like Saved. We can proof text our views with scriptures, but that doesn’t mean anything. I can prove to you that it’s immoral to wash your car on Wednesday from the bible if I really wanted to. This movie leans to a bit of a relativistic position but what can you expect from a contemporary Hollywood movie. I don’t agree with it, but I expected it.

3) True Christianity means loving our neighbour.
    I see this as the ultimate message of the film. The whole movie is about how our Pharisaical obsession with judgement and morality contradicts Christ’s command to love our neighbour. Christianity is about love, not about perfection. I understand that loving someone sometimes mean telling them that they have screwed up, but that’s not what I often see happening in the church. We are so concerned with letting people know what is right and what is wrong that we completely forget that we are supposed to be loving people. Conviction of sin is the Holy Spirit’s job. Judgement is the father’s job, Loving our neighbour and loving God is our job.

This whole movie has a thread running through it of people taking moral stands at the expense of common sense love. Instead of loving people who are struggling with sin or doubt, the characters in this movie just hammer them. Mary doesn’t need to get sent to a special Christian home for unwed mothers, she needs her mom to support her and love her. That doesn’t mean that what Mary did is right, but sending her away and denying her support and love is just plain wrong. When I sin I know it. I don’t need someone to point that out to me… I need someone to comfort me and help me get back on my feet again. This is what I feel the movie is really saying.

It is a good thing to have conviction and to speak up about it, but it should never be at the expense of love. What is the greater commandment. Judging your neighbour or loving hiom? Love is the ultimate moral. Jesus summed up the whole law in two commandments based on it. It’s very tough to be loving your neighbour when you are tearing them down and making them feel like crap. The idea that we can change people by pointing out their sin and creating social consequences for it is a huge deception that many of us have bought into. You can not legislate morality. See Colossians 2 again.

Now the lies…

4) Lie #1. Jesus tells Mary to sleep with her gay boyfriend.
    No… Jesus tells Mary that her gay boyfriend needs her help and support. She interprets that to mean that she should sleep with him to help him not be gay. At the end of the movie she confesses that she misunderstood what Jesus wanted. Jesus was asking her to love and support her friend… not sleep with him.

5) Lie #2. Pastor Skip has an affair with Mary’s mom.
    A lot of critics make it seem like Skip sneaks around and cheats on his wife. Wrong!!! Pastor skips wife left him several(?) years earlier and has been begging him for a divorce. She lives in a different country working for a missions organization and they don’t even talk anymore. Pastor Skip refuses to let his wife divorce him because he feels that it is wrong. He is technically still married, but he hasn't been with his wife in a long time. His relationship with Mary’s mom comes about because of all the time they are spending in leadership meetings together. He believes that it is wrong for him to be interested in her, but at the same time he is lonely for some sort of relationship. He never sleeps with her or anything… he just falls for her and feels guilty the whole time. It in no way glorifies adultery or says that it is right it just shows Pastor Skips loneliness and weakness. This is one of those situations that I run into all the time. Is it the legal piece of paper that makes people married and divorced or is it a heart issue?

6) Lie #3. This movie is out to destroy Christianity.
    I don’t think so. I think it is a picture of the hurt that the director has experienced in his life. His is criticizing the inconsistencies that he witnessed during his time as a Christian. This movie is over the top, unfair, critical, and mocking, but it is also brutally honest. I feel that the director has some good stuff to say, he just did a really poor job of saying it. I don’t think this movie will destroy anything… it is too ridiculous to take seriously, but it might be able to break our hearts and get us to change if we let it.
    I see nothing wrong with a director making a movie about the hurt that he experienced. That is honest and fair, and in my opinion, the basis for all good art.

7) Lie #4. This movie is pushing a gay agenda.
    I don’t see it. There is one gay character who is barely in the movie and there isn’t a whole lot of talk about it. It would be more fair to say that this movie is pushing the unwed mother agenda. Yes, the movie, at times, hints at the possibility that homosexuality might be ok, but it doesn’t step right out and say that. It actually doesn’t deal with the morality of homosexuality at all. All it is really saying is that all of us are sinners, so what’s the difference. If we are unloving to homosexuals then we also need to be unloving to liars, druggies, and everyone else in the world. That isn’t what Jesus taught. We give lip service to the idea of loving the sinner but hating the sin, but anyone who thinks most of the church lives that is on drugs. If this movie actually thought that moral absolutes were realistic, it would probably say that it’s ok to have an absolute, but that doesn’t mean that you have the right to treat other like garbage.

• Continued:

8) Lie #5. This movie mocks God.
    No.., it mocks a charicature of church culture. Churchianity is not God. To say that is to say that God is a mean and judgemental sinner. God is actually quite respected in this movie. They never put him down or make fun of him. There is no jokes about Jesus, except Hillary’s statement that he had to be white. I actually agreed with pretty much everything that this movie had to say about God. I only disagreed with it’s exaggeration of negative Christian stereotypes and it’s moral ambiguity.

9) Lie #5. This movie is a sign of the end times.
    I don’t think this is really a lie, but I think that people’s reason’s for saying this are misguided. The fact that this movie is released is not a sign of the end. The fact that Christian’s are actually behaving like the people in this movie is. When I left the theater I was really disappointed in the movie and thought that the director went too far. I thought that it was unfair and totally false. Until I talked to my wife and my friend Christine who who grew up in a culture a lot like what was shown in the movie. My wife told me that she cried through the whole thing because it was so true to her experience. Christine said that she also could relate to the things that went on. They both said that they had witnessed almost all of the ridiculous things that happened in this movie at one time or another in their time at Christian school or camp and that they themselves even did many of the things that Hillary Faye does in the movie. I was shocked. I didn’t believe them until they started to share stories about what it was like for them to grow up. My wife almost got kiked out of her Christian school because she got a nose ring.

This movie is not my experience of Christianity. I have really loving and cool Christian friends, but there is definitely a large percentage of people in the church that are experiencing Christianity in the way that this movie depicts it (in it’s exaggerated way). That to me is a sign of the end. It might not be the whole church, but if this stuff is actually going on, them we really need to repent.

I am hoping to get my wife to write a post about some of her thoughts and reactions to this movie as someone who lived through a lot of the same stuff. I’ll try to have it posted tomorrow.

Anyway… This is already too long.

If you have any questions about the movie or want some clarification on what I said, just post a comment and I’ll answer it for you.

This is a review by a non-Christian and I think it pretty much explains why Christianity is against that movie.

Epsaltos Michael
  • personally, on this one, I would just let it die out. This may bring more publicity to the movie than needed. I really didn't want to watch the movie, but everyones comment is making me want to watch it to see what's wrong with it. Not that I will, but some people might.
  • I have a feeling ur kinda right Mike. Because after all of this, I kind of wanna see it to see what is REALLY wrong with it.

Epsaltos Michael
  • So then let's drop it. I can bet you that not too many people know of this movie. Not nearly as many as The Passion. But if word gets out that this movie is as controversial as The Passion, it'll sell as many tickets.

- Chris
  • [quote author=Mark423 link=board=1;threadid=286;start=60#msg4494 date=1088048345]
    Very sick... However, I don’t understand how high school students are “going through… divorce”. ::)

Hahaha, good point, but then again this is the U.S., and no one ever said that they were sane when it came to movies.

sleepy
  • [quote author=Coptic Defender link=board=1;threadid=286;start=15#msg3460 date=1086992357]
    Yes, they are pretty disturbing. This morning, a protestant pastor in our school gave us a sermona and in the end he yelled out: SEX IS AWESOME!!! and every1 laughed at him....

Defemder

same ere it wasnt a sermon but we were in class n the teacher screamed that line out n i was in yr 6 not highschool and everybody laughed at him its very disturbing y doesnt he keep his opinion to himself

F.R.O.G.
  • Dear fellow christians,

I just want to respond to what I feel are innacurate statements made by certain people on this discussion forum in regards to the movie "saved",and how it relates to biblical christianity{what you orthodox call "protestantism"}.First of all,we Bible believing christians do not endorse or condone the ungodliness portrayed in the movie,and it does not accurately reflect the values or morals of the christian church.It was made by Hollywood in an attempt to cast a bad light on born again christians.It was not made by Christians,the actors are not Christians,and in no way should be interpreted as being a true portrayal of Spirit-filled Christianity{what you call protestantism}.There are many liberal protestants in the world{as well as Orthodox},that is very true,but they do not represent true, born-again,Spirit-filled fundementalist or pentecostal christians.For you Orthodox christians to say that the movie "saved" reflects the values of all "protestant" christians is quite unfair and innaccurate.We are Bible believers,who obey the Lord Jesus Christ,and put Him first in all things,we certainly to not condone or act in the ungodly manner as seen in the movie "saved".
  • Jfranklin,
    Thank you for sharing that with the Forum. It is truly amazing to see how many people read posts and never respond. But what is more amazing than that is that fellow Christians (such as yourself - assuming your Protestant from your previous post) who are not Coptic visit these Coptic Forum Topics, read, and respond so ardently...(Mike Thoma, I have not forgotten you here). It is truly beyond man's comprehension to understand how really connected we are through the Holy Spirit, the Comforter.
    To the topic at hand...the view of one member does not represent the view of all members - keep that in mind as you explore this Forum. That movie in no way represented the true religion of Christianity or any branch of it, whether it be Coptic or Protestant.
    We are brothers and sisters in our Savior till our last breaths.

"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
    And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:31-2)

- Chris
  • Dear Banoub,

Thank you for your kind and encouraging word of welcome.I rejoice greatly, and marvel at the wonderful work the Holy Spirit is doing among my Orthodox brothers and sisters.I truely admire many things within the Coptic Orthodox Church,especially the desire and zeal of many orthodox believers to walk in a manner that is worthy and pleasing to our Lord Jesus Christ!May God richly bless you.

• I am sorry to sound very offensive sir but it was the protestant church that other heretics evolved from and it was a protestant school that wanted to jail me for being a Copt and it was also a protestant teacher that sent swearing at my Church for no reason just coz he knows I'm Orthodox and it was ALSO a protestant teacher that tried his best to fail me because I'm a Copt....

I myself do not attend protestant chapel and never will again, it is my duty as a deacon as mentioned in the Apostle's Canon to not attend prayers with heretics and it's my duty to not even have contact with heretics, John the beloved would leave the room a heretic went in, and I think John the beloved was the "beloved" and it was him that put the Bible together and it was him that got the Revelation..

Mike
  • Also to add to this, I am against the protestant theology and you can all critisize me for all I care...

If no one is man enough to say that well I am,

I AM AGAINST YOUR THEOLOGY, I AM AGAINST SOLA SCRPITURA AND I AM AGAINST PROTESTANISM AND I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH PERSECUTION I GET FOR THIS OR FOR BEING A COPT BUT I STAND FIRM ON THAT AND LIKE I SAID IN WASIM'S PRESENCE, I CONSIDER YOU ALL HERETICS, KILL ME FOR ALL I CARE,

and just like St. Athanasius stood up against Arianism, I stand up against you....
  • I am sorry to sound very offensive sir but it was the protestant church that other heretics evolved from

This is what you may have been taught,but it certainly is not the truth.I am sorry if certain people who claim to be christians have persecuted or offended you in the past{I apologize for their unloving and rude behavior}but are you not by your very rude and un-Christlike behavior also acting in the same spirit as they?Perhaps these "protestants"were very religious,but Christ may not have been living in their hearts.For we are not to persecute or hurt our fellow believers whom Christ our Lord died for,and purchased with His own Blood.I pray that Christ Jesus richly dwell in your heart and bring healing to all the hurts you have suffered at the hands of so-called Christians.As God teaches us all"Forgive that you may be forgiven.God be with you!
  • defender bro its ok to have ur beliefs and opinions and passion for ur faith but its not right to be blunt, and critisize , this is not the christian way, this is not wat Christ taught us man... when the people were killing him and persecuting him and spittin on him, what did he do, he called out "forgive them for they know not wat they do"

pray for those ppl man...

im sorry if this may sound offensive but im not, like i said typing is bad cause u cant hear the tone im saying this in but plz if i did offend plz 4give me, and may god 4give us all.
  • Yea I think G.J.I is right here.

It's good and o.k to have your beliefs, if they are correct, or if they are wrong, just don't offend people by them. I know it sounds hard, we all have our opinions who offend others, but the trick is knowing that *you think you are correct and others are wrong* - this is what makes us humans.

Please show some kindness and warmth of welcome to any new member who would like to state what is on their mind. Thank you.

Your Holy Spirit, O Lord, Whom You sent forth upon Your holy disciples and honored apostels in the third hour, do not take away from us, O Good One, but renew Him within us.

- Chris
  • G.J.I., YOU DID OFFEND ME...no jp :P

Jfranklin,

A few questions..

Are u lutheran?

Do u believe in intercession?

Do u believe in the Divine Eucharist?

Do u believe in the need of baptism at an early age?

Do u believe in the EVER-Virginity of St. Mary?

Please answer with support,

See, it wasn't one person that persecuted me because of my beliefs it was several people, calling themselvs "christian", and they WERE protestants, and it was part of their "duty" is critizing me and the Catholics,

The textbooks, written by protestant scholars. was all about critisizing the Orthodox and Catholic Churches.

And what do you call a pastor that tells everyone "I DO MIRACLES" is this the humility God needs?? This is proving what Christ said right, see if he did miracles and didn't ANNOUNCE it. I would know he's doing miracles with the Holy Spirit, yet he announced it saying and showing to everyone how pure he is...

See, almost every Coptic Clergyman does miracles, but they don't go in sermons and say "I DO MIRACLES". The people that were done miracles on wait until their death to write their story.

Mark 13
    21"Then if anyone says to you, "Look, here is the Christ!' or, "Look, He is there!' do not believe it. 22For false christs and false prophets will rise and show signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 23But take heed; see, I have told you all things beforehand.

Also the miracles ability was granted after the ability to forgive sins. God chose His disciples giving them Priesthood, allowing them to forgive sins, doing miracles was an extra...

I have another verse proving that yet I have to go.

God Bless.

Mike

• I understand that Banoub, I'm sorry for being so offensive at first, but I had to boast it out, since I was very annoyed with what he was saying...

No offence again

Mike
  • I can't blame you - if you have been going through what you say have been going through, I too would have burst at the seams.

But as we were told: let us forgive, so that we too may be forgiven.

Let us praise Christ, our God: the One in Essence with the Father: Who, through His divinity, made: the living and the dead.

- Chris