Big sin/Small sin

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey again....is there such thing in our faith regarding the magnitude of a sin...if that makes sense...like...can u say for example...a lie is a small sin...but disobeying ur parents is an even bigger sin...or is it...a sin is a sin...there is no such thing as a sin bigger than another!?!?!?! u guys know wat i mean...?

God Bless
Coptic21

Comments

• lying seems like a huge sin to me.. betraying trust I think?

but all sin leads to seperation from God right?
  • yea i know lying is a huge sin..i was using them as a comparison, coz they're different but they all lead to one thing...my question is, is there a difference...like r we judged on the TYPE of sins? or its all one? ok...a better eg: can u say that selling ur body is a bigger sin than swearing? i hope u know wat i mean...or wat i'm trying to get at...

God Bless
    Coptc21
  • Coptic21,
    I think this question was answered before, but anyway.

A sin is a sin is a sin......

There is no "bigger Sin" or "Smaller Sin" just like there is no "white lie" and "green lie" etc....

A sin, by definition, is seperation from God.

However, there are two types of sin as discribed by Saint Paul. A sin that is for death and a sin that is not for death. The only difference between them is the ones that we repent and confess are the ones that are NOT for death. So any sin is for death as long as we don't repent. But as far as God is concerned, whether we kill someone or we lie or we swear, etc... are all the same.

Hope this helps.
  • hey...thanx coptic boy...that explains it

God Bless
    Coptic21
  • I believe it was John the beloved (or was it a different john?) not St Paul.. we all make mistakes sometimes :)

1 John 5

16If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

KJV
    from
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 john 5;&version=9;

God Bless all His people!
  • well this question was asked in our previous youth meeting... lets say somebody said something mean to you... first you get angry... but that sin elevates when you curse... it elevates more when you hit... and it reaches its full point when you kill... but you cant tell me getting mad at someone is the same as killing them, because that doesnt make sense...
  • The sin "that leads to death", spoken of by Saint John, is the equivalent of commiting suicide. While we pray for every sin, except the sin that leads to death, there is no diffrentiation of sin in terms of prevelance. Sin by definition is death and death the consumation of every and any sin.

God Bless.
  • hmmm....this is so strange...wat ur trying to say is that if we were to murder someone it is the equivalent of swearing....or any other sin...???? murdering someone is taking a life...and who are we as humans on earth to take someone's life away from them? no one has the right to take someones life except God...would taking a life be much worse than lying or swearing????
  • of course!! you cant tell me that getting angry at someone is the same as killing them!!
  • yea thats wat i mean...i don't get how a sin is a sin no matter wat it is...like we're not going to be judged any different if we killed someone or if we swore at someone... ????
  • of course you are! why else would have god made different levels of heaven?
  • MikeforJesus, thanks for correcting my refrence.

The Bible is clear about sin, Listen to what Jesus said in Matthew 5:21-22.

21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder,[a] and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause[b] shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire."

so Yes, killing someone and insulting the image of God are on the same level.

As for the "levels" in heaven, there are many contamplations and explanations about that. The two most common ones are:
    1) The church consider's Martyers of higher ranking than confessors who, in turn, are higher ranking than monks, etc... So those are the "levels" that Jesus spoke about.
    2) A contemplation I heard which makes alot of sense. Those levels are set by us not God. Depending on how much we want to be closer to God, He will bring us. So we set our own level by how much we enjoy being with God. So if somoene lead a good life but wasn't neccssarly close to God, he will be at a lower level than someone who enjoys being With God.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Well being a victorious monk (I mean the monks who live by themselves) seems like a very high level to me because there is alot of danger in living in solitude right?

why is it lower than confessor? and what makes someone a confessor?
  • LETS MAKE IT NICE AND CLEAR, CAPSLOCK WOULD DO THE TRICK, ALTHOUGH I DISLIKE THE USE OF CAPSLOCK... YALLA, ANYWAYS...

IT IS VERY UNFORTUNATE TO SEE A WHOLE THREAD DECICATED TO THE THOUGHT OF "BIG" SINS VERSUS "SMALL" SINS, WHEN THE QUESTION IS NOT "WHAT DO U THINK IS A SMALL SIN, AND WHAT DO U THINK IS A BIG SIN".... WICH INFACT THIS QUESTION IS ENTIRLY CHILDISH, BUT THE QUESTION SHOULD BE "IS THERE SUCH THING AS A BIG SIN AND A SMALL SIN? ARE SINS CLASSIFIED?" AND THE ANSWER FOR THAT IS NO, NO SIN IS A "BIG" SIN, AND NO SIN IS A "SMALL" SIN, BECAUSE A SIN IS A SIN, MUDER IS THE SAME LEVEL TO A SIN OF SWEARING, AND LIKE PRACTICALLY ANYONE WHO IS ANYONE SWEARS, AND THE REASON WHY THAT PEOPLE CLASSIFY THE "LARGENESS" OF A SIN IS DUE TO THE AFTERMATH AND CONSEQUENCE OF THAT SIN, LIKE WHAT YOU GET FROM SWEARING AND MURDER, WITH MURDER U GOTTA LIVE WITH THE THOUGHT THAT YOU MURDERED SOMEONE AND THAT THERE IS NOT MUCH SOLUTION TO IT, EXCEPT CONFESSING OBVIOUSLY, AND WITH SWEARING IT IS AS WELL AS CONFESSING, YOU GOTTA APOLOGISE FOR SWEARING AND FIGHT THE SIN.
    END OF STORY...
    GBU :)
  • Mikhail...that was my original question...it just got a bit twisted with interpretation....but thanx for ur explanation....i just wanted to know if there was such thing as a small sin and a big sin... and are there classifications as u sed...thanx

God Bless
    Coptic21