Hurting Urself

Comments

• ya thats true :-[
    probably from abuse, its sad really because chance are he'll never be the same. he'll learn to deal with it with profesional help but it will always be a part of him/her
  • This person should maybe talk to an abouna. thats someone I would trust with that kind of information way more than a therapist.
  • Keep in mind, that your body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit, and one should not harm any part of it (when Simon plucked out his eye after enduring lustful methods, he actually sinned).

This problem is above your head (and all of ours). Seek professional help, not af a therapist, but of a priest. Your real professional guide.
  • well i hav a person at skool in my class that got a pair of scissors and started twisting his veins with them yes painful and yes sad. the only reason som1 wood do this as u sed hes gettin teased... thats a form of depression and that is suicide if u r not aware. there r lots of types of suicide... 1 where u just grab ur gun and thats it its over and 2 is a slow death hopin that sum1 will come in time to save them and thats wat this person has done its lyk a cry out by saying im here no 1 cares about me anymore please help me so no you shouldnt avoid this person because they are scary but stay close to them show them love tell them its ok and there are people that still love him/her it is a very serious issue and please look out for early warning signss of suicide like by saying ull b sorry wen im goine thats a very common one so be careful pray for them heaps and Rabena ma3aki i wish everything will go well

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • wow..vein twisting..thats a new one
    well its also a sin for us if we know the right thing to do and we dont do it, we could save a person's life while we're at it and isnt that worth a little bit of our time.
  • yes thats exactly ryt and thers worse than vein twisting if this person has been telling u about suicide and said i will or i wish i wood die or watever and told u not to tell anybody... just bcoz they r ur frend and theyd get upset if u do and u sun wanna gossip etc DONT LISTEN TO THEM U HAVE TO TELL SUM1 i cant stress it enuf... their life is in ur hands u no about it imagine God forbid but a person sed to u ok im going to do it but dun tell ne1 or ill get upset and u dont then next day u find them ded ull b guilty for the rest of ur lyf that u din do anything and u cant deny tat feeling yes? so its better to tell sum1 coz this is a emergancy i hav a sheet of warning signs ill find it and post it up and this is for every1 always keep it or sumfin and refer to it if u hav a frend or no sum1 thts going throo it kk never ignore the warning signs!!

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • never ignore them. its the worst thing you can do.
    Find help if the problem persists. ive been through it one too many times, please listen to this advice.

+God Bless.
  • yes i have a friend who does the same cutting thing!!!

but she got over it as the depression went away!!

i think the best medicine after spiritual medicine ofcourse is laughter n that hurting herself would be not questionable!!!
  • hm, cutting ur self is putting physical pain over emosional pain, in health we watched a movie about his kind of stuff and the person who lived this said that after some thing really sad happend it was good to just see the blood it made her feel better. I think something happend to this person like a death so they're doing that to make them feel better. STICK WITH THIS PERSON then take them to a consular tell them that if they ever need to talk you're there.
  • that is exactly ryt charitablesoul good stuff ;)
  • yes i agree u should stick with them so if u can...try to find iut what is casuing him/her to do these things n alwas stik with him/her!!!
  • i cant find the suicide symptoms oo farout ill try agen but they r really good ill chek agen
  • I don't understand,
    Why would you hurt yourself if you were made fun of?

PK
  • i didnt read all 3 pages but like most of you said, this is definatly a person who needs phsycological help. the fact that you are the only person who knows means that your friend is seeking help indirectly. remember, you are 12 years old, so don't take the matter in your hands so you're not negatively effected by this. you can tell the guidance conselor at the school, i know for a fact that he/she will do something about it, it's their responsiblity. now, expect that your friend may not talk to you after he finds out what you did, but don't treat him the same, support him from afar, not making him feel left out or ignored..etc. when he is treated, he will thank you so much for the way you helped him. please be careful.
  • one thing i forgot to mention... make sure you pray for your friend and even put his name on the altar

that made me think of something..how amazing our church is for keeping the sacrament of confession..we have our very own phyciatrist(abouna) on call anytime so you dont build up any emotions inside and end up with a problem like that. everytime i think about it, i think, wow, those ppl out there are killing themselves everyday, finding ways to vent their built up frustration in life, going on Oprah and discussing their dirty secrets, then they wonder why society's problems are increasing..little do they know, God already knew about his and established this wonderful sacrament for us, but they, little by little, to it away and now they reep what they sowed
  • nicely put copticsinner!!

;) marina
    tadpole
  • okay i basically have the same problem my frnd at skool she is not christian. she went through alot i meen i kno her deep secrets i wish i dint kno them i meen its awful she said tht cutting is an addiction and she wants to comit sucide i got scared and lik i tried my best to keep her 4m doin tht i prayed lot for her and god helped cuz she was gona kill her self tht same weekend.anyway cutting is an addiction she wanted to stop she tried many times she just cant help it.life is harsh on people thts the reson tht happens to them.so all i did was prayed 4 her its the only way anybody can solve a problem lik tht
  • thats sad addiction may god bless her and your heart hope all the good things
  • I don't know what but i know i used to be a cutter myself. I used to cut because i felt like dying. I had paranoia and i was sick. I would think when someone looked at me they were making fun of me and when my friends were telling secrets about me. I stopped though because i found a friend that was absolutely amazing. She didn't care what ppl thought about her. She just wanted to live her life and have fun and keep up her grades. The best thing to do is not to excommunicate this person but to be the best friend you can be. Stand up for your friend and don't leave her alone cause then she'll do it more. Let her see that it doesn't matter what ppl say or think about her but only what she thinks and what god thinks. I also used to cut because i had horrible family problems. Now my family still has the problems but things got better and i guess when i found God, my life changed. What ppl thought about me i didn't care. You just need to help your friend raise her self esteem. I hope your friend stops and relizing what a miserable thing she is doing to her/himself. May God bless the two of you and I will pray for you. :)
  • Addiction is made up by all sorts of things, like someone making fun of you, swearing at you, talking about you, or even bullying you like when your made up by your parents genes (just an example), angel from heaven, it's not right to cut yourself if someone was talking, making fun of you, or swearing at you, God is always with you, you do NOT need to cut yourself if people do that to you, you can pray or read the Holy Bible, here is a verse that may have an affect on us, "Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man, but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man" Matthew 15:11, please remember everyone in your prayers, also isn't that called, "ruining God's body?" well, I know it is, and this is God's body not ours, please treat it as his, and not yours! God be with you all!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=CopticSinner link=board=13;threadid=2401;start=45#msg43311 date=1133146185]
    i didnt read all 3 pages but like most of you said, this is definatly a person who needs phsycological help. the fact that you are the only person who knows means that your friend is seeking help indirectly. remember, you are 12 years old, so don't take the matter in your hands so you're not negatively effected by this. you can tell the guidance conselor at the school, i know for a fact that he/she will do something about it, it's their responsiblity. now, expect that your friend may not talk to you after he finds out what you did, but don't treat him the same, support him from afar, not making him feel left out or ignored..etc. when he is treated, he will thank you so much for the way you helped him. please be careful.

I think that was an excellent response CopticSinner, you really got every point, besides the other users who have also have outstanding responses!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=board=13;threadid=2401;start=15#msg37531 date=1125883291]
    but they aren't like orthodox!!!

guys i know even orthodox people that do this:
    there are two cases
    1. attention seekers
    2. seriously emotionally ill

the attention seekers are like completly pathetic and you know theyre looking for attention by the way they act and how they like to 'show-off' their wrists etc (trust me, my whole school is full of them)
    and you also got the ill ones who are so depressed and are wanting to commit suiside. get them to a therapist, a counceller ASAP- cus you don know what theyre capable of

mazza
    god bless
    p.s if you love christ, you wouldnt dare 2 harm yourself. as my mum always says- mesh andohom rubena fee albohom (aka- they dont have god in their heart) lol
  • [quote author=mazza link=board=13;threadid=2401;start=45#msg45653 date=1137136211]
    [quote author=sandrahanna link=board=13;threadid=2401;start=15#msg37531 date=1125883291]
    but they aren't like orthodox!!!

guys i know even orthodox people that do this:
    there are two cases
    1. attention seekers
    2. seriously emotionally ill

the attention seekers are like completly pathetic and you know theyre looking for attention by the way they act and how they like to 'show-off' their wrists etc (trust me, my whole school is full of them)
    and you also got the ill ones who are so depressed and are wanting to commit suiside. get them to a therapist, a counceller ASAP- cus you don know what theyre capable of

mazza
    god bless
    p.s if you love christ, you wouldnt dare 2 harm yourself. as my mum always says- mesh andohom rubena fee albohom (aka- they dont have god in their heart) lol

I liked that very much, thanks mazza, and yes mahandomesh rabena feh albohom!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • thanks,

just my 2 cents

pray 4 me
  • ok guys i finally found the suicide things

ok here we go
    there r 5 types of suicides
    1 symbolic suicide
    2 accidental suicide
    3 overtly intentional, but unsuccessful suicide
    4 intentionally attempted and obviously unsuccessful suicide
    5 overtly intentional and successful suicide

i will briefly explain each 1 :
    1. som1 that destroys objects or an organisation etc. eg. a boy who destroys his most treasured possesion

2. this is an anccident that results in the individuals death and appears to contain some element of unconcious willing for it to occur
    eg. a graffiti artist spray painting outside a moving train, and gets hit by a pole may be wishing death without actually commiting it

3. there is a decision to die and a plan for how to do it, but the attempt is not successful eg. the overdose of drugs was not strong enuf, sombody found the peron b4 they died and called an ambulance

4. this is when a person commits an anct that is ment to look lyk a suicide attempt but has been planned to be succesful eg. sum1 overdoses in the lounge room of their home knowing that sum1 will come home and find them 5 mins l8a thus saving their lives.

id like to concentrate on this 1
    one characterisitc of people who succesfully commit suicide is a history of 1 or more prior unsuccessful attempts. in cases such as these it may be that the unsuccessful attempts were a last cry for help. if any1 responds to this suicidal attempt then there is a new alternative available in the form of special attention, sympathy, reduced demands, and perhaps hospitalisation and therapy.

another characteristic of this kind of thing comments such as 'theyll be sorry when im dead.' this can also b an indication that a person is thinking about taking their own life, and may be a verbal clue for sum1 to ask them abou tit

sumtyms the ;attempted' suicide is inadvertently succesful. for eg, the person who overdoses in the lounge isnt found bcoz the person they thought was going to come home missd the bus

5. these are the people that attempt suicide and actually die. most of them planned. evidence is lyk leaving a note, the paying of outstanding bills, giving away of prized possesions in the days leading to the suicide, talk of not being around in the near future etc.

Responding to sum1 u may think is suicidal:
    research suggests if a person is thinking about taking their own life and u ask them about it, they will admit that they are thinking about it. here are sum questrions which would help you to analyse the thinking of sum1 you think may be suicidal

1. have you been thinking about taking your life?
    2. have u ever attempted suicide?
    3. has any1 in your family, or have any of your frends ever attempted or completed sicide?
    4. do you have any thoughts about the future?
    5. s there any other way out of the solution?
    6. who or wat is your life worth living for?
    7. do u have any1 you can turn to for support

Ranking of risk factors:

order risk factors for assessment
    1 degree of hoplessness
    2 communicated ideation or plan
    3 previous attempts
    4 level of mood and affect
    5 quality of relationships
    6 signs and symptoms of depression
    7 social intefration
    8 recent loss of relationship
    9 symptoms of mental status
    10 willingness to accept help

OK GUYS THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THIS IS THE SUICIDAL CHECKLIST IF U THINK SUM1 IS SUICIDAL LOOK AT THIS LIST

verbal clues
    open talk of suicide
    talk of not being present in the near future
    questions about suicide
    no longer talking to a counsellor

behavioural clues
    severe depression ( including apathy, insomnia)
    sudden improvement in the mental attitude
    guilt, shame, embarrassment
    feelings of hostility, revenge, tension and or anxiety
    knowledge of available methods
    clearyly thouht out plans
    proposed method available ( gun, drugs etc)
    giving away possesions
    bying or updating insurance
    paying long standing bills
    putting personal affairs in order
    one or more almost successful past attempts

situational clues
    loss of loved person by death, divorce, separation etc
    loss of money, prestige, job (including retirement)
    sickness, serious injury, accident, surgery, loss of limb
    threat of criminal prosecution
    change(s) in life situation
    failiure in counselling
    success, promotion, increased responsibilities

symptomatic clues
    feelings of hoplessness
    dissatisfaction
    confused thinking
    tendency to complain
    defiant attitude
    drug or drinking problem
    inability to control impulse

resources clues
    no source of support (friends, relatives, etc)
    family friends available but unwilling to help
    no church or community contact
    living alone

kk guys i URGE u to look at these points i have listed above and if u no sum1 or think sum1 myt be suicidal please please look at the list above if u need any explaining in anything i will be more than happy to help and explain if u need Bible verses and views of suicide inthe Bible on suicide i have alot so again u can ask me for that and i will b more than happy to help

AND GUYS... DONT IGNORE THE WARNING SIGNS EVEN IF YOU THINK THEY WONT DO IT ITS A CALL FOR HELP AS THE SUICIDE #4 PLEASE GUYS

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    pray 4 me plz
  • well, my best friend used to cut her self last year and it used to make me and her other friends sad until we like cry. she did it because of this "crush" that she had. i thought that was very dumb. just because he ignored her. she was addicted but thank God she doesn't do it anymore because i told her that that guy was def. not worth it and those marks on her arm are going to last forever. and this was in her tomboy stage because she never dressed like a girl and she was shy. i am guessing no self-esteem. but anyways, she dresses like a girl now and her self-esteem has boosted Thank God. so, for her, it was a stage i guess
  • oh yeah, i forgot to mension she overdosed once. and she went to the hospital. i really thought she was a gonner. and she did do it over that boy :'(
  • That is really sad egyptionorthobeaut, but I'm very glad to hear that you stuck by her side until she quit, I think it's a major problem if this keeps happening, but whenever someone does this, that goes to your church, show them these 3 things that will boost their self-esteem and keep them consious of what they are doing to theirself,
    1) Holy Bible-show them the chapter of Genesis about Adam and Eve, and the creation of mankind by dust (or relm in arabic)
    2) Cross-will show them that God created mankind and it's his body, and by them cutting themselves is ruining God's body!
    3) A picture of our Lord Jesus Christ-will remind him/her about the pain God suffered

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Thank you coptic servent, great idea

God bless*
  • Anytime, glad I helped someone!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent