St.Christopher the Christ Bearer
    Pope Cyril the 6th
    St.Anthony
    St.Athanasius
    My good friend St.Abanoub.

There are 9, just to be different ;).
    The list is still growing :)

Tito

• I've thought long and hard about this and this is what I came up with (in no specific order of course):

St. Abanoub El-Nehessey
    St. Mina the Wonder Worker
    Amba Abraam, Bishop of Fayoum (the patron saint of my church)
    St. Paul the Apostle
    St. John the Baptist

Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves (Luke 10:3).
  • Mathitis,
    Speaking of St. Christopher the Christ-Bearer, did you hear that the Catholics, who at one time venerated him as a saint, no longer do? I don't remember why, but this was very recent.

It makes me sad to know that a saint can be a saint for a while, then, poof, no longer a saint in the Catholic religion.
    But Chris is a good name lol.

- Chris
  • Sorry, but I'm not familiar with saint abanoub il meheesy. Can someone fill me in on him.

sleepy
  • El-Nehessy (Nehisa) is the city where St. Abanoub is from. Do you know St. Abanoub's story? I'll post it anyway.
  • Yea, I do, it's that nehessey thing that threw me off.
    Sry. lol.

sleepy
  • Yea, I thought that was it. But for those who don't know the story:

Abanoub was only twelve years old when he was martyred by the Roman ruler. On July 31 of each year, the Church celebrates his death, as the day of his birth into eternal life. Abanoub's relics, as well as the relics of many Christians who died with him, are still preserved in St. Virgin Mary and St. Abanoub church in Samanoud. It is also said that the Holy Family visited that place during their presence in Egypt. The church still contains the well from which The Lord Jesus, St. Mary, and St. Joseph drank. Numerous apparitions and miracles still occur in that church until today.

Abanoub was born in a town called Nehisa in the Nile Delta. He was the only son of good Christian parents who died when he was a young child.
    At the age of twelve, Abanoub entered the church and heard the priest asking the congregation to remain faithful during the persecutions provoked by Diocletian, the Roman Emperor. Abanoub received the Holy Sacraments, then he prayed to God to guide him to where he can confess his faith in Jesus our Lord. After that Abanoub gave all his possessions to the needy; then he set off to a city called Samanoud, on foot.

While he was walking, he saw the Archangel Michael in celestial glory. The sight was so extraordinary that Abanoub fell to the ground, but the Archangel raised him up, and told him that he must suffer for three days in Samanoud and he would witness to Jesus Christ in other places also.
    Once in Samanoud, Abanoub went to the Roman ruler and declared his faith openly. He also insulted the ruler's idols. The ruler was infuriated and gave orders to whip him on his belly. The soldiers whipped Abanoub so hard that his intestines poured out of his stomach. However, the Archangel Michael miraculously healed him. The ruler then ordered that he be sent to jail, with the other Christians, who later were martyred for their faith.

The following day, the ruler took Abanoub on a boat to a city called Atrib, and as punishment, he hung Abanoub upside down from the sail of the boat. The soldiers, along with their ruler, started to torture Abanoub. Suddenly, the soldiers were blinded and the ruler was paralyzed. In their agony they cried to him and said, "Please Abanoub, pray to your God to heal us. For if we are cured, we will become Christians."

St. Abanoub replied, "This will only happen in Atrib, so that everyone there should know that there is no other God but Christ." When they arrived in Atrib, they were all healed, and they cried with joy: "We are Christians. We believe in the God of Abanoub". They then took off their uniforms and threw them on the ground in front of the ruler of Atrib. The governor was outraged, and ordered their execution.

In Atrib, Abanoub was tortured severely, sometimes by whipping and sometimes by tying him to a steel bed and igniting fire under him. However, the Lord saved Abanoub. As a result of these miracles, many onlookers became Christians, and received the crown of martyrdom. The ruler then gave orders to cut Abanoub's hands and feet. At that moment, the Angel of the Lord came down from heaven, and healed him. Abanoub then got up and walked in front of everybody. Hundreds of people became Christians as a result of that miracle.

Frustrated, the ruler called some of the best magicians in the country, and asked them to help him defeat Abanoub. They suggested that he be thrown to the poisonous snakes. "Those snakes have enough poison to kill two or three hundred men." they said. So they threw Abanoub in a cell with snakes, but God, who shut the mouths of the lions at the time of Daniel, tamed the snakes and they did not harm Abanoub. In the morning, and to everybody's astonishment, St. Abanoub came out from the cell alive. Then suddenly one of the snakes crawled out of the cell and coiled itself around the ruler's neck. The man cried, "In the name of Jesus your God, be merciful on me and don't let the snake harm me." The saint who loved everyone - friend or enemy - just as the Gospel commands, prayed from his heart, and then ordered the snake to come down and not to hurt the ruler. On that day, many people who were present including the three magicians believed in Jesus.

Finally one of the ruler's advisers told him to behead the saint and put an end to that episode. So the ruler ordered the soldiers to kill St. Abanoub with their swords. A faithful man called St. Julius wrapped Abanoub's body in fine linen and sent it to his hometown Nehisa where it was buried. In 960 A.D., his body was transferred to St. Virgin Mary's church in Samanoud where it still lies until today.
  • [quote author=Banoub link=board=1;threadid=294;start=60#msg4229 date=1087862409]
    Mathitis,
    Speaking of St. Christopher the Christ-Bearer, did you hear that the Catholics, who at one time venerated him as a saint, no longer do? I don't remember why, but this was very recent.

It makes me sad to know that a saint can be a saint for a while, then, poof, no longer a saint in the Catholic religion.

- Chris

That's depressing! About both the saint and your name lol. More the saint though.

Matt is better :) or maybe Tito?

The reason St.Abanoub is there because I saw him once before.
  • Matt/Tito,
    Really? Please elaborate. We would all love to hear it.

- Chris
  • My hectic 5 are:
    *Archangel Michael
    *St. Mary
    *Anba Abraam
    *St George
    *St Wannas (helps me find EVEYTHING)
    By the way, they aren’t in any order.

God Bless
  • Who's St. Wannas??

perhaps u can share a link to a story ...
    thanks!
  • St wannas was a young boy, who got martyred at a young age of probably around 12 years old. I can't remember the whole story though...but i do remember that there was this muallim, that wannes loved very much, who was taken by the Romans, and was killed. After that wannes went to the same soldiers to confess his faith openly. He was martyred for several days and received the crownn of martyrdom.

If anyone remembers some more details...everything is welcome :)

-matt-
  • I looked in the synexarium but I can't find it..

anyhelp??

Mke
  • It's kinda an unknown story, i don't know if it's in the sinexarium at all, but a film came out about his life recently...
  • [quote author=Banoub link=board=1;threadid=294;start=60#msg4229 date=1087862409]
    Mathitis,

- Chris

no, we still do venerate St. Christopher
  • I thought Pope John Paul II had decreed that he was no longer a saint?

You are Catholic, I'm assuming from all the sources and your previous post, so you know more than me on that.

"I have sinned, I have sinned: My Lord Jesus forgive me: for there is no servant without sin: nor a master without forgiveness."

- Chris
  • Quick question---> Is H.H. John Paul II the Pope that gave us back the body of St. Mark??

Mike
  • 1) St.Mary
    2) St. Mark
    3) Pope kyrillos
    4) Archangel Michael
    5) St. Marina

My intercessor is St.Mark though, I love him!!
  • wow its kool to see this post is still gettin replies,
    how bout we change it around a bit to ur hectic 5 priests/monks/popes...

eg mine are:
    pope kyrollos
    abouna abbd el mesieh el manakry
    anba abraam
    abouna mikhiel el behiery
    abouna mikhiel ibrahim

i recomend watchin ther videos
    ur turn...
  • lol, it's Abouna Abd El Messieh el ManaHry not ManaKry...

lol, no big deal tho...

good stuff..

Mike
  • actually its both
  • yeh both, was english version (manakry) othe arabic i think

• Im in great need of the prayers of:
    ST: Mary, Archangle Michael, and all the angles. John the
    Pabtist, ST: Marcos and all the apostoles, Phylopateer Mar-
    corious, ST: Dimianana, ST: George ad all the martyres.
  • I've never heard...

however thanks and sorry about that... :-[

Mike
  • it kool :)
    ill 4give ya this time but im not 4gettin... ;)
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father + and the Son + and the Holy Spirit +. Amen[/glow].

It was Pope Paul VI who accepted the request of Pope Kirullos to receive the relics of St Mark. Here is a site with some info:

http://www.icopts.com/content/display.php?id=39&pid=1#
  • guys, now lets talk about favourite angels...

mine is sarathiel, but thats only cause i like saying his name in the doxologys (sourial,sadaciel, sarathiel and ananiel, the luminous...etc)
    does any one know anything about him or any of those 4??

• 1. Anba Abraam
    2. Philopateer Merkorious Abu Sefein
    3. Pope Kirollos VI
    4. Mari Mina
    5. Abouna Andrawes El Samueli - I recommend you watchi his video! It's beautiful!

Now for popes and other clergy

1. Anba Abraam
    2. Pope Kirollos
    3. Abouna Andrawes El Samueli
  • come on guys does any1 know about the Archangels?