Parents!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey guys!

i was just wondering how other parents are. mine r really strict. does any ones parent differentiate between guys and girls?

is there anything in the Bible that talks about how to treat ur kids?

Comments

• i guess you can put my parents in the moderate not so strict or so liberat catergory. My parents do not really differentiate between boy and girl as much as care about the girl more.
    I am not sure if it says anything in the Bible on how to raise your kids ???
  • actually Saint Paul talks about how to treat your kids a few times. here are some of them.

2 Corinthians 12:14
    Now for the third time I am ready to come to you. And I will not be burdensome to you; for I do not seek yours, but you. For the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.

Ephesians 6:1-4
    Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. "Honor your father and mother," which is the first commandment with promise: "that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth." And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.

Colossians 20-21
    Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord. Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.

Thats all i could think of right now, if i find anything else, i'll be sure to let you know.

BTW, to answer your question until today, my parents pretty much have more control on me than any other girl i know lol.

Pray for me
  • Interesting St. Paul is only asking the father to not provoke the children and not parents as in the father and mother ???
  • My parents don't differetiate between boy and girl. They believe that all of us are equal, and should be treated the same way.

sleepy
  • Same here sleepy!
    only difference with me is that my parents just like my brother more... apparantly, i have the bad genes in the family (yet the smarter one)...
    SMS
  • Hahaha, aaaaawwwwwww..... I feel your pain. I always accuse my parents of liking my brother more than me, even though I know it's not true, but at the same time, that's how it feels. It's like "hey!!!!, I wasn't allowed to do that when I was his age!!!....."

sleepy
  • [quote author=Wasim link=board=1;threadid=329;start=0#msg3362 date=1086897808]
    Interesting St. Paul is only asking the father to not provoke the children and not parents as in the father and mother ???

This is because the father is more known to be the authority of the house. “The man of the house”, etc. personally I see that in my house also, my father is more dominant, as is the man in most households.

Ephesians 5:22-24

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.
    For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.
    Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.

Not to say that the mother shouldn’t have a weighted word in the house; of course she should; but when the man is present they are the ones in control. Don’t give me feminist responses please :-)

Ephesians 5:25-29,33

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.

...let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband."

It’s a mutual position…

-Mark
  • [Not to say that the mother shouldn’t have a weighted word in the house; of course she should; but when the man is present they are the ones in control. Don’t give me feminist responses please :-)

-Mark

i dont really mean to pursue that, but dont u think that same males go over the limit?
  • Did you mean “some” males?

No I don’t think so because it doesn’t say for men to treat the women harshly, it is merely assigning roles to the males and roles to the females. As is written; the man and the woman become one body, so the man should treat the woman with the same love he would treat himself. If that is abided by then there won’t be any discrepancies.
  • Ah!! nicely handled!! :D couldn't agree more :)
  • And the same should go for the woman, she should have the same privileges, and responsibilites.
    ll equal in the eyes of god.
    sleepy
  • yesss
    mine too
    i guess all parents are like that
  • [quote author=Mark423 link=board=1;threadid=329;start=0#msg3420 date=1086921935]

As is written; the man and the woman become one body, so the man should treat the woman with the same love he would treat himself.

I would add that Jesus commanded us to treat all of our neighbors that way, not just our spouses. Chistianity is not an easy religion to follow.

God bless!
  • [quote author=NorthernCross link=board=1;threadid=329;start=0#msg4114 date=1087692653]
    Chistianity is not an easy religion to follow.

God bless!

I agree NC!
  • haha....
    but it's the right one after all... :D
  • ok i have a question to all of u
    do parents just like the little kid more or is it that they are always spoiled
    and also my parents dont differenciate b/w boys and girls but my little brother doesn't do anything in the house
    is it because he is a boy or is it because he is the little one and is spoiled
    ps: hes not that young
  • its because hes a boy, most likely
  • well i don't know egprincess i kinda disagree with you
    It could be for a lot of different reasons Coptic Angel:
    1) If either of your parents are the youngest in their family(like between their brothers and sisters)
    2) Because he is the younest (the baby of the family)
    3) Then again maybe egprincess' reason because he is a boy
    4) OR your parents just love him more than you :P just kidding
  • But I don't really think that parents would pile up more work for a gurl just because she is a gurl.

sleepy
  • they do with me "ashan ente el bint"

sound familiar anyone?
  • Well, then get verses out of the bible that prove that gurls and boys are equal. There are many of them there. Truts me.

sleepy
  • sleepy, ive had priests, bishops talk, yet, no listen.
  • well, i do way more things than my brothers in the house, but its because they won't know how to do it right so i get stuck doing it lol. and they will never learn until they do it, but they'll never do it because they'll do it wrong...so its just some twisted cycle. Although it seems like they favor one side over the other, i think my parents do try and treat us equally even though it may not always seem that way.
  • [quote author=egprincess link=board=1;threadid=329;start=15#msg4242 date=1087866800]
    sleepy, ive had priests, bishops talk, yet, no listen.

You've had them talk to your parents, or what? ???

sleepy
  • yea, but still stubborn. anywaz....
  • unfortunately..many egyptian parents are just stubborn. But something a priest told me once when i was having many MANY problems with my parents was "If you want them to change, then YOU have to change first!!" cus no matter how hard you try to change them, they will only change when you change the way you act with them. [as a matter of fact..my dad's on speakerphone right now yelling at me, for a reason that i know is completely not my fault, but i can't say anything to him cus he's older and i gotta bear with it]. trust me..the day that [God forbid], you lose your parents...you'll be wanting to just hear them yelling at you like that one more time. And remember...we all have a cross we gotta bear...everybody has it different..but bear it with happiness, and you'll get your reward..but remember..with happiness. For most of us, our cross is our parents...we just have to bear it..and pray for them.
  • ;) couldn't have said it better myself..

most relationships are like that though.. u have to be the better person.. CHRISTian.. be Christ-like and others will follow your example... u'll find that once God is in your heart u'll find peace and many of the things that used to bother you wont anymore.. but like Paul said.. bear your cross with happiness and be grateful.. alot of kids dont have parents at all..( easier said than done i know)

God bless
  • Some verses...

Proverbs 1:8

My son, hear the instruction of your father,
    And do not forsake the law of your mother…

Proverbs 3:11

My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD,
    Nor detest His correction;
    For whom the LORD loves He corrects,
    Just as a father the son in whom he delights.

Proverbs 4:1

Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction;
    pay attention and gain understanding.
    I give you sound learning,
    so do not forsake my teaching.

Proverbs 6:20

My son, keep your father's commands
    and do not forsake your mother's teaching.
    Bind them upon your heart forever;
    fasten them around your neck.

Proverbs 13:1

A wise son heeds his father's instruction,
    but a mocker does not listen to rebuke.

Proverbs 15:5

A fool spurns his father's discipline,
    but whoever heeds correction shows prudence.

Proverbs 23:22

Listen to your father, who gave you life,
    and do not despise your mother when she is old.
  • ok now, how about some verses for the parents? ;)
  • Ephesians 6:4
    And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.

Colossians 3:21
    Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.