Verse of the Day

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Ok, guys this is how it's gonna go..

I'll pic a verse and say what it means from my opinion and then u guys could each tell me what u think it means Ok...

By the way, it doesn't necessarily have to be one verse!

Ok here it goes:

24th of May, 2004:
In the Name of the Father, the Son the Holy Spirit, the One True God. Amen.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.

John 1:1-4

Since this is the first verse I wanted to begin with the "in the beggining..." verse.

It mainly talks about Jesus Christ, the Word of God, the Son of God, God Himself. It says that God was in the very begginig, since forever.

defender!

Comments

• [glow=red,2,300]Christ is Ascended!!![/glow]

[right][/right]An interesting observation concerning "In the beginning...." and that is in Genesis we see God creating the universe and here in John we see it begins with God and His relationship with creation as welll. However in this instance, it is the NEW creation brought about by the Holy Incarnation of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!!! He is that all important ripple in existence that reaches across the stretches of human existence moving us,baptizing us into is Death and Resurrection! The Church is the new Redeemed Creation growing into the image and likeness of Her Lord!
    Isn't this mindblowing!? You and I are part of this becuase of God's Divine Mercy and Love!!! Thank you Jesus!!! Thank you oh [glow=red,2,300]Most Holy Trinity!!![/glow]

Rabena Rules ...satan drools!!!
  • ah! be careful with that...
    However in this instance, it is the NEW creation brought about by the Holy Incarnation of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!!!
    i'm just sayin cuz it sounds like that He wasn't there from before.. which He was. He is the lord "I AM"... never was or never will not be... no past tense no perfect ending.. the english language is very useless when it comes to defining such lines.. but yea.. i def. know what you mean.
  • Maybe you could define it correctly by saying "At the supra-time was the word?"
  • [glow=red,2,300]Christ is Ascended!!![/glow]

You are absolutely correct marys..i thank you for ur observation and it gladdens me that you understand within what context this was written. Again ty for ur advice...:).
  • well since were doing this, i have a lot of questions about the verses then, so i'll just go one at a time.

Acts 6:3
    "Therefore, brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business."

The part that caught me was the good reputation part. This was when they were choosing the 7 deacons. Are these the same requirements for a deacon today? And sorry to go into a little more detail...IF this does apply for deacons today, then is it only for the rank of deacon, or from the beginning of the ranks? cus if it still does apply today, then a lotta deacons need to change their acts [talking about myself].
  • wat does "ty" mean???
    is it some sorta american thing, like a code or password???
    or does it mean somthing really simple and i look like a complete idiot askin???
  • quick note... ty mean thank you..
    and to answer pauls question...
    the "men of good reputation part" was and still should be a requirement for a deacon. a deacon's job in the past wasn't simply to sing the hymns of the church.. he was sort of the liason of the church to the world outside. they had to be men of good reputation in order for those who knew nothing of the Christian faith would see Christ in them and they would in turn be swayed to convert... think of it this way.. if they had picked the 7 worst people they could find.. then as the representatives of the church people would think that this is the typical Christian and they would reject the faith before even giving it a chance... does that help?
  • yeah it actually explains a lot. Thanks. I'll post a few more soon if nobody minds.
  • Guys, I posted verses for 25 and 26 but they never appeared and by the way Paul. do u wanna work with me on this?

defender
  • nah man, you take care of it, i'll just post verses if i have questions about them. thanks anyway, and i'm still learnin a lot from seeing people's perspectives on these verses, so keep it up. take care, and pray for me too.
  • ohhh makes sense,
    thnx mary if it wasnt for u, i woulda gone thru life lost, and laughed at, ty= thankyou, genius, wat will we think of next...
    hey ty mary
  • May 27, 2004:

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,[1] nor sodomites, 10nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

I really like this verse because it stands firm that you need 1.Faith
    2.Deeds
    to enter the Kingdom of God, because your deeds don't matter unless you have faith and ur faith won't get u nowhere if ur deeds aren't good.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and Pray for me the chief sinner...

Defender
  • [glow=red,2,300]Christ Is Ascended!!!![/glow]

[pre][/pre] Yes Ahooyah Defender, Faith without works is dead (James 2:20). The Holy Orthodox Faith is sooo awesome becuase it has 2,000yrs worth of Wisdom from the Holy Spirit thru the Holy Scriptures and the Holy Fathers! In the Bible works is divided into 2 categories:

A) Dead Works
    B) Living Works

Dead Works: these are works which are evil like murder,adultery,idol worship,and robbery. These the Holy Scriptures also call" The works of the Flesh...(Galatians 5:19)". and condemns. But there are even good works done for the wrong reasons that are also Dead Works. These are works good in themselves like fasting,feeding the poor, praying but are done to clal attention to oneself or to gain standing in the community. Selfish motivations turn these works into dead works. The solution is not to stop fasting, feeding the poor nor praying but but to turn from the sin of self- glorification.

Living Works: These are works which are good in themselves AND done for a good purpose: to glorify GOD!!!The Holy Scriptures praises good works. St pual teaches that works are an outgrowth of salvation:"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God has prepared beforejabd so that we may walk in them...(Ephesians 2:20)" . St James says that they contribute to our faith: " You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only (alone)...James 2:24." Thus when we do living works, we seek to bring glory to God, not to ourselves, thru what we do, and we rely upon the strength and grace of God.

So going back to that verse about no fornicators and homosexuals will inherit the kingdom of God it means living a life of self-glorification and disobedience to God. We live for Christ and little by little die to self (We must decrease and He must increase ....John 3:30) and let Christ the God Man to live in us (...it is no longer I who lives but christ who lives in me" ...Galatians 2:20) .

Please pray for this sinful and stubborn gamuz!!!

• hey defender! wat ever happened to this verse of the day thing? am i gonna have to start it by myself? oh well here is today's verse of the day:

Luke 21:18
    "But not a hair of your head shall be lost."

Shows how powerful God really is huh. :)
  • Hey Coptic_Avengar,

Yup sure, how about this, you take one day I take the other:

June 17th-Coptic Avenger
    June 18th-Defender
    June19th-C A
    June 20th-D
    June 21st-C A

and so on...

Deal?
  • Can i get a commentary on this one?

Colossians 2:16, 17

So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,
    which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

its a little confusing to me....is it saying not to think differently of people because of what they do on festivals or sabbaths, etc.?

[i have a lot more verses that i have questions on..i just don't have the time.]

pray for me
  • Alright, then how about we have a day for people to post whatever verse they wanna ask about, so new schedule:

June 17th: Coptic Avenger
    June 18th: Defender
    June 19th: People
    June 20th: Coptic Avengar
    June 21st:Defender
    June 22nd:People
    June 23rd: Coptic Avengar
    June 24th: Defender
    June 25th: People
    June 26th: Coptic Avenger
    June 27th: Defender
    June 28th(Student Council results, please pray for me) and we'll see how it goes..

Defender
  • I believe this verse is saying don't worry about the physical or things of substance because in His glory, He puts those things in the shadows, for He is much greater than any of them. It's just that we're no longer bound to them any longer; because they were just put in place to prepare us for Christ's coming, and after He came, we're judged to a greater standard than just the technicalities of religion..
  • makes perfect sense...ok, next verse..

Acts 15:28,29
    For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay ipon you no greater burden than these necessary things: that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.

well i understand a lot of these 2 verses, but what makes me ponder [new word :)] is "Abstain....from things strangled." That threw me off...any ideas?...
  • Thats a great verse!
  • Guys, please, stick with the schedule.

Anyways,

Verse of the Day of June 18th:

Psalm 118
    23This was the LORD's doing;
    It is marvelous in our eyes.
    24This is the day the LORD has made;
    We will rejoice and be glad in it.

25Save now, I pray, O LORD;
    O LORD, I pray, send now prosperity.

I am so happy, I'm being ordained, Please for me!

Defender
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father + and the Son + and the Holy Spirit +. Amen. [/glow]

The meaning of abstaining from animals who have been strangled means animals who have not been ritualistically slaughtered according to the Law of Moses (Leviticus 17). Blood was seen as sacred to atonement:

"(RSV) Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood; and I have given it for you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement, by reason of the life."

Blood was poured on the ground as a means of reverence for it:

"(RSV) Deuteronomy 12:16 Only you shall not eat the blood; you shall pour it out upon the earth like water."

If an animal was slaughtered to in the unritualistic fashion the person was " excommunicated" from his people:

" (RSV) Leviticus 17:4 ...and does not bring it to the door of the tent of meeting, to offer it as a gift to the Lord before the tabernacle of the Lord, bloodguilt shall be imputed to that man; he has shed blood; and that man shall be cut off from among his people."

So how did this apply to Acts 15;29? Are Christians supposed to not eat meat that hasn't been ritualistically killed? As far as I know, (hopefully others can further elaborate), the Law of Moses reminded the Jews that they were to live HOLY lives according to His precepts. This is because the Jews believed that God lived WITH them! Holiness, in fact, might be defined according to the Judaic mentality , as awareness for and respect for the Divine Presence, surrounding people everywhere! So by following His commandments, it was believed they were being holy as He is Holy ( Leviticus 11:44).

Thus, God was supposed to "rub off" on the people. Of course, we are now holy becuase of the LAMB of God and His Blood shed for us. This together by living according to His precepts, as found in Holy Tradition, is the main emphasis of no eating the meat from strangled animals. In the Holy Scriptures, we see all foods are permissible to us, but Blood should be a reminder of the awesome sacrifice done on the Cross by our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ! Holiness is the focus here brother Paulh. Please forgive me if i havent answered your question Paulh. :'(.

• Please be advised that their is a website dedicated to providing the "Verse of the Day", it has a Daily email from the Bible amongst other things...

http://www.votdonline.com

• Thanks so much, Maged ;D

God Bless your service.

Mike
  • Hey guys,
    I think this thread is kinda dead but I found this awesome verse...and I think verse of the day should go on...

Isaiah 53
    4Surely He has borne our griefs
    And carried our sorrows;
    Yet we esteemed Him stricken,
    Smitten by God, and afflicted.
    5But He was wounded for our transgressions,
    He was bruised for our iniquities;
    The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
    And by His stripes we are healed.
    6All we like sheep have gone astray;
    We have turned, every one, to his own way;
    And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all

OMG! What a verse, what more proof do we need, it's so awesome... :'(

Michael Henain
  • In the Name of the Holy Trinity, the One True God. Amen.

Verse for July 7th:

Luke 10
    The Seventy Return with Joy
    17 Then the seventy[5] returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name."
    18And He said to them, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. 20Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather[6] rejoice because your names are written in heaven."

Khen Bekhrestos Icos BenShois,

Mike
  • In the Name of the Holy Trinity the One True God. Amen.

Verses for July 8th:

Romans 8
    From Suffering to Glory
    18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. 24For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.
    26Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us[2] with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
    28And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

Khen Bikhristos Icos Benchois,

Mike
  • Guys, just to let you know CopticChurch.Net has a verse of the day, along with daily readings from the Katamoros, and the ability to have the verse of the day sent to your cell phone.

And Maged already said:
    [quote author=Maged link=board=1;threadid=292;start=15#msg5213 date=1088380729]

Please be advised that their is a website dedicated to providing the "Verse of the Day", it has a Daily email from the Bible amongst other things...

http://www.votdonline.com

• "But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the kingdom of God." Luke 9:27

I believe this verse is referring to hypocrites who allow themselves to think they are pure, and show this on the outside, yet hide all their sins and blemishes on the inside. I'm not sure about this, does anybody have any suggestions?
  • yeh, thats wat i thought it meant,
    well put LHM
    death i think it refering to there sorta second death, there entry into hell.