Orthodox Church Father Quotes

Comments

• Misuse of God's Gifts

St. Maximus the Confessor

+ " Nothing created by God is evil. It is not food that is evil but gluttony, not the begetting of children but unchastity, not material things but avarice, nott esteem but self-esteem. It is only the misuse of things that is evil, not the things themselves. "
  • Know No Fear

St. Symeon the New Theologian

When a man walks in the fear of God he knows no fear, even if he were to be surrounded by wicked men. He has the fear of God within him and wears the invincible armor of faith. This makes him strong and able to take on anything, even things which seem difficult or impossible to most people. Such a man is like a giant surrounded by monkeys, or a roaring lion among dogs and foxes. He goes forward trusting in the Lord and the constancy of his will to strike and paralyze his foes. He wields the blazing club of the Word in wisdom.
  • The sin of pride

St. Isaac the Syrian

+ “ Brother, do not think that the prayers, the readings, the prostration, the fasting and the sweet tears are the work with God. Believe me, in my opinion, even the vile thoughts, false praise, blasphemy, adultery and fornication, that come from the enemy to the one who struggles and for which he grieves and struggles, God rewards him as for the virtues. But the thoughts of pride, may the Lord’s right hand protect us from them, for by them he renounces grace if he continues in them. “
  • .On the Priesthood

St. John Chrysostom

+ “ The work of the Priesthood is done on earth, but it is ranked among heavenly ordinance. And this only right, for no man, no angel, no archangel, no other created power, but the Paraclete Himself ordained this succession, and persuaded men, while still remaining in the flesh to represent the ministry of angels. “
  • BIBLE READING

Fr. Mikhail E. Mikhail

"A chapter a day keeps the devil away." ;D
  • IC XC NIKA

Just as a strongly flowing fountain is not blocked up by a handful of earth, so the compassion of the Creator is not overcome by the wickedness of His creatures. - St. Isaac of Syria

in Christ,
    shawn
  • Guarding the one’s inner peace

St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

+ “ Watch yourself with all diligence, lest the enemy steal near and rob you, depriving you of this great treasure, which is inner peace and stillness of soul. The enemy strives to destroy the peace of the soul, because he knows that when the soul is in turmoil it is more easily led to evil. But you must guard your peace. "
  • "Let us hold fast, therefore, to prayer and humility, for together with watchfulness they act like a burning sword against the demons. If we do this, we shall daily and hourly be able to celebrate a secret festival of joy within our hearts."

+ St. Hesychios the Priest. +
  • "In your heart be like an emperor, seated high in humility, commanding laughter: 'Go!' and it goes; and sweet weeping: 'Come!' and it comes; and our tyrant and slave, the body: 'Do this!' and it does it."

+ St. John Climacus. +
  • Repentance is the way and the key to the Kingdom of Heaven, without which no one can enter into it. Let us keep to this path, O brethren: for the path now in this short life is narrow and afflicted, but later in that endless future life there shall be abundant and unutterable rewards.

+ St. Alexander Svirsky +

Remember your weakness, then you will be more cautious and you will not submit to the thoughts of pride and false glory.

+ H.H. Pope Shenouda III +

• St. Mary- Our New Eve

St. Justin Martyr

+- " The Son of God became man through the Virgin, that the disobedience caused by the serpent might be destroyed in the same way it had originated."

St. Irenaeus

+- "Just as Eve, while wife of Adam, was still a virgin and became by her disobedience the cause of death of herself and of the whole human race; so Mary too, espoused yet a virgin, became by her obedience the cause of salvation of both herself and the whole human race."

St Ambrose

+- " Eve is called Mother of the human race, but Mary, Mother of Salvation."
  • Virgin St. Mary, surname " The Bride "

Pope Gregory the Great

+ “ He united the Holy Church to Him, through the mystery of the Incarnation. Now, the bridal chamber of this Bridegroom was the womb of the Virgin Mother. “

St. Augustine

+ “ The Word is joined to flesh; the Word is wedded to flesh, and the bridal chamber of this exalted marriage is your womb. “
  • St. Mary's Motherhood and the Word of God

St. Augustine

+ " Mary conceived in her mind before she conceived in her body. Mary's motherhood would have been of no profit to her if she had not joyfully born Christ in her heart."
  • Saint Arsenius

"Many times have I spoken and regretted it, but silence I never regretted"
  • st.paul said:"to st the mind to the flesh is death"
  • st.paul:"for the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to god"
  • st.paul:"if by the spirit you put on death the deads of the body you will live"
  • st.paul:"those who aren't in the flesh cannot please god"
  • now the works of the flesh are manifestwhich are these adultery,fornication,uncleanness,iasciviousness.
    idolary,whichcraft,hatred,variance,emulations,strife,
    sedition,heresis,envving,murder,drunkness,revellings,
    and such like:of the which i tell you before,as i have in the time past,that they which do such things shall not inhiret the kingdom of god.

that was by st.paul
    gal("5:19-21)
  • does any one have any quotes about the orthodox church and/or faith. i really need them for something im doing for church. thanx
  • THE ANGELIC LIFE
    THE VIRGIN MARY
    and the Other Virgins in Different Ages

St. Ambrose referring to the words of St. Paul

[glow=red,2,300]He had no commmandment, but he had an example. For virginity cannot be commanded, but must be wished for, for things which are above us are matters for prayers rather than under mastery.[/glow]

St. John Chrystom

[glow=red,2,300]Had it been a commandment it would have been a sin to tresspass it; but whoever gollows a good thing.[/glow]

• nice one!
  • Holy Spirit Abides in Peace Not Anger

If the Holy Spirit is peace of soul, as He is said to be and as He is in reality, and if anger is disturbance of heart, as it actually is and as it is said to be, then nothing so prevents His presence in us as anger.

Thank you Coptic-Irini, and thanks again for the resources!!
  • To be a true Christian

Saint Athanasius the Apostolic

The whole world is against you, "And I too am against the whole world"
  • Hi guys! how r all of you. I haven't posted in quite a bit which is a relieve for most of you...with the constant headaches I'm so good at providing. But I found this arabic letter in the "Paradise of monks" and I tried translating it...I hope i did an ok job and I hope u all benefit from it.

Do You still Question My Love?

My Child:
       With eternal love I have loved you, thus, I have protected you from many evil temptations that occupied you, and I had compassion upon you by My blessing and choice. I have granted you and given you wisdom, that guided you in intense situations, I took care of your matters, and granted you overwhelming happiness. I strengthened you when you were weak, and from many tribulations I have delivered you. I taught you, I have advised you, and still in front of Me, this is nothing. So do not thank Me for it, for My love demands that I do this for your sake.
       You rejected me, swore at me, lied to me, thought evil against me, denied me in front of people, belittled Me in the eyes of My enemies. I was obedient in your sight, Yet you caused Me misery. You left My ways, you resisted Me, and made Me bare what I did not want from you. You made my sadness unutterable, and embarrassed Me in numerous situations. All this I will not count nor consider, for you did it out of ignorance and in unbelief.
       I came down from My Kingdom taking the form of a servant, and became like man, and was found in Divinity. Like man, became hungry and could not find that which would fill me, when from Me came all the blessings. I was thirsty, and could not find the one to give Me drink, even though I created the seas. No place to lay My head, though I have created holes for foxes and the air for the birds.
       I was saddened for you, and wept much for you, I suffered bitterly for your sake. And what did I get in the end? I was captured, and falsely accused, even though I committed no evil, and in My mouth no lie could be found.
       They slapped Me, and with lashes torn at My body, and even My hair they grabbed with violence. They ripped My garment and mocked Me. They forced a crown of thorns on My head. They bowed to Me in mockery, they spit on My face and with a rod they hit Me on the head, till the thorns dug deep within my skull. AND ON THE WOOD OF SHAME THREW ME. They nailed My hands and My feet and lifted Me for all to see. And I was as a lamb who was slaughtered. Silent was I in front of all, and opened My mouth not as if I was cut out of the world and became like vapour. All My bones were separated. My heart became like a candle, melted among my emotions. They gave Me vinegar to drink, along with its bitter taste. They cursed Me, so I blessed them, and asked for their forgiveness and granted them mercy. All this I endured because I love you. Do you then question My love?
       Come close and do not fear, give Me your heart and I will return it to you like new. Give Me your life, so that I may move you from darkness to the light and from death to life. I will make you a child of God and share My inheritance and My Kingdom with you. All this, so that your sadness may become joy, and give you hope, your worries into gains, and your fear into peace. I will put a new hymn in your mouth.
       I will carry you, and in the days of hunger feed you. So do not worry or fear tonight, and you shall succeed in your path. You shall not be tormented in the process. And on your side thousands shall fall, and to your right dominions will tremble. FOR I AM WITH YOU. Therefore, I will deliver you, and carry you and bring you into My heart and I will put My left arm under your head, and My right arm will embrace you. I will guard you from him who hates good, and I will return his poison back to him and bring him under your feet. And thus, I shall conclude your life, with righteous days, blessed and joyful. And to My glory I will bring you. By My side you will find richness, and comfort and peace.
    Do you still question My love?
    Come now and do not reject my invitation this time, for I am waiting for you.
    Your Love- Jesus.
  • psalmist thanks so much for sharing that, it is so beautiful, ....it really touched my heart :)
  • "Praying for the peace of the church is the prayer that survived for centuries, in the mouth of the faithful."
    His Holiness Pope Shenuoda III
  • "As Christ has been lifted up, we always lift up our eyes to where Christ sits on the right hand of his Father, till he comes back once more on the clouds, to take us to Him. Then we will be lifted up with no decent."
    His Holiness Pope Shenouda III
  • "The Church represents the kingdom of God on earth, which will be extended to the heavenly kingdom. It represents the source of faith and God's dwelling with the people."

His Holiness Babba Abba Shenouda The Third