Why is it always US and THEM

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hello from downunder,

Just spent some time reading through some forums... and one theme that always seems to keep reappearing is the concept of us and them when we (as Orthodox christians) talk about other christian denominations.

It sometime come accross that we feel we are better than other denominations and thats a little scary for me.

Opinions? Comments?

Mark

Comments

• Dear marksef:

Christ told us to love our enemies.....so you're right: how much more should we love those who "left our ranks"?

Obviously we shouldn't think we're better than anybody, but we should recognize that Orthodoxy has the fullness of truth (everything in Orthodoxy is true, but not necessarily vice versa), whereas other denominations do not (they affirm things which are not true). Not to mention that Protestant denominations are outside Apostolic succession, thereby rendering the validity of their sacraments, if not invalid, then at least questionable (although, since they think the Sacraments are only "symbolic" anyway, then I guess to them it doesn't matter).

• lol dude u just contradicted yourself we r talkin bout not to do tht and u sed i agree then u did it agen.

we r all equal in Gods eyes, and we are all christian and we all blive in Jesus Christ the Son of God and He has died and risen for us so there shood b no judgement coz we share the concrete of our faith but the pillars are different shapes and colours so its not bout what we think bout them rather we are supposed toconcentrate on what we are and how to improve

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!
  • [quote author=FULLY RELY ON GOD link=board=10;threadid=1970;start=0#msg30399 date=1120396390]
    lol dude u just contradicted yourself we r talkin bout not to do tht and u sed i agree then u did it agen.

we r all equal in Gods eyes, and we are all christian and we all blive in Jesus Christ the Son of God and He has died and risen for us so there shood b no judgement coz we share the concrete of our faith but the pillars are different shapes and colours so its not bout what we think bout them rather we are supposed toconcentrate on what we are and how to improve

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!

Amen
  • Hey every1...im also from downunder btw mark

Ovcourse we are all loved equally by God and we should never think we r better than ours but i guess the reason we say "US" and "THEM" is because we differentiate between different demoninations. The reason we r copts and not catholic or protestant etc is because we believe the coptic orthodox church/belief gives us the best and closest and most direct path to God. ( We r not copts just cos we were born as copts).

God bless

Peter
  • im from down under as well lol

yar thas true good stuff
  • [quote author=Eh Ya Botros link=board=10;threadid=1970;start=0#msg30551 date=1120449868]
    Hey every1...im also from downunder btw mark

Ovcourse we are all loved equally by God and we should never think we r better than ours but i guess the reason we say "US" and "THEM" is because we differentiate between different demoninations. The reason we r copts and not catholic or protestant etc is because we believe the coptic orthodox church/belief gives us the best and closest and most direct path to God. ( We r not copts just cos we were born as copts).

Peter

But thats my exact point... we believe that Coptic Orthodox is the best way.... for many reasons. You state we are not Copts just because we are born Copts but I despute that.

I recon most of us are Copts because we were born Copts. Why would anyone change to another Christian denomination without a reason. I think most of the reasons people change churches are related to non-belief related issues such are marriage, music, culture, tradition, etc. Not based on if we believe in peratory or the nature of Christ... etc

Don't forget that the Catholic church for example is apostolic as the Coptic Orthodox church is and the Catholic Church has a congregations numbering in the billions.

So my point again is... We are all Christian... there is not "Them and US"

Sef
  • i really like the words that you are saying....I recon most of us are Copts because we were born Copts. Why would anyone change to another Christian denomination without a reason. I think most of the reasons people change churches are related to non-belief related issues such are marriage, music, culture, tradition, etc. Not based on if we believe in peratory or the nature of Christ... etc

this part is true and right at the same time... we all belive in god and we are all coptic orthodox! this is a good topic by the way...
    basketball :D

• look guys, the thing we love every1 etc etc, but we dont have to agree with other denominations, i.e protestant, catholic...
    a book by his grace Pope Shenuda, "the ten concepts" stated that a true friend and christian must be firm in dealing with others in the wrong, the right thing is not to pat them on the back and say its ok, he said we must be strong and rebuke them, for this is true love.
    in another book from his grace, "the holy zeal", it states that we should search for the salvation of others, im not saying this is demeaning other denominations, throwing stones at them and spitting on them, im saying we defend our faith with firmness, and true love.
    we do have the best belief, u may think that that is a very partial comment, but history, the bible, and unity i.e not separating, states otherwise.
  • Hey mark,

i understand what ur saying but saying US and THEM isnt to demean the other denominations -it is differentiating between other Christians and copts. I think it is important to do this...unfortunately it is not acceptable to group all denominations together as "Christians". Truly the coptic orthodox faith is the the greatest faith, the most direct to God. But ofcourse we should love and respect others.

I heard this from an Abouna once, "We (Christians) all drink tea but copts drink tea with sugar."

God Bless

Pete
  • umm yar i agree wih eh ya botros.

the last bit lol :) thats a nice way of putting it :)

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!
  • [quote author=Eh Ya Botros link=board=10;threadid=1970;start=0#msg30727 date=1120535924]
    Truly the coptic orthodox faith is the the greatest faith, the most direct to God.

I heard this from an Abouna once, "We (Christians) all drink tea but copts drink tea with sugar."

Morning all,

Its the above lines that I have most problem with. I love my God, and I believe that I am most blessed by being Christian.

BUT... There is not advantage in the eyes of God to being Coptic. How can there be? Gos see all people as equal and judges them each individually. God's chosen people were the Jewish people. They rejected Christ and there are many biblical verses that talk about their rejection and the consequences.

So I must question the Tea with sugar example as the only reason our Coptic Christianty tastes sweet to us is we live it. Other denominations love their Christianity in the same way and would make the same comment.

Sef
  • Hi.. I agree with all.

My point of view is that God judges all of us indivudally, and that saying that "Coptic Cristianity is the best" is a saying because we all have our individual opinions and therefore, whoever u meet from a different religion will argue that thier religion is the best because it is an opinion...

God bless all

Bishoy
  • Hi guys...

I know what u mean by "Other denominations love their Christianity in the same way" and although it sounds that im only saying Coptic Orthodox faith is the richest faith because im a copt this is not the case. We had a youth meeting on this topic and the guy giving the talk (he is so amazing...he like knows the whole bible back-to-front) was explaining to us how to demonstrate why the coptic orthodox faith is RICHER than any other denomination NOT FROM OUR PERSPECTIVE!! Amazing huh? I strongly recommend that u talk to someone in ur church who has studied a theological course and knows the bible well...im sure they will convince u about wat im saying- this is a VERY IMPORTANT issue that u should understand about why should we b copts. Otherwise why should we b copts...we could just take the 'easy way out' in another denomination.

God bless

Pete

PS When u question other denominations u only get more questions...when u question copts u get answers

PPS We we given one of the greatest blessings of being born copts- thank God....we shouldnt undermine this blessing by saying most denominations r as good as each other
  • Hey im here in orlando florida and my sunday school teachers say the same thing....ive thought about it 2...we r 100% that all our stuff is true...but so do they....and they have facts behind it...im not sayin i dont believe...im sayin it gets hard sometimes...of course were not better then anyone else but u have 2 admit that we are right and they r wrong...straight up!!
    [move]Monica[/move]
  • [quote author=Monica101 link=board=10;threadid=1970;start=0#msg31988 date=1121118393]
    .of course were not better then anyone else but u have 2 admit that we are right and they r wrong...straight up!!
    [move]Monica[/move]

umm no. that is not neccaserilly right yes we are right and we shoodnt judge its not up to us
    there is a joke that goes st peter went to heaven and he asked the angel to show him around so there were a group of pplz that were around a garden and he goes who are they and the angel sed it was the protestants having a BBQ and then they walked over and there were a grooup of ppl next to a pond and peter goes hu r they? and the angel goes its the catholics having some lunch together, then there was a big building lyk invinsible wit ppl in it and then peter goes hu is in there? and then the angel goes its the copts shhhh.. they think they r the only 1ns in heaven

c that just shows wat u sed above

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!
  • No effence but i dont think its right 2 make jokes about this stuff.
    [move]Monica[/move]
  • We have an area here in the UK called Yorkshire. The people from there always say that they are Yorkshire men first and English men second.
    One cannot play Cricket for Yorshire unless you are born there and preferably with an Anglo Saxon name with fair skin.
    What can I say, look at those idiots responsible for the London bombings they came from there!
    Certainly fundemantlisim is not a healthy thing.

As for religion, I personally call my self a Christian first and an Orthodox second.
    Simply did Jesus speak about Orthodox, Catholics, Protestants, Batpists, etc....?

The beauty of our religion is that we accept all including those outside our faith. As you can immagine here in the UK muslims are getting the one over since the bombings. Certianly the country is begining to look closely at those that are not born here or may be a different shade of white. Naturally many of us are worried through fear of resplisels for being mistaken for not being a Christain. I always have a cross in my car but I am seriously thinking about putting a second one.