Adam and the original sin

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
HEy guys,
Im pretty new to this forum stuff as u can see but after reading all you guy's stuff, i thought id ask u this question...

U know adams original sin of eating the apple, I heard that maybe it doesnt have to b a real apple but adam could have just desired to b like GOd...I never though of it that way...but i still dunno

what do u guys think

Peter from Adelaide SA

Comments

• Peter,
    Welcome to a wonderful site and a GREAT family that is spread across the Globe. Hope you enjoy your time with us.

Our refrense here in this discussion (just like any discussion) is the Bible. Here is the verse.

"Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die." (Genesis 2: 15-17)

It is clear that there was a Garden and there was an actuall tree of knowledge of good and evil. no symbolizim here. The Bible however does not tell us that it was an appel tree, in fact we don't knwo what kind of fruit.

So Adam Ate from A tree but we have no idea what kind thus breaking God's commandment. The original sin was not the eating it was disobaying God and breaking His commandment.

I hope my 2 cents help.
  • i wonder why people always say it's an apple
    maybe cause it looked pretty on paintings lol
  • I could be wrong, but one theory why people thought it was an apple because since that garden was in the Iraq, Iran region apples (if I am not mistaken) are a popular fruit there because of weather conditions. But we dont' know for sure what kind of fruit it was.
  • in holland we grow some great apples too lol

but yeah, that's a good explanation actually, thnx copticboy. The apple is also one of the most common fruits, so that would be the first one to think off. It's not logic to have Eve seduced by a whole bateekha rite? ;D
  • it will be alot harder to eat since you have to peal it (try that with no knife)
  • I could be wrong, but one theory why people thought it was an apple because since that garden was in the Iraq, Iran region apples (if I am not mistaken) are a popular fruit there because of weather conditions. But we dont' know for sure what kind of fruit it was.

isnt the garden of eden in paradise... which is not on earth?
  • hi
    no it's on earth was in iraq erea.. I do not know where exactly ..
    but after adam sin he could'nt be able to enter it again and it become like invesable for the people ....bible said it like an engle gard stand on the edan door....so it's not in heaven..
  • u make me laugh so hard hoas erof
  • why are you guys saying that it is not his fault all of us sin but god forgive because he came to forgive our sins

if anyone see something different please correct?
  • Adam's sin was in not fulfilling the function that he was created for...

Adam was created out of matter and given life through the Breath of God which internalized in him the Grace of the Holy Spirit. As such, it was his role to link the purely material world with the purely spiritual world since he contained a bit of both. He was to do so through the constant seeking of further communion with God. THAT is the key....FURTHER COMMUNION with God.

When the Serpent approached Eve, it asked her if it was true that God prohibited her from eating of the Tree. The Serpent succeeded in turning Eve away from all of God's blessings and made her focus on God's prohibition. That in and of itself constitutes a step in the wrong direction, i.e. AWAY from God as opposed to TOWARDS God. Some interpretations say that this THE SIN and that by the time Eve had already eaten from the tree she had already fallen because she was no longer seeking communion with God. Her thoughts had turned to something else, namely becoming God.

Ironically, through the continual seeking of further communion with God, Adam and Eve could have acheived glory much greater than they could have eating from the tree. Their bodies were created with the potential of taking them to spiritual heights through their continual seeking of communion with God to the point where they could have deified themselves (Theosis in Greek) and deified the entire creation with them.

If anyone is interested in this topic further, let me know and I can send you references from Orthodox websites (some coptic some greek) regarding this topic.
  • dat was gr8 PharoK ;D