Descent into Hades

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello & nofry shai :)

I was trying to find some verses from the Bible about Our Lord Jesus Christ's descent into Hades to rescue the righteous ones who had been waiting for Their Savior.

I'm thinking that the gospels don't mention this event because it's not anything which was witnessed by the four evangelists...

thanks a lot,
acopt

Comments

• nofri shai to u too

here are some verses:

Ephesians 4:9 - (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

Rev 20:1-3) And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. 2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, 3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

i'm not 100% sure if this angel referred to Christ, but at least this verse speaks about someone descending and shutting the devil for the millenional reign (the period after the cross untill the release of the devil at the end of times)
  • This is an interesting read:
    The Descent into Hades
    (From the Apocryphal Texts)

http://www.suscopts.org/stmaryhouston/lit/stories/hades.txt

• Hello acopt,

There is mention to the place where the righteous people of the old testement were waiting for the coming of Christ in 1 peter chapter 3 :

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
    19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
    20 Which sometime were disobedient,

Good two verses, Hos Erof
  • All of these readings are so fresh in my brain, first of all I read the revelation part in Abo Ghalamsees and I also read the Pauline in the Easter Mass.

Mike
  • Thank you very much to everyone :)

Kulli-sana wintum tayyibeen!
  • thnx safaa, i had been looking for ever to find that verse lol
    couldnt remember where it was. I thought there was another verse in the epistles of st peter but i couldnt find it either, but then again, maybe it was st paul :-X lol