Spirit Saves, Words Don't

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
The other day we were having some discussions, and one of my friends made the comment:

"The spirit saves, words don't," in the sense that following the spirit of the Bible, and the spirit of Christianity saves, but if we get too caught up in the exactness of the commandments and in arguing the details, we lose focus of our goal - Christ.

Some things to think about:

I also remembered that the our Youth Meeting Servant always told us that taking one verse from the Bible to support a point is a very dangerous game because often the verse is taken out of context and used to support an incorrect view. He used to always stress that when using verses to support a point, we have to always use it in context with the "spirit of the whole Bible."

During the temptation in the wilderness, Satan used verses from the Bible to tempt Jesus. Once again, they were out of context.

I think this following of the words, rather than the spirit, is what led the Pharisees astray. It led them so far astray that they were some of the most condemned, if not the most condemned, people by Christ.

What do you all think of this? How much should we focus on the words? How do we train ourself to always act in the spirit of the Bible rather than just follow individual commandments?

Comments

• Beshoy...thats righteous. (Wah wah yea booooooooy wa7steney yea khal, 3ayzen neshof weshak bekaher ye weld el 3em) :P:D::D
  • :) rightio psalmist boy wats wit the gypo ness lol

hay beshoy thats heeps good and true and beneficial thnx lotz for sharing my brother ;) :D

keep sending us blessings

GBU ALL :) ;) :D ;D
    +FROG+
  • the truth is me and beshoy go back...and especially with (OM KALLALA WELDET) its a pretty funny, and dumb at the same time. WOAH WOAH YEA BOOOOOOOOOY
  • Not much more to add..just follow Christ and don't concentrate so much on every little detail.

gypo? hmm..Aussie huh? ;)
  • Hey guys,

Beshoy, these are the exact words I try to tell all those who like arguing about verses a lot. There's a quote said in Egypt that says something like this: The simple men shall ascend to the heavens while the philosophers debate on earth.

Mike
  • thank you for your replies guys. I think I heard a similar saying Coptic Defender...something like "while all the theologians are debating various theological points, all the simple people are going to heaven."

I guess the main point i was trying to make in starting this thread was really that we should always keep the "spirit of the Bible and of Christianity" in mind while debating on this, and other, websites. St. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13:

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Those are very strong words. I know if I had faith that can move mountains and I had all knowledge I would think I was on top of the world. According to St. Paul, though, if I didn't have love as well, I would be NOTHING. Thats really serious...In the eyes of God, I would literally be NOTHING.

So, point at hand, unlike the Pharisees, in protecting our faith, we should not get caught up in the wrong details, and miss the whole point of Christ's teachings, "[disqualifying ourselves from the race]." No doubt protecting our faith and beliefs is very important, but if we lose all Christian character in trying to protect it, then we have just harmed it. So wisdom is really the key.

There is a very nice story of how a deacon yelled at some construction worker for doing something wrong (if i remember right...) and St. Makarious, when he passed the same construction worker, he commended his strength and effort before criticizing him, resulting in the construction worker listening to the Saint, and eventually becoming Christian. (if anyone has the exact story, please do share...) Wisdom, care, and Christian love are necessary when trying to make a religious point, especially if its in protecting our faith.

This is really not meant specifically for this forum...I have just read many threads on several websites recently that made me lose my peace and act in a rash manner myself, so I just thought I should share what I myself am trying to learn.

a sinner.
  • (ya 3am Psalmist....ya 3omdaaaa!! leek wa7sha ya akhoooy men el se3eed!! insha2allah ha shoofak orayeb, we nghany om kalla weldet we saba3 el leil!! hahah. tayeb ya sheikh el balad, el Rab yegma3na be kher!)
  • Men foumak le bab el 3ama2 yea ma3alem. Amen. Hatneouar koul mississauja yea khal.
  • [quote author=Coptic Defender link=board=1;threadid=1344;start=0#msg22457 date=1111544811]
    The simple men shall ascend to the heavens while the philosophers debate on earth.

Mike

I really like that..a lot!

I hope nobody turns on me for saying this because i'm not saying anything to go against the church but i do respect the puritan protestants for trying to find a way in which we can worship God in a simpler way
  • cremdelescrem i agree with. my personally belief is because we belive in the infalliablity of the Faith of the Coptic Chruch and its docterins, then every question will have an answer. and I personally love debating for abyone who knows me. Ask on....knowledge is the path to truth and the fear of the Lord is the begining of wisdom and therfore the fear of the Lord is the path of the Truth. :D
  • Hey Crem...etc.,

Well I do believe that the protestant church is trying to make Chritianty easier for people but is this really right? The Bible assures us that without deeds faith is dead and without faith, deeds are dead.

Protestants have succeeded in accomplishing 2 things, convincing themselves that without deeds they could enter the Kingdom of Heaven. 2. changing the traditions and history to fit today's needs.

In bioth cases they have tried to correct a mistake by doing a bigger mistake.

Mike
  • [quote author=Coptic Defender link=board=1;threadid=1344;start=0#msg22515 date=1111642050]
    Hey Crem...etc.,

Well I do believe that the protestant church is trying to make Chritianty easier for people but is this really right? The Bible assures us that without deeds faith is dead and without faith, deeds are dead.

Protestants have succeeded in accomplishing 2 things, convincing themselves that without deeds they could enter the Kingdom of Heaven. 2. changing the traditions and history to fit today's needs.

In bioth cases they have tried to correct a mistake by doing a bigger mistake.

Mike

not at all! and i'm not talking about the people around you who are christian by name but don't really know what their religion is about at all. They do believe that it takes both faith and good deeds to enter heaven. They changed nothing to fit today's world and if ANY religion has done that maybe its catholicism. And perhaps you're looking at cultural differences and not even spiritual differences. The pious protestants that i know are frankly the most religous, humble, benevolent, and faithful people i have ever met. I'd much rather be a humble protestant than an egotistical copt. Your point of view cannot be "my religion is the best", actually it has to be "my God, my Father who art in heaven, is the best, Jesus Christ is the best". Religious protestants ALWAYS have that mindset, do you? Also, i never said they try to make it easier, i said they try to make it simpler which isn't the same thing. They were trying to purify it by keeping God as the main goal and not making little pit stops over the tiny things which don't matter as much.

-i don't want to start debating because debates lacking conduct always go in circles but thats just my opinion.