Priest causes harm?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey guys, as we all know, not every priest has to be a good person. He's human and can sin also. What about the people that confess to him? Would it be of any harm to them spiritually? I mean, they can be like, abouna does it so I can too. Just wondering. I have a great father of confession ;D

Comments

• well how wud they kno wut abouna does and wut his sins r??? plz explain.. and plus how is it gonna harm the confesser if they kno that abouna is a human being and he too sins?? ??? :-* :-* :-*
  • hey...
    priests are called by God to serve Him, so, for the most part, they are chosen carefully.

there are times when perhaps the priest wont live up to his expectations, but as you said, he's human and can sin.

all depending on the sin, usually the priest can 'hide' it or not show his weakness infront of everyone, because he is trying to preach salvation and such.

he is supposed to set and example for his congregation, but as well, the congregation is supposed to know that he's got his limits.

im sure abouna doesnt stand infront of his children and do wrong infront of them to make them stumble, but only out of his weakness it happens.
    i guess if its influencing anyone, the church should pray for him and that God may strengthen him and help him shepherd His flock.
    our Lord tells us "My strength is made perfect in weakness..." [Corinthians], so lets use that to our advantage!
    if there is a problem, prayer can solve anything and everything, so pray for the priest!

(lil church pride here hehe..) id just like to add our church has been blessed with amazing priests and i hope God keeps them strong in Him for us!
    i hope you're all enjoying these blessings :D

take care and God bless!
  • Hi

One of the church fathers wrote a letter to his sons who live away from his church and he said to them:
    The church is a hospital. who feels good does not need it. it is only for the sick people who seeking God healing Even Abouna himself go to the church to ask for his own sins but not only his own sins but also, for his sons' sins.

Does that help?

Peace and love
  • Yea, priests all have original sin, you're right. But, the devil tempts everyone in different ways depending on their weaknesses. i.e. Layman can be tempted with fame and fortune, but you wouldnt expect abouna to be tempted by such things. Abouna can be tempted while praying, i.e. laziness, tiredness, doubting his faith. These are different from our sins. Priests have a stronger relationship with God, so if anything, the devil would want to tempt them from praying, or from reading the bible or even praying a mass. See what i mean, how the devil directs his temptations differently depending on the person? So, i guess you could say priests are sinful, yes, BUT, they do have less material sins than we do because they live their life fully for the Lord. They dont busy themselves with the world so the devil has a harder time tempting them. That is why we consider priests as spiritual advisors; they are trying to live a life in accordance to God's teachings.

I hope I helped. GB++

• Guys,ý
    I would like to share a story with you that somewhat relates to the topic. I read it in a ýbook somewhere, It was nice to read and kinda stuck to my mind. I read it in Arabic, so I ýam doin the best I could to translate.ý
    This guy, some layman, saw a priest committing a sin. He was troubled by this so much ýand was wondering, " How can God allow this to happen? How will he (the priest) pray ýliturgy? etc..." Sunday came around and that guy was still troubled. He went to church ýearly to see if this priest would show up. He saw him coming into the church. When he ýý(the priest) entered, he was as if a black cover veil covered him from head to toe (not his ývestments) He began to pray. When liturgy started, an angel came down with a white rob ýor veil and covered the priest with it. After liturgy was over, the angel came down again, ýtook that white robe off and the priest went back to the original black veil. ý

The comment on the story was that God allowed the man to see this to let him know that ýthe priest is just an instrument in the hands of God. What he (the priest) does outside, ýwhile it is still wrong, does not affect the ministry which he was called for. ý

Since we are not Catholics and we don't believe in Papal or clergy infallibility, they are ýallowed to have sins (or else, why would each priest have a father of Confession?) We ýjust have to keep that in mind and not to stumble.ý

I hope this helps.ý
  • To be more exact, Abouna can get mad for instance at his wife infront of people and say something he doesn't mean. He doesn't mean it but sometimes things happen..
  • Coptic boy said:

"Since we are not Catholics and we don't believe in Papal or clergy infallibility"

With respect you seem to misunderstand the Roman Catholic doctrine of infallibility

First, it has nothing to do with sin or personal behaviour. It does not mean Roman priests are supposed to be perfect and not make mistakes. It is about the teaching authority of the church.

Second, it does not apply to the clergy in general, only to the Roman Pope AND the Bishops TOGETHER.

And third, it does not mean that everything the Pope and Bishops say is true and right, or that they never make mistakes.

What the doctrine DOES mean is that when the Pope and the Bishops speak with one voice on a matter of Dogma concerning faith or morals then the Holy Spirit protects the church from error.

I'm not saying whether the doctrine is right or wrong, just clearing up its actual meaning.