Stock market

What are your thoughts about stock market? How about day trading? I know a lot of people from church who are participating in the stock market and are making a lot of money and one of those people is actually a priest.
I am really good at it but feel guilty. Is it wrong. I really need the extra money. I don’t care much about money. I love helping people and giving others. I am just a bit tight now and need something extra.

Comments

• Why would you feel guilty?!

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. We were always taught that, if you do invest in the stock market, don't expect to make money and only do so if you are atleast covered financially for the next 6 months. It's not a quick nor a fast way to make money, specially if it's "a bit tight"
  • I feel guilty if I participate in it. Is it a sin to invest in the stock market or to do day trading?
  • Why would it be?! It's not gambling like everyone else says. You are simply putting money into a business that you think is gonna success (or fail). You are taking a risk every time you make a choice to "trade" and depending on the market and the results, you either lose or gain money.

It's a science for sure, despite if some people think that they are gambling. 

But, AGAIN, it's not for everyone and it's not for someone to just make money fast. 
  • @mcc123,

The definition of gambling is the following:
    - take risky action in the hope of a desired result.

If your sole goal is a desired result of increased money and the investment includes risk, this is defined as gambling.

If you invest with the hope of improving a company because you believe in its product, and want them to produce better products, which in turn will give you money (or may include loss), this is not gambling. All depends on your intentions and on your heart.

May God bless, protect and guide you.
  • is gambling wrong? 
  • edited November 2019
    What if it is not done with a risky action. If research is done before stocks are brought (then sold shortly after). As Minatasgeel said, it’s a science.
  • My answer was concerning gambling.
  • edited November 2019
    If your goal is money, only you can be the judge of yourself. Is there no level of risk even if well studied?

If you are doing it just for the money and finding that this feeds a root of love of money, it is better to abstain. The sin of love of money is very subtle. St. Paul warns that the love of money is the root of all evil. This surely means love of money is prevalent and grows very subtly. Speak to your father of confession on what may protect you from love of money and ask him if he finds it ok for you to invest. If you feel comfortable to invest at that point, go ahead.
  • Why is gambling wrong? 

So - what if I won a prize at a school raffle? 
  • edited November 2019
    Gambling, Lottery, Betting, Etc. are all simply wrong because you are getting money that you did not work for.
    +
    2 Thessalonians 3:10
    For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.
    +
    Say you wanted to give it to church, that money would not be accepted (and that is a known condition, you can ask anyone about that).
    If nothing is wrong with it, then why would the Church not accept it although the church needs money.
    Going off of the Apostle’s writing, the first part explains how in the time of the Early Church people had the same concerns as you and DID indeed fulfill them. Be they betting or whatever, the Apostles refused that any dishonest money be given to Christ (the Church), because Christ is Honesty.
    He now goes further to simplify and explain that whoever doesn’t work (toil/sweat), doesn’t eat (rest/relax).

These are not my words, but the words of the Holy Spirit scribed by those who have truthfully preceded us, so long ago that we still remember them.

Let us focus on greater matters that may not permit us to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
    Christ does not care about money or buildings or anything.
    +
    Matthew 6:19-21
    “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    +
    Pray for me.
  • I think gambling, betting, ... are not sin unless you do not know when to abstain. 
    Why getting money that you did not work should be wrong?
    There are cases in which you get money as a gift (for example in weedings, birthdays...), then are you sinning in this case?
    Btw people who bet and win money, i don't think that they didn't work for them, in fact i believe they did some studies beforehand, for example in a football match, they check some data about last matches or things like this, and then they decide the betting(?).

But again, this is just my opinion
  • But the lottery and raffle tickets didn't exist during the early church. Winning the lottery and working is OK. Isn't it? Working is important. Sure. But if I won say a free trip to Hawaii , what's so bad about that?? What's so bad about the Church raffle? Its fun. Everyone pays 20 euros and gets a chance to win a prize. 
  • wow u have rich people in yr church, 20 euros a ticket!
    seriously though i think it depends on yr motives, remember quickly buying and selling can destabilise the market and it usually poorer ppl who loose out.
  • edited November 2019
    This article brings valid points on gambling and the like.

https://erlc.com/resource-library/articles/a-biblical-case-against-gambling
  • When you receive a gift that is the way that the person is honouring you in.
    The same way when Christ received the gifts from the Magi, was that a sin? - No
    When you want to show someone that you love them, you gift them with something valuable.
    Ex: Christ offered himself for mankind, giving us the best Gift we needed and would ever need.

Ex: St Paul the Theban gave St Anthony his ascetic cloak. St Anthony later on have it to St Athanasius. There you go, 3 of the Church’s greatest Saints, no sin lies between what they did, and this account is still spoken of today.

When someone gives you a gift, it means that they regard you of so much value that you are worth them standing and working. You are worth the efforts they exerted!

So, No, receiving gifts is not a sin.