Opinions about the Eastern Orthodox

What are the Coptic Orthodox Christians' opinions about the Eastern Orthodox Christians? Do Coptic Christians consider the Orthodox Christians closer from a doctrinal point of view than they consider the Catholics and the Evangelicals?

Comments

• edited July 2019
    Yes. Probably more so than the Eastern Orthodox. Both sides have already expressed an understanding that they are Apostolic churches, although there are some differences from about 1,200 years without any formal dialogue.

We separated in 451, and there were various attempts to rejoin the two churches for about 400 years afterwards.

It wasn't until the 1970s that the Coptic diaspora began and there was more communication between the churches out of necessity.

I've found, coming to the Coptic church from Catholicism, that Copts tend to be, in general, more accepting of other Christians. This is probably greatly influenced by living in a Muslim country, and may I dare to say with all humility, a touch of naiveity towards other denominations.

Christians are much less segmented to a Copt than to a western Christian. Which in some ways can put our intersqualls into perspective. Although, it has lead to some contemporary issues with incorrect or, "un-Orthodox" teaching from the influence of Evangelical Christianity.

When I went to talk with the Priest who married me and my wife (we moved after we got married), he gave me a copy of, "A Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. Which is not an appropriate book for an Orthodox Priest to utilize as a means of ministry.

That's really based more on that naivety, but that should give you a good idea that Copts, even to a fault, are rather accepting of other Christians.

I am sure there are others who can respond in much deeper detail, and who can add more information for you. And perhaps, have a difference of opinion from their perspective.

• Dear @ItalianCoptic,
    Thank you for your very wise words.. If I say I can't agree more with all what you said, that would be an understatement. May God bless you and your family and of course your service and may I ask you to please teach younger generations about this naivety and where the line should be drawn between tolerance and adherence to the Coptic Orthodox Church's teachings..
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ Ⲡϭⲥ