Becoming a nun

Hi all,

I'm interested in learning more about what it would take to become a nun and live a monastic life. I want to make sure I know fully what my life would be like if I choose to pursue this path. I'm currently a university student, but what would I do to start preparing from now? And how do I know if this is the right choice for me? I know that if this is indeed what I choose to do, I will have a lot of work to do. I'm completely aware that this is not an easy path but recently I've been very drawn to it. Any comments/information you have would be very helpful. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• edited June 2019
    Please Private Message me and I will send you the phone number of the head of our Monastery. I serve at a Monastery (Convent) and most of the girls are in their 20's and 30's. I have seen a few of them come and just put their trust in God and stayed, so there are some things I can tell you about how to take the next step.

You'll definitely have to come to either the convent in Ohio (My church), or the one down in Georgia. Work on getting a structured prayer schedule, prostrations, the Divine Liturgy, the Liturgical calendar, and enjoy sleep for while you can! I look forward to hearing from you.
  • God bless your love and zeal for God! May God truly direct your paths.
    First thing, I hope it goes without saying to seek the counsel of your father of confession. Ask him to guide you to learn the life of solitude and prayer while in the world. Ideally, you should already be in somewhat of the monastic habits prior to joining the convent.

Second, realize this is a big lifetime commitment. It is highly recommended to live in the professional line of work for around 2 years prior to joining the monastic life. There are many reasons for said advice.

In the end, continuously pray about it, and pray and serve the Lord more and more in the coming years.
  • i have heard that preparing to be a nun/monk, preparing to be married and preparing to be a single person with flatmates who is not actively seeking a husband/wife are all very similar.

basically you need to fast, pray, thank God and love him and work on your spiritual life with your confession father.
    then God will guide you at the right time, and you will be ready to follow His path.
  • Hi ItalianCoptic, it’s been a while since I posted this but I just DMed you. Thank you.