Liturgical 'hoods'

Hey guys,
So I've seen photos of Pope Kyrillos the VI, wearing a some sort of hood in liturgies and also in very old ordination videos, the bishops also wearing a hood, that appear to be in gold or something of the sort. Just wondering if there was any more information on this and why it isn't as apparent today?
Thank you!

Comments

• Bishop David (NYNE) still wears it !
  • edited April 2019
    A lot of Monks wear it when they pray at the Monastery where I serve. Even my Abouna will wear one on occasion. It's just a white cloth over the head, and when you fold it over it looks like a, "hood." It's definitely still around, I would figure 95% of English-speaking Copts don't see it because the Monasteries in the west aren't as revered as those in Egypt, understandably. And there aren't so many in a smaller geographical area, so it's tough to go to Texas, Georgia, Ohio or California if you're a 3 hour plus flight away.
  • I forgot the name of this cloth, but I heard/read somewhere it is reserved for monks and priests+ who never married/remained celibate- including monk priests who weren’t married before, bishops, and the rare number of priests who were married but remained celibate (there was a pope who was like this, he was doubted by his congregation and did a miracle proving it.. anyone remember his name?)
    Now I rarely see it outside of monasteries but I know 1 priest who wears it sometimes and he has 2 kids, so i could be entirely wrong. Pray for me!
  • Ⲭⲣⲓⲥⲧⲟⲥ ⲁⲛⲉⲥⲧⲏ
    @Daniel_Kyrillos,
    His name is Anba Dimitrios the vine dresser
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ Ⲡϭⲥ
  • @Daniel_Kyrillos I have pictures of monks such as Fr Fanous El-Anba Bola wearing the crown (taylasana/mitre)!
  • Ⲭⲣⲓⲥⲧⲟⲥ ⲁⲛⲉⲥⲧⲏ
    @Daniel_Kyrillos, that's nothing to mention
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ Ⲡϭⲥ
  • @Jojo_Hanna im sure there are a bunch of rules about when it is or isn’t work, like I said I know virtually nothing about this
  • I found the answer from a monk over the weekend. They never wore the hoods back then, so since it was just as hat (beanie) it made sense to wear the crown.