Indepedent Coptic State?

Maybe Copts must create an indeoedent Coptic State?Which is your opinion? https://copticliterature.wordpress.com/tag/independent-coptic-state/

Comments

• edited June 2017
    What's a nation or a state?

I've had debates with this blogger. I greatly respect his blog, but his ideas on Coptic nation is a dangerous one in my opinion. In history, anyone who seeks a nation also dabbles in gross injustice against the perceived "enemy". Coptic "nationalists" will deny this, but history does not deny this.

Furthermore, when I mention religious reasons against the idea, I am accused of some sort of hyper-pacifist view of standing complacent in the midst of injustice done against us. And then they quote mine church fathers to say how they support killing against invaders, taking out of context the idea of a controlled state army, and not a haphazard rebellion.

The TRUE state or nation is the Church, the Kingdom of Heaven, which embraces ALL CULTURES, ALL NATIONS, ALL RACES, ALL TONGUES. To use a phrase of a good theologian and friend of mine, this is nothing more than Coptic parochialism. I'm all for reviving Coptic culture, language, and beliefs, but NEVER a worldly state. Such thoughts belong to the Mosaic law, already fulfilled. We are not citizens of the world, but sojourners and strangers, fulfilling our just duties in ANY PLACE God willed us to live while laying a stress on the Kingdom that is from above, being interwoven in the Godhead of the Father in the Son by the Spirit. So our attitude demands a much more different and heavenly approach with necessary practical measures on earth, but not a completely secular, racist, and worldly approach no different than those who seek pure a Aryan nation or a Jewish nation or an Arab Muslim nation, all dangerous.

But secular atheist approaches will accuse these words I have written as coming from cowardice. Complacency and cowardice is not in these words, but it is the fearful political correctness of our approach today. This approach I do not advocate, but there's a great courage and strength in those who stand up with peaceful resistance against injustice to end injustice, and I believe this is rooted in real Orthodox Christianity.
  • But christians have not got good lufe in Egypt.If we create a Coptic christian country i think all egyptian christians live better.
  • edited June 2017
    Part of being if not the point of beig a christian is to be a servant and a helper, it is to endure persecution. It is a blessing to be in the midst of trouble where the most prayers and good loving actions and good news of the gospel is needed, but for sure it is not possible for us without our loving Lord and God who is walking with us, he will be with us in any storm and he will give stenght and hope, we need to cling to him and let him use us in this corrupt world, if we die it is gain because we come to our Lord, and if we live its gain because we can be the light and salt of the world, but our task is to be the light and salt in every nation for all the people not to hide away in a special state. I pray in the name of Christ Jesus that he will guide us and let us be a blessing, that we will be closer to our brothers and sisters in the body of Christ the Church and be together with strenght and love in these difficult times
  • edited June 2017
    "For the Christians are distinguished from other men neither by country, nor language, nor the customs which they observe. For they neither inhabit cities of their own, nor employ a peculiar form of speech, nor lead a life which is marked out by any singularity. The course of conduct which they follow has not been devised by any speculation or deliberation of inquisitive men; nor do they, like some, proclaim themselves the advocates of any merely human doctrines. But, inhabiting Greek as well as barbarian cities, according as the lot of each of them has determined, and following the customs of the natives in respect to clothing, food, and the rest of their ordinary conduct, they display to us their wonderful and confessedly striking method of life. They dwell in their own countries, but simply as sojourners. As citizens, they share in all things with others, and yet endure all things as if foreigners. Every foreign land is to them as their native country, and every land of their birth as a land of strangers. They marry, as do all [others]; they beget children; but they do not destroy their offspring. They have a common table, but not a common bed. They are in the flesh, but they do not live after the flesh. They pass their days on earth, but they are citizens of heaven. They obey the prescribed laws, and at the same time surpass the laws by their lives. They love all men, and are persecuted by all. They are unknown and condemned; they are put to death, and restored to life. They are poor, yet make many rich; they are in lack of all things, and yet abound in all; they are dishonoured, and yet in their very dishonour are glorified. They are evil spoken of, and yet are justified; they are reviled, and bless; they are insulted, and repay the insult with honour; they do good, yet are punished as evil-doers. When punished, they rejoice as if quickened into life; they are assailed by the Jews as foreigners, and are persecuted by the Greeks; yet those who hate them are unable to assign any reason for their hatred.

To sum up all in one word-what the soul is in the body, that are Christians in the world. The soul is dispersed through all the members of the body, and Christians are scattered through all the cities of the world. The soul dwells in the body, yet is not of the body; and Christians dwell in the world, yet are not of the world.

The invisible soul is guarded by the visible body, and Christians are known indeed to be in the world, but their godliness remains invisible. The flesh hates the soul, and wars against it, though itself suffering no injury, because it is prevented from enjoying pleasures; the world also hates the Christians, though in nowise injured, because they abjure pleasures. The soul loves the flesh that hates it, and [loves also] the members; Christians likewise love those that hate them. The soul is imprisoned in the body, yet preserves that very body; and Christians are confined in the world as in a prison, and yet they are the preservers of the world. The immortal soul dwells in a mortal tabernacle; and Christians dwell as sojourners in corruptible [bodies], looking for an incorruptible dwelling in the heavens. The soul, when but ill-provided with food and drink, becomes better; in like manner, the Christians, though subjected day by day to punishment, increase the more in number. God has assigned them this illustrious position, which it were unlawful for them to forsake."

Epistle to Diognetus (2nd century)
    http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.iii.ii.v.html
  • There's no such thing as a "good" life apart from Christ. We may be comfortable in the West, but life is far from "good" here either. People may not be persecuted, but myriads still die on the inside.
  • thanks, mina. one of my favourite quotes about Christians :)
  • Maybe Copts must create an indeoedent Coptic State?Which is your opinion? https://copticliterature.wordpress.com/tag/independent-coptic-state/
    So i think we need a coptic christian country in Egypt.
  • On a slightly less serious note: A lot of Coptic a3mos are so stubborn, if we had a state nothing would get done :))
  • also none of the trains would run on time and fisikh would become the national dish. yuk!
  • i vote fool medames as the national dish
  • I know Copts who want Coptic state.But I don't agree with this.
  • ok, i agree, mixed Egyptian fava beans it is then!