First Time at a Coptic Orthodox Church

Hello all

I am a former Evangelical pastor who has been looking into Orthodoxy. Several years ago, dissatisfied with Protestantism for many reasons, I began to read Church History and the Fathers of the Church. Over time, it has become clear that the OO Church has preserved the Apostolic Faith.

This weekend I will be attended my first service, Vespers and Midnight Praises, at a local Coptic Orthodox Church. What pointers do you have for a first time visitor? I have attended EO services before, but this will be my first time in a Coptic church. 

Comments

• Dear @DLangley,
    May I ask which region are you planning on attending the church in? As a rule of thumb, you could familiarise yourself with two books in our church, the kholagy (euchologion) and psalmody. The former contains the rituals and prayers for liturgical services for example the vespers service and the latter contains a set of Bible passages and other hymns used in praises for example the midnight praises.. God bless you and please mention me and my wife in your prayers always..
    Oujai khan ebshois
  • Thank you friend. I am in the deep South.

I have a Agpeya book and I will look for the others that you suggested.

Please also remember me in your prayers.
  • Dear DLangley,

Glad to hear you're able to find a nearby OO Church. for the most part we Copts are very accommodating, but give the priest a call ahead of time so that he feels somewhat prepared for your needs or at least might have someone there to help you in the service so that you don't get lost.

God bless you!
  • Thank you! I will do that.
  • I'm glad to hear that D Langley I would love to hear more about how u found the Orthodox Church also a good book for you to check out would be a an introduction to the Coptic Orthodox Church by ft.tadros malaty http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/thecopticchurch/Intro_to_the_Coptic_Church_fr_yacoub_malaty.pdf
  • Here is a nice read that should help with the visit:
  • Thank you so much!