God and the Euromillions Lottery

Hi

As Christians, correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't believe in luck. We believe that God decides everything , or that everything is because of His Will.

So, let's say I get the wife or husband of my dreams, and I tell my friends: "Well, I met her or him by luck", they would tell me (if they were a Christian): "No. Its not possible. God planned it, because that person is just so perfect for you".

If I were to play the Euromillions lottery and win - would that be God's will? I couldn't say it is chance. Could I? Because, as we've agreed, we don't believe in luck. We just believe in God's Will.

So, if I were to play and actually win, then that would be God's Will. Right? 

What If I won the lottery twice? That would definately be God's will. Correct?

So, if I play and keep on losing, it means God doesn't want me to win? Correct?

Yet God apparently wants someone else to win?? 

Let's take a look at the above story: God didnt allow me to win, but He allowed this couple to not only win, but win twice. 

Is that correct?

I haven't played this draw, or the 1 million euro draw, but I just wish to know that if I did play, if God doesn't want me to win, He'd let someone else keep on winning anyway. Would that be the right way of looking at it?

Comments

• edited April 2015
    "As Christians, correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't believe in luck. We believe that God decides everything , or that everything is because of His Will."

No. This then suggests predestination. We believe in freedom and God's grace. This is highly related to something I wanted to discuss in a thread, yet the thread didn't develop much: http://tasbeha.org/community/discussion/15587/does-god-micro-manage-or-macro-manage#latest

"So, let's say I get the wife or husband of my dreams, and I tell my friends: "Well, I met her or him by luck", they would tell me (if they were a Christian): "No. Its not possible. God planned it, because that person is just so perfect for you".

If I were to play the Euromillions lottery and win - would that be God's will? I couldn't say it is chance. Could I? Because, as we've agreed, we don't believe in luck. We just believe in God's Will."

An answer that personally satisfied me was Proverbs 2. "He guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones."

I may be mistaken, but it seems that the righteous are helped and protected through prayers. God's will may be manifested through our constant prayers. No prayers, then the natural course of the world (and of evil for that matter) takes its course. So prayers have a HUGE impact on the course of things. Now, we can also look at what St. James says:

"When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures."

i.e. So, the person who meets the perfect person, either has truly met the perfect person for them because of their prayers (either theirs, or their partner) - or, if they haven't prayed, then no, they have not met the perfect person but because of their prayers now, that person may be shaped by God to be like the person that completes them.
  • Now, for the lottery. The verse answers that clearly: "When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures."

Now what about the person that won? Nothing special. It is a game of odds. There must be a winner. The nature course of the world takes its course. You may win, just as likely as someone else. You play odds. 
  • Im so sorry, I was so envious that they won twice, that I had to talk about it.

I need counselling.