Coptic Devotional Prayers/Services

edited December 2014 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
Are there any Coptic devotional personal prayers or services aside from prayers of the hours and the Jesus Prayer (I am aware of the Agpeia)? For instance, the EO have Canons and Akathists and the Latins have Chaplets and Novenas. Is there anything similar to this in the Coptic church?

Comments

• No it's just the Agpia
  • Every prayer in the Coptic Church is a personal prayer if you personally pray it, even the communal ones. 
  • edited December 2014
    Remnkemi said:

Every prayer in the Coptic Church is a personal prayer if you personally pray it, even the communal ones. 

Including "This bread He makes into His Holy Body"?
  • I don't really understand the question? 

But if it is what I think you mean, then yes. This too is a personal prayer. This bread is His Holy Body. We are members of His Holy Body. Therefore, the bread He makes into His Holy Body is us. If I fail to recognize that Christ came to make me His Holy Body, then my understanding of Christology and the incarnation is a farce and my relationship with Christ is not based on a personal covenant with me that He started before creation best expressed in Orthodox hymnography. 

Just because someone else comes up with the words, doesn't mean the words are not personal in every single way. If the words are not, if we have not internalized our lex orandi, lex credendi and lex vivendi (As we worship, so we believe and so we live), then we are nothing more than pseudo-Christian zombies and robots. Every word in every prayer has deep spiritual meaning. When I understand that meaning, it becomes personal to me.

Did this answer your question?
  • Remnkemi said:

I don't really understand the question? 

But if it is what I think you mean, then yes. This too is a personal prayer. This bread is His Holy Body. We are members of His Holy Body. Therefore, the bread He makes into His Holy Body is us. If I fail to recognize that Christ came to make me His Holy Body, then my understanding of Christology and the incarnation is a farce and my relationship with Christ is not based on a personal covenant with me that He started before creation best expressed in Orthodox hymnography. 

Just because someone else comes up with the words, doesn't mean the words are not personal in every single way. If the words are not, if we have not internalized our lex orandi, lex credendi and lex vivendi (As we worship, so we believe and so we live), then we are nothing more than pseudo-Christian zombies and robots. Every word in every prayer has deep spiritual meaning. When I understand that meaning, it becomes personal to me.

Did this answer your question?

Thanks Rem it very much answered my (admittedly loaded) question. I agree with you. But would like to qualify that it is a personal prayer prayed in a liturgical setting. Someone can't just pray it on their own.