HG Bishop Karas, Newly Appointed General Bishop for Maqar

So I received an email from our parish priest, who said HG Bishop Karas, who succeeds HG Bishop David as the new general bishop of the Archdiocese of North America situated in NJ, will be visiting our parish this Sunday for the 10th anniversary of its consecration.

So what happened to Abouna Seraphim al Souriany?

Comments

• What do you mean general bishop for 'Maqar'?
  • It means mahgar that translates to diaspora..
    Oujai
  • Maqar refers ti "el-maqqar' as the residence of the bishop or in this case, the Pope being our bishop.

Abouna Seraphim I believe will be going back to Hawaii but I might be mistaken. 
  • Yes, we call the headquarters for the "Archdiocese of North America" "Al Maqar", which is situated in Cedar Grove, NJ.
  • there was a bishop karas who was ordained recently (i think in february 2014) who was going to be a general bishop in cairo.
    is this a different bishop karas?

they are both named after one of my favourite saints, who left a life as the emperor's brother to live humbly in the desert and become a monk.
  • I think that's the same one Mabsoota.  He was originally in Cairo.  Now, apparently HH Pope Tawadros sent him to NJ
  • Sorry my mistake I thought it was the auto-correct on the original poster's gadget. 
     It's the same one who was serving in Norwich and recently in Newcastle too. He didn't know at first As he thought he would be in Cairo but now the decision has already been taken..
    Oujai
  • wow, you are all very blessed in new jersey!

anba karas was the first orthodox priest i met; he was filling in for the priest in south england on a few occasions when i visited the church there.
    he really loves all people, in the church and outside as well, may God preserve his live and bless his spiritual children.

where is bishop david going? i have seen him occasionally on youtube, he seems to be very knowledgeable and dedicated.
  • Mabsoota, you didn't know? For a couple of months now a new diocese has been formed in the US (New York and New England states), and HG Bishop David has been the first official diocesan bishop for it
  • i am in uk. sorry i did not pay so much attention to what happens in usa.
    congratulations to anba david.
    and congratulations to you who have received the much loved and missed anba karas!

may God bless the work you all do for His kingdom.
  • I'm from Regina, SK and we don't have a priest yet. we heard that Anba Karas will be responsible of deputing priests from Egypt to North America to those congregations who haven't a permanent priests. Accordingly I need to get contact details of general bishop of the Archdiocese of North America H.G Bishop Karas.

is it any one have the same? for confidentiality you can send it to my email [email protected]
  • Saskatchewan, Canada! 

Come on, Mina. So educated in theology, yet you don't know anything about the greatest country in the world. Must be because your'e from Jersey

:P

Ray

• I have sinned, forgive me!

I'm not sure if HG Bishop Karas is vicar for all of North America anymore. But just in case it's temporary, I would have thought that you talked to HH when he was in Canada with you guys.

From what I understand, HH will now make a diocesan bishop for Eastern Canada and a general bishop for the Archdiocese of Central Canada, I.e. Toronto.

If you are West of Toronto, you should be contacting HG Bishop Mina, diocesan bishop of that area.
  • Does eastern Canada mean east of Toronto (i.e., Montreal)? I thought Bishop Mina's diocese was all Vancouver, British Colombia and all the way east to Mississauga. If this is the case, where is the Archdiocese of Central Canada going to be located geographically?

And I had no idea what SK was either. Thankfully, I am not educated in anything and I don't come from Jersey.
  • edited September 2014
    @Remnkemi

Yes, Eastern Canada means Montreal. You are also correct about Bishop Mina's diocese of Western Canada. Central Canada includes only the part of Toronto that is east of Mississauga. It is extremely small (geographically that is, certainly not in numbers) compared to the 2 proper dioceses.
  • my friend is moving to saskatoon.
    are there any orthodox churches nearby?
    she is not (yet) orthodox...
    ;-)
  • Ya, geographically, it looks like SK should be HG Bishop Mina. You guys already have a diocesan bishop. Is he not responding to calls or what?