Is Universal Priesthood a thing?

How does it work? I'm trying to get a grasp on this. Could I baptize someone? I haven't been baptized myself but I feel like I could baptize someone in an emergency. Is that thing? Thanks.

Comments

• Where did you hear about this and what makes a baptism "an emergency"?!
  • I don't remember.
  • edited July 2014
    I think there was this story about St. Dionysius the Great, where he tried to baptize the baby and the water froze underneath to prevent the baptism.  This was following the fact that the mother decided to do the sign of the cross on her baby with her blood in a storm when they were on a boat.

Even though, that's a very extreme circumstance of a story.  Assuming that the story is true, any reasonable action possible should be taken to have a certified cleric (certified by the bishop) to baptize.  This has been the Church's teachings.

As for universal priesthood, yes, we are all priests and kings.  We believe that.  We are consecrated as "Christs" in the sacrament of chrismation.  That is we are priests to the world, sacrificing ourselves for others.  The first order of the priesthood is the order of Chrismation.  But the ministration of the sacraments is through the bishops, presbyters, and deacons.
  • edited July 2014
    self-edit. too many beers yesterday. I'm sorry.
  • edited July 2014
    There were also Ethiopians in Jerusalem who were converted by St. Peter.  I can imagine that these two accounts of the Ethiopians were not the only Ethiopians who were converted into Christ.

Edit:  My mistake.  It doesn't explicitly mention any Ethiopians, but it does mention there were people from every nation.  My point though is the Bible does not give every single account of conversion that occurs.
  • Let's not forget St. Frumentius. My favorite saint, after St. Mark.
  • C'mon, this is the easy part.