Help with a few Verses

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi Guys!

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand this verse in the bible

Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

7 A man ought not to cover his head,[a] since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own[b] head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.

13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16 If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God. (1 corinthians 11:4-16)

Is this implying that women should cover their heads all the time or just during prayer ? If it is only during prayer then why do nuns cover their heads all the time ?

I hope someone can help me understand!!

Thank you and God Bless!

Comments

• Ya St. Paul is talking about women having their head covered during church services. Nuns are a different thing not referring to this verse, it's just like how monks cover their heads all the time.
  • I smell fish guts.

Ray
  • [quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=14588.msg165761#msg165761 date=1377479444]
    I smell fish guts.

Ray

Care to elaborate on what you mean Ray?
  • Yes as geomike said only during church services and prayers. As for nuns they are devoted to Christ and so the whole world becomes their service because they are called by God to serve in the world, so in a way their life is a continuous prayer. However monks and priests would cover their head to symbolise a superiority over their heads, that is Christ Himself. This is a top level practise, not a requirement for lay people who St. Paul was addressing in that part..
    Oujai
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=14588.msg165762#msg165762 date=1377482976]
    [quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=14588.msg165761#msg165761 date=1377479444]
    I smell fish guts.

Ray

Care to elaborate on what you mean Ray?

NO ELABORATION!!! Ray, please only comment with beneficial information.
  • Thanks for the help guys , appreciated

God Bless!
  • [quote author=Altair91 link=topic=14588.msg165769#msg165769 date=1377579932]
    Thanks for the help guys , appreciated

God Bless!

NO problem Altair, anytime you have a question we'd be glad to answer it. It's good you're reading that closely though, keep it up
  • Tasgeel, welcome to the vertebrae phylum! Stop being so easily shaken. Be careful not to consider questions as being serious when driven by ulterior motives.

Altair, it's good that you have your answer, but may I ask why you have asked this question? Would it have anything to do with the claim the Islamic veils subject women, and an attempt to compare that with Christianity? Any question carries a cause, and almost all your posts on this site have been islamically driven and in defence of Islam. What I am asking is merely, "what do you want to know." The answer to that question influences whether or not your question should be answered.

Christ refused to answer many "questions."

Ray
  • Paul says to Timothy be ready in season and out of season
    He means only when someone asks for a word I think
  • because many muslims see this verse as Christianity endorsing women to wear a head scarf, which to some certain extent it does. I wanted to make sure if it applies to everyday life or just for some certain occasions.
  • Thank you, Altair :)
  • NKJV
    16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

This one answers it but you wrote

16 If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God. (1 corinthians 11:4-16)

why? probably you added that by accident since you found it hard to copy the exact text if you are using a phone or did you do it on purpose ? or does it mean the same thing?
  • I dont know I just copied and pasted so most likely by accident
  • Ok thanks for clarifying