Other types of orthodox

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
If a Coptic Orthodox person met a potential spouse who is Eastern Orthodox & who is very active in his/her church. Would it be wrong if the Coptic Orthodox person converts to Eastern Orthodox if the relationship led to marriage? If not, why? Thanks 

Comments

• I'm in love with an atheist. I don't connect with people in my church for some odd reason, so I took whoever loved me first.
  • Christ loved you first? Or has Dawkins in his stupidity and self centered disgrace for intelligence found a way to deter you? Has Sam Harris in his fairy tales lied you into this falsehood. It is clear you are seeking fulfillment as we all are, but you have gone to an empty well. Not only will you draw nothing to quench your thirst, but you may fall and break your neck.

I love you brother, message me if we need to talk

Ray
  • Yeah man, I'm not really in love with an atheist. I have a purpose with these mad posts.... but I do need to talk man.

Oh by the way, excuse that last post of mine. I really liked this girl from our faith and church but then learned she became an atheist... yeah.
  • Can someone please give me their opinion, with respect and without making fun of my post. I'm here to seek advice from my sisters and brothers thought Christ. Thanks
  • You shouldn't need to convert but you would need to talk to a priest or Bishop for guidance. I'm in a slightly different situation in that my wife is Russian Orthodox and we were married in the Coptic church. She did not convert nor was she baptised again and don't believe anyone who says this is required. She has communion in the Coptic church sometimes but generally she goes to the Russian church. Being a subdeacon I don't have communion if I go to the Russian church as my opinion is the deaconate are part of the clergy.

The official stance as per the Agreement signed between the Coptic and Greek church is a couple can marry in either church but the church they marry in are responsible for them.
  • [quote author=Servant link=topic=14501.msg165240#msg165240 date=1371945739]
    Can someone please give me their opinion, with respect and without making fun of my post. I'm here to seek advice from my sisters and brothers thought Christ. Thanks

Servant,

I don;t recall anyone insulting you at all :D Forgive me if my post was taken offensively. There are differing opinions on this matter, so forgive me for giving the typical answers, which is "Speak to your priest." Such questions don't have a basic model of answering, so speaking to your spiritual father who know you and your situation, and who is well versed in such affairs will be able to better guide you.

Ray
  • if u both want to serve God, He will guide you and lead you to the church you need to be in. both families of orthodox churches are Christian so if you think you will go to an eastern orthodox church, it is good to choose one that accepts this fact.
    may God help you and guide your priests with good answers for you.