hymns tunes

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
In the lakan and liturgy of covenant Thursday during communion they each have a psali. One says to say in the watos tune and the other says the tune of pikebernetees. Can someone who actually knows say definitively what these tunes are without guessing and debating.

Also, during the blessing of the house, the hymn ououwini is supposed to be said in Adam tune. Which one is this.

Comments

• Pikeperntees is a hymn or a tune that I believe was put for or by saint Severus of Antioch...and it is the annual mohayar tune the watos one that changes .

For the piouoinee I think you said it in the same tune as the morning doxology
  • I agree with Mina's response above. The tunes referred to are the annual mohayar (Batos) and morning doxology (Adam).
  • Mina, I think a few doxologies for popes would start with bekawarnetais, at least I know of pope Athanasius'
    Why do people here write the coptic w sound as b? And in Mina's case p?!!! The correct pronunciation is bekawarnetais, and in Greco-bohairic it's pronounced with a v. As for watos it's done with v in such a flawed dialect.

[ I apologize for editing this post. It was a mistake. I meant to quote ] -minatasgeel
  • Mina, I think a few doxologies for popes would start with bekawarnetais, at least I know of pope Athanasius'

now that you mention it, St Severus Doxology start that way:
    http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/1902

Why do people here write the coptic w sound as b? And in Mina's case p?!!! The correct pronunciation is bekawarnetais, and in Greco-bohairic it's pronounced with a v. As for watos it's done with v in such a flawed dialect.

PLEASE LIMIT ANY COMMENTS ON OB ON THE OTHER POST....using the word "correct" implement that the other is wrong....i won't accept that personalty and i wont bash others for their beliefs.

As for me, i don't like writing transliterations but for the sake of time, i do. if i think about it too much when i am typing, then it defeats the purpose of not spending much time on it :-)......
  • I'm sorry Mina I seem to have offended you by me trying to correct some mistakes I saw.. I won't do that again
    oujai
  • The correct way is Watos not vatos nor batos. This is well documented in the liturgical books.

There is no reason to be offended when corrected. We all make mistakes and probe to error.

• [quote author=imikhail link=topic=14407.msg164453#msg164453 date=1368031067]
    There is no reason to be offended when corrected. We all make mistakes and probe to error.

I am not offended of being corrected but rather forcing a specific dialect and defining it to be the "correct" one. this is the loooong and ever-ending argument between OB and GB and you guys keep bringing it up....in ALL POSTS where a coptic word is mentioned.
  • I think it should be mentioned. Why not correct people's mistakes if one sees one? Isn't this a Christian forum after all? Or is it a professional one, where there is no place for humility and acceptance of other people's corrections?
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=14407.msg164456#msg164456 date=1368033129]
    I think it should be mentioned. Why not correct people's mistakes if one sees one? Isn't this a Christian forum after all? Or is it a professional one, where there is no place for humility and acceptance of other people's corrections?
    Oujai qen `P[C

ya fady......you know me better than this. you know my intention behind what i said. hanlef wendoor 3ala ba3d?!
  • I didn't want to make it personal towards you only - but seriously I thought you caught the same train like every body else's, you know what I mean?
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=14407.msg164462#msg164462 date=1368035325]
    I didn't want to make it personal towards you only - but seriously I thought you caught the same train like every body else's, you know what I mean?
    Oujai qen `P[C

i don't think we need to consider anything here. no one has done any mistakes here to be corrected.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=14407.msg164463#msg164463 date=1368035453]
    [quote author=ophadece link=topic=14407.msg164462#msg164462 date=1368035325]
    I didn't want to make it personal towards you only - but seriously I thought you caught the same train like every body else's, you know what I mean?
    Oujai qen `P[C

i don't think we need to consider anything here. no one has done any mistakes here to be corrected.

Coptic is part of the heritage with which we have been entrusted. Watos is a very well documented word in the Church Taks and topass it on as Vatos or Batos is wrong.
  • Dear imikhail,
    Now that you repeated yourself in this manner, you made me feel even more that you meant I was wrong in the beginning. Typing on this forum from my mobile makes it tedious, and I try to use the fewest words possible to convey my meaning. I certainly was unable to do that here. I didn't intend in my post to say that "vatos" was right, I was only commenting on the way people wrongly pronounce words, and so I said something along the lines of "even in the flawed Greco-Bohairic dialect, it is so and so".
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=14407.msg164467#msg164467 date=1368035810]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=14407.msg164463#msg164463 date=1368035453]
    Oujai qen `P[C

Coptic is part of the heritage with which we have been entrusted. Watos is a very well documented word in the Church Taks and topass it on as Vatos or Batos is wrong.

:-). you are in the Southern Diocese, correct?! Go ask HGBY about what they have in all their books and tell us what he says.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=14407.msg164470#msg164470 date=1368036322]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=14407.msg164467#msg164467 date=1368035810]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=14407.msg164463#msg164463 date=1368035453]
    Oujai qen `P[C

:-). you are in the Southern Diocese, correct?! Go ask HGBY about what they have in all their books and tell us what he says.

You can ask him yourself that question. I know his opinions.

The books produced in the diaspora are not reference. Or are they?

Specifically those produced in the SUS do contain numerous errors. This is a fact acknowledged by HGBY.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=14407.msg164472#msg164472 date=1368036812]
    You can ask him yourself that question. I know his opinions. The books produced in the diaspora are not reference.

I don't need to prove anything. I only use Watos because that is what is used in the arabic and i am aware of the difference between OB and GB and simply choose to keep the distinction.

Specifically those produced in the SUS do contain numerous errors. This is a fact acknowledged by HGBY.

wiattttt. so he is aware of the errors, yet he still publishes them?
    you do know that he reviewed ALL texts before they are printed. something like the many titles that include "Batos" cannot be missed by his grace...
    actually, i even heard his grace in one of the cyc shows specifically using "Batos" as he talks about hymns.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=14407.msg164474#msg164474 date=1368037332]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=14407.msg164472#msg164472 date=1368036812]
    You can ask him yourself that question. I know his opinions. The books produced in the diaspora are not reference.

I don't need to prove anything. I only use Watos because that is what is used in the arabic and i am aware of the difference between OB and GB and simply choose to keep the distinction.

wiattttt. so he is aware of the errors, yet he still publishes them?
    you do know that he reviewed ALL texts before they are printed. something like the many titles that include "Batos" cannot be missed by his grace...
    actually, i even heard his grace in one of the cyc shows specifically using "Batos" as he talks about hymns.

That is why I asked you to contact him to verify what I am telling you.

Specifically the Deacon's book was not reviewed by HG. The Coptic Reader has many errors that we tried to tweak right before the Pascha week.

The point is these books produced in the diaspora are based on other sources. It is up to the one who copies to honestly copy without their own input.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=14407.msg164461#msg164461 date=1368034624]
    [quote author=ophadece link=topic=14407.msg164456#msg164456 date=1368033129]
    I think it should be mentioned. Why not correct people's mistakes if one sees one? Isn't this a Christian forum after all? Or is it a professional one, where there is no place for humility and acceptance of other people's corrections?
    Oujai qen `P[C

ya fady......you know me better than this. you know my intention behind what i said. hanlef wendoor 3ala ba3d?!

In other Christian forums, arguing with an administrator about how he runs a forum is grounds to revoke your account. Constantly hijacking threads is punishable. We are all lucky that Mina has a big heart and he is very patient. Let's not abuse his kindness. Stick to the topic at hand and don't worry so much about correcting mistakes, especially about pronunciation. I could get into why it's not eve a mistake but that is for a different OB thread. Unless it is a full blown heresy that you are correcting, it is simple to ask Mina or another admin if a response is warranted to begin with.
  • Thanks Remenkimi.. I'm really sorry to everyone.. it seems you also have been offended but didn't want to upset me.. sorry again
    oujai