Fasting

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Dear Christians,

I have questions for you

1. On Lent fasting days...how long should we fast and what type of food is allowed?
2. Is there really a fasting upto 12 lunch time or people just created it?
3. Let us say all your friends fast till 12 lunch time and you want to fast upto 3 or more...how can you do this without making yourself different or attracting attention/vain glory? our spiritual level is so low that what considered normal/unworthy of notice for christians is becoming the work of saints these days.

Let the Peace and Love of Jesus Christ be upon all of us!

Comments

• - For the entire Lent period, fasting is "vegan"=no meat of any kind, no seafood, no dairy, no eggs.

- We are to fast, abstaining from food, for as long as possible during weekdays, Mon-Fri. It is not set how many hours since this affects every individual's body needs. St Mark's jersey city does liturgies from 4-7 pm. back in freshman yr in high school, i use to take breakfast in the morning and then goto liturgy, taking communion at 7pm. that's atleast 9 hours of fasting for communion. later years, i was able to fast from midnight the night before will 7pm. many people do that. other churches have liturgies from noon to 2-3 pm and people also fast from midnight to they break the fast by taking communion.

- Lent is a general fast that is performed by all in church. we are not to hide that kind of fast to others. It shouldn't cause pride unless you yourself make it get to your head.

• I have let people know so that they can respect what I was doing. They would offer food on special occations and I could not eat it. Nothing to do with pride.
  • While any spiritual discipline is of course done in consultation with the spiritual father, most early sources (I am thinking mainly of Abul-Barakat and others around the same era) stipulate fasting until 3pm. This also agrees with some of the ritual manuals and manuscripts that indicate praying the liturgy after the 9th hour (not after the 12th hour as is done nowadays, which would imply starting liturgy after 6pm or so).

A better look at this would outline the different practices prescribed in various canonical collections, such as the canons of Ibn Al-Assal (13th cent), Pope Cyril II, Cyril III, the Canons of Athanasius, Gabriel ibn Turaik...etc.