Biblical arrangement

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I have some questions:

How were the books of the bible named? Who named them?

On what basis were the books of the bible divided into chapters and verses?

Thanks

Comments

• The books of the Bible are mostly named after: who wrote them (For example, Gospel of Mark is written by St Mark and likewise the book of Jeremiah is written by Jeremiah the Prophet), their contents (The book of Psalms contains Psalms, the book of Revelations is a revelation or vision seen by St John), who they are addressed to (the epistle of St Paul, Corinthians, is addressed to the city of Corinth) or a general idea of the book (Exodus, meaning exit, is Moses talking about the children of Israel's exit from Egypt and there after).

I'm not sure who named it or made it to be like this, and I am also not sure why they were put into verses and chapters, so someone else could answer that..

But to take a guess, they were probably organised into verses and chapters for any one of these reasons: in was accordance to how they were written, for easier reading and/or to spilt up the parts of the writing that spoke about different things (without jumbling them up of course).
  • [quote author=Athanasius1 link=topic=14194.msg162911#msg162911 date=1358831688]
    The books of the Bible are mostly named after: who wrote them (For example, Gospel of Mark is written by St Mark and likewise the book of Jeremiah is written by Jeremiah the Prophet), their contents (The book of Psalms contains Psalms, the book of Revelations is a revelation or vision seen by St John), who they are addressed to (the epistle of St Paul, Corinthians, is addressed to the city of Corinth) or a general idea of the book (Exodus, meaning exit, is Moses talking about the children of Israel's exit from Egypt and there after).

I'm not sure who named it or made it to be like this, and I am also not sure why they were put into verses and chapters, so someone else could answer that..

But to take a guess, they were probably organised into verses and chapters for any one of these reasons: in was accordance to how they were written, for easier reading and/or to spilt up the parts of the writing that spoke about different things (without jumbling them up of course).

The naming is ancient.  The chapters and verses were added by the Protestants.

•   The chapters: Stephen Langton    Archbishop of Canterbury.

The verses: Robert Estienne    A printer and former catholic who converted to protestant.
  • Thank you for the answers guys.

So one person went ahead and organised the bible into chapters all by himself?

•   I think it does help us with memory and I don't think it changes our salvation any.